Response to SMS's Constant Weapon Ring Complaints

Status
Not open for further replies.
But killing somebody with auto-ring and attraction shield just doesn't give you the feeling you've won.

Auto-Ring and Attraction on a bad SMS player loses to a good Amy player. For default characters, Sonic and Tails respectively.

You know why? It's this thing called skill. Weapons and items are not unbalancers, they are balancers. I may only have six rings, but if I have a rail, then those six rings will last longer and be put to better use than if I had sixty without. If that player has gotten 350 rings and auto and attraction, my two Rails will hit him before his fifty, sixty, or even two hundred auto rings hit me-provided I know how to shoot a Rail ring. This is a bad example though-no map should have both Auto and Rail in it.

In a map with no weapons or boxes, what are we left with? Regular rings. In regular rings versus regular rings, the player with more rings wins. Why? Because in a game where the most viable attacking strategy is "Spray and Pray", whoever can let more rings in the air is more likely to hit. In a game where one hit disables ninety percent of your offense and makes you even less likely to hit, whoever has the least chance to hit is in the least advantageous position.

In the official maps, under the default settings, the solution is to find a balancer-a shield, a weapon, or some other support. If there are no shields, no weapons, no speed shoes or invincibility, how does a player in a less advantageous position fix that? Skill plays a large part, but in a game and map with only one strategy-find every ring and shoot it at every player, no ifs, ands, or snipes-skill will not go far enough.

I am just gonna say it right now... LEGENDARY THREAD!
Its like the intelligent version of "how do i jump?"

Shuffle said:
Other than "You suck at SRB2", I haven't seen any flames.

Hasn't that been said like, 30 times already?

And yeah, Blue is right. That was the post that really got my attention.

Oh man...Wouldn't it be funny is Mystic locked the topic?

Started them locked :mrgreen:

Ne'ways, I'm suprised SMS hasn't posted here more :eek:

Mystic said:
A huge post that got made at Monday May 14, 2007 9:49 pm

So far, you say those weapons such as armagedon and invincibility are there to get players with great powerups of their trone.

In that case, why not make a option to give players that have the lowest scores get more of the awesome items such as invincibility, and give players with a huge score more of the 10 ring boxes, runshoes, blue shield items, and eggboxes? That would be the perfect!

...How would you do that with a deafed monitor, exactly?

Mystic said:
And I'll note that that post got him tempbanned from the forums. No complexity there.

Saw that and figured as much.

Super mystic sonic said:
Mystic said:
A huge post that got made at Monday May 14, 2007 9:49 pm

So far, you say those weapons such as armagedon and invincibility are there to get players with great powerups of their trone.

In that case, why not make a option to give players that have the lowest scores get more of the awesome items such as invincibility, and give players with a huge score more of the 10 ring boxes, runshoes, blue shield items, and eggboxes? That would be the perfect!

Because that would probably take a wholehelluvalotta code.

Umm...No...THATS not fair...fair means everyone has the same chance

People would purposly get the lowest score just to get good items

NeoJames said:
Umm...No...THATS not fair...fair means everyone has the same chance

People would purposly get the lowest score just to get good items

Yes, but then they might get caught out by the time limit and appear last on the table. How about just having it so every time a player is KILLED (not dies of pit or whatever), he/she speeds up. And every time a player kills another it makes them slower?

Only as an appliable option, or course, it would have to be optional to the game.

Again, that's not fair either. Whiplash code, while it can be fun in games like Mario Kart, has a few drawbacks. Namely, especially in smaller games, it's to a person's benefit to intentionally stay behind until the end of the round, and then suddenly pwn with whatever ridiculous item they have and take the victory at the end.

Instead, we don't weight it towards a specific player. The powerup spawned. It's up to the players to find and use it. We can't particularly help that the person who has Attraction and 350 rings is more likely to be the good player who will notice that the Invincibility monitor spawned.

I will note that I have frequently lost my Attraction Shield because I noticed an Armageddon Shield spawned, and I hit the box to prevent someone from hitting me with it.

I've also taken out someone with an Armageddon Shield without getting hit. It doesn't happen much, but with Rail or some exceptionally good timing, you can hit the player from far enough away that the explosion radius doesn't hit you.

The weapons in SRB2 are surprisingly well-balanced, considering. A lot of effort was spent to make sure that the powerful items came up infrequently. Armageddon, Attraction, and Invincibility are rare enough that under the normal settings they shouldn't appear much at all. I will note, however, that if you set the monitors to random, instead of normal, the random monitors are NOT weighted, and you have an equal chance to get any powerup (or Eggman, for that matter) on the random monitors. There is only one randomly respawning monitor on most match stages, and with that one random respawn, generally you'll only have one of the powerful items appear, if any, in the course of a 5 minute game.

Well, what is the explosion radius for the armageddon sheild? It would be useful information to know, this way you can estimate how far away you have to be from the player to not be affected.

Mystic said:
Again, that's not fair either. Whiplash code, while it can be fun in games like Mario Kart, has a few drawbacks. Namely, especially in smaller games, it's to a person's benefit to intentionally stay behind until the end of the round, and then suddenly pwn with whatever ridiculous item they have and take the victory at the end.

I suppose you're right in that. I always don't make a superstart on purpose to get a golden mushroom in Mario Kart DS.

Instead, we don't weight it towards a specific player. The powerup spawned. It's up to the players to find and use it. We can't particularly help that the person who has Attraction and 350 rings is more likely to be the good player who will notice that the Invincibility monitor spawned.

We all know you grabbed the armagedon shield for that AND because a armagedon shield is generally more powerfull than attraction with the right timing. If you already took 400 rings with attraction, why not switch it to a new shield. I mean, you already have about infinite rings(unless you got auto-ring), so a armagedon shield is only more of a 250 points extra award.

Actually, I prefer Attraction to the Armageddon Shield. It's easier to dominate the map with Attraction, because you can remove a lot of the ring supply for the other players to fight back, and you can take all of the opponent's rings when you hit them. Armageddon is one hit. After that it's gone. Attraction lasts until you lose it. Having 350 rings isn't the point of Attraction. Attraction makes actually getting the 100 points for killing other players much more feasible, so you can get a LOT more than the 200-300 points you get for a well-timed Armageddon blast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back