New Updates finally uploaded

Updates include:

- New textures
- Huge level design changes
- More secrets
- Multiplayer compatibility
- Lua script by Badnik for light dash.
- Less need for a modified character

Question, is this the final version, answer, no. This is simply an update to the newer stuff. Things that yet to be added:

- Modified Character
- New acts (currently in progress)
- Stuff from people.

I should also say, this version is quite different from the first. I recommend re - downloads from all who had downloaded it earlier, due to the major changes enlisted in this update.

Last edited:
Right off the bat I'm seein' a couple issues that need to be fixed....
pRo9ODY.png
(near the split after the first spring with the red crawlas) and
98Nk8Vc.png
(I got lost trying to find the emerald hidden in the structure and decided to jump out the window)

other than that, I REALLY love what you've done to update these stages!

1.) There are spoiler tags

2.) Updated fixes to all the problems stated above, and more death pits that I forgot to make death pits :p.

Gonna bugreport more detailed later, but....

d78630ef0e.png

a47c9be72e.gif

Lack of textures not being that obvious but a lack anyhow =P

Le issue fixed. Btw, that grass/snow part is fine, if looking at it the right way. It's made so that if you look from SHZ to mixed, you see snow. And if you look from mixed to SHZ, you see grass.

If I may, I have a idea on how to fix the mach speed + analog control issue.
Could you possibly execute a script with the command "cam_still 1" at the begining of the mach speed section and one with "cam_still 0" at the end?

@Rum: cam_still has a different view compared to the current view of the mach speed, and it's a bit confusing and disorienting, not to mention it wouldn't be able to keep the camera angle looking downwards at the player at all times. But thanks for trying to think of ways to fix it.

@duon fixed. Attachment updated.

Also, anyone have any more suggestions/recommendations before the next update?

Anyone find the 5 hidden Robotniks yet?

Change the 2D activator in Splash Hill to continuous. With each time, if two people use it at the same time (basically if it's played in multiplayer at all) only the lower node gets the effect.

@Slacker: I tried using continuous right now, and it didn't seem to work properly. The player when respawing after death would need to move in 3d, up to the sector where the 2d trigger is, which is an obvious problem. However the problem you stated still remains a problem in itself. I see you posted a bug report for that, and hopefully there will be a way around this.

Another news: the map pack has been updated again. Redownload the attachment due to such updates

Also, current opinions on the updated version?

I personally enjoyed the new changes you did to this pack. The levels themselves got longer and a bit more challenging, and everything got a nice coat of paint which makes everything look very visually appealing give or take Manray Zone (since it's more or less the same graphically). I had some qualms with enemy placement feeling a lot like the 1.09.4 days where everything was just kinda scattered around, but it's not too big of a concern (except for this buzz). Though I have to wonder; what's with the name change? The name medpack keeps reminding me of actual medipacks and I didn't see anything wrong with the other name.

JnYgSUz.gif

I don't really feel like going super into detail right now on all of these maps, but you've updated this pack enough that I feel like I owe you at least some input at this point.

I think the mach speed sections work pretty well, and are definitely the highpoint of the pack. It feels a bit out of place in a game like SRB2, though, which doesn't use other modern 3D Sonic game conceits except through modification. However, it could make for some great chaos emerald stages, given their similarity to 3D Blast's emerald levels.

Taking out the snowball pushing puzzles in the ice level was a good idea, but now those areas feel a bit barren. It's not enough just to take out a gimmick that didn't work; you need to rework the whole stage now.

I'm kind of surprised that the 2D section of Splash Hill zone is still in the pack, though. It's true that I have a prejudice against 2D in SRB2, but I'll admit a 2D level is well designed from time to time (Clock Towers zone being the one example that comes to mind). There's really nothing interesting about Splash Hill zone's intro, though. It functions, and doesn't do anything interesting. The rest of the level, though short, is much better.

@jasper: yeah the enemy placement is something I sometimes struggle with, though in my opinion the placement in this pack seems fine. Also that buzz enemy usually gets destroyed by me at the very entrance of the cave, but I see how it could be a problem for others. Will be changed next update.

The name change was done because it will in a later update contain more levels and zones, other than the 3 currently added. After all, at first it was a simply port of two levels from 2.0 era, now it expanded.

(Every character breaks reality if spindash + dash pads are used :p)

I've began working on other levels and zones, so unless a serious problem arises, the next time this pack will he updated will be when a zone or two will be ready to join these levels. Anything more to improve on/add to/remove/change?

this is in my opinion, the best wad for me, including the music, but everytime i get a life SRB2 crashes, can you fix that?

this is in my opinion, the best wad for me, including the music, but everytime i get a life SRB2 crashes, can you fix that?

(sorry for late reply)
Honestly I don't see myself working on this anymore anytime soon, or if ever, solely for the reasons of:

1.) Most of this mappack makes me cringe now that I look at it
2.) I'm now working on something bigger, with a group of people
3.) I can't seem to replicate the crash for some reason. Although I have noticed that it crashes for some reason in srb2win after the third checkpoint in Splash Hill Zone, not sure if the music/sound is affecting it or what.
4.) With 2.2 coming out, and if its anything like the thokker.exe, then this mappack will have more problems than what you must be experiencing now, problems which I have no intention of fixing anytime soon, if at all.

tl;dr
Nah I don't think I'll work on this anymore. Try playing the pack on srb2dd.exe though, that seems to work perfectly. This new bug is most likely a problem later developed due to updates that srb2 got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back