SOCcing Collectable Objects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D00D64

Probably Responsible
How do I made collectible SOCced objects in SRB2? I wanted my level to have various things for you to pick up and execute linedefs, but no matter what I do, I can't get an object to be in a state where it can execute the linedef! I can't just reskin the Mario axe because I'll need more than that. Anybody have any ideas or workarounds?

What is your problem? That you can't make a collectible item execute linedefs or that you can't make any items execute linedefs?

Lucky for you ! I have the awnser to the problem I used to have which is what you wanted to do. unluckly its not easy to do my gimmick so here we go! First open the soc editor and start a new soc. Next go to the emmys 1-7 that you want to make it activate something. Then save it and go to notepad and delete everything except the flags and tada! Now you can use that item to activate pushable objects! But if it is an object with out gravity do this other gimmick of mine! Create a rectangle sector in an unreachable spot ( notice all this only works with emmys k? )about 128x128 and create a thok barrier in side it at least 64x64. Next place which ever emmy you want in the sector and give it a tag (1 for now) and give it pushable objects next tag it make a control secto and give it what ever you want but dont forget to give it only pushables once ok ? Next give its effect and tag it to the sector and you know the rest when you enter the level with the emmy the door opens up! But if you want a button activated one i'll tell you later just tell me ok?

What is your problem? That you can't make a collectible item execute linedefs or that you can't make any items execute linedefs?

I can't make items that trigger linedefs. Or do anything else for that matter. An item that you can pick up does nothing upon being picked up. None of the other states (painstate, deathstate, raisestate) occur upon being picked up. I was thinking that perhaps using the Missile tag could work... if I could get it to not hurt anything.

EDIT: Okay, I got it to work by making the object non-solid, but have it do A_Look in a 16 unit radius. However, it has almost no vertical height whatsoever. What can I do?

Last edited:
Collectable items are a fickle thing; anything marked with MF_SPECIAL and nothing else that defines how it interacts with the player will just go to the ring sparkle states and play the ring collection sound when touched by a player, regardless of any other information in the object's infotable. So you really can't use the game's existing collectable functionality for what you're trying to do.

However, you could instead make the object a spring with no horizontal or vertical force, and set the painstate so that it does whatever you need it to do when touched and then disappears before it can be "sprung" again. Either that or you can remove MF_SPRING after it gets touched with A_SetObjectFlags.

...of course, this would mean that solid objects could also "collect" the object, but you can work around that with level design.

EDIT: Nevermind, it seems springs still affect the player even if it has all forces set to zero. x_x

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back