• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Mystic Realm Legacy (Portation topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Rebuttal

Short version:

Cool story. I like how it looks, so.

---------

Long version:

The first image is just brownbrownbrownbrownbeigebrown all over, aside from the waterfall.
Yes by all means let's make sure there's a fucking rainbow in every single screenshot that could ever possibly be taken.

The water is a bit too transparent, and I still don't get why the sand has those beige cliff textures used as sides.
Opinions, opinions! The texture set for JCZ is shamelessly lifted from Emerald Coast, the circuit map, not the Sonic Adventure level.

The second picture is just black all over, maybe because it's too dark? The only thing I like is the switch.
Is there even anything else in the picture besides the switch

May I refer you back to my first rebuttal. Every wall must have a distinct, colorful, beautiful texture!

The only complaint I have is that the canopy needs a better flat and to not be just one height. Add some raised/lowered parts, and maybe some vines or openings through which you can see the sky.
I honestly have to wonder if this is some sort of massive troll. You did notice that the screenshot is of a boss act, right? Please take a look at DSZ3 and tell me my stage is flatter.

But sure, go ahead and criticize to death a measly 3 screenshots. I mean, that's probably all you'll be able to see in-game, right?

Actually, I think Neo's totally fine. His reasoning looks good to me, though the sarcasm isn't done completely well. I wouldn't have picked those black rocks for Tempest Valley, but the black goes well with the purple of the slime. If he says those textures are what work best, I'll believe him.

Neo's point is that the pictures were simply there to show that he was giving Mystic Realm a makeover, not to show active spots of high texture variation. I do think that Spherallic's criticisms seem mostly asinine and are just missing the point. If we wanted to judge the aesthetics thoroughly, I think we'd have to play the wad ourselves, but I'd say the three screenshots are enough to go by the idea that Mystic Realm is probably going to look really good from this makeover.

Yeah, I probably shouldn't post things when I'm tired as all hell, especially not 'criticism' or this mindless banter I have been wasting your time with. Go ahead, do what you want with it, just ignore criticism, and go call me a troll, whatever you like etc.
But hey, I was not saying there was really anything else in the second screenshot, and I especially wasn't trying to say that those three screenshots are all I'm gonna see. And no, not every wall needs to have mOtHeRfUcKiNg RaInBoWs on it, but a little more texture variation with the same colors wouldn't hurt, right? I admit I worded that horribly, with my colorcolorcolorothercolorcolor.
And I really wasn't trying to say the third screenshot looked worse than DSZ3, I don't even know how you even got that idea. It looks way better than said stage, I was just saying that the ceiling might need to be less boring.
But again, if you consider me a troll, you don't have to listen to me. I was just giving opinions on how it could look better, posted in the form of a rant, because I was tired as all hell. No need to go 'my rebuttal' on my ass.

And I agree with BlueZero4 and BlueWarrior, in hindsight. I know I was just too asinine, and I admit it.

Yeah, I probably shouldn't post things when I'm tired as all hell, especially not 'criticism' or this mindless banter I have been wasting your time with. Go ahead, do what you want with it, just ignore criticism, and go call me a troll, whatever you like etc.
But hey, I was not saying there was really anything else in the second screenshot, and I especially wasn't trying to say that those three screenshots are all I'm gonna see. And no, not every wall needs to have mOtHeRfUcKiNg RaInBoWs on it, but a little more texture variation with the same colors wouldn't hurt, right? I admit I worded that horribly, with my colorcolorcolorothercolorcolor.
And I really wasn't trying to say the third screenshot looked worse than DSZ3, I don't even know how you even got that idea. It looks way better than said stage, I was just saying that the ceiling might need to be less boring.
But again, if you consider me a troll, you don't have to listen to me. I was just giving opinions on how it could look better, posted in the form of a rant, because I was tired as all hell. No need to go 'my rebuttal' on my ass.

And I agree with BlueZero4 and BlueWarrior, in hindsight. I know I was just too asinine, and I admit it.
Chill, bro. It's the internet.

I can take criticism. Hell, criticism has already lead me to change some stuff in some of the levels.

The texturing isn't that diverse, but it's still more than what was originally there. Generally I employ two major wall textures and two or three major sector flats for each stage. I'm not trying to create a work of art here, just trying to breathe some new life into these old stages. Besides, keeping things simple allows me to work at a much faster rate (even though I've already created WAY many more custom graphics that I imagined I would ever do).

When you get an actual release, feel free to nitpick it to death and offer whatever suggestions you may have. The trio of screenshots was pretty much just to let people know what I'm up to. :x

Okay, good to know this is settled.
I am still looking forward to this, because this does look better than most of the things I've seen in the past few months, to be honest.

Eh, just so you know, I didn't make "scr_mysticrealmv20_41.wad", although I started the project. I only went up to v3, and even then, the last time I released it was v2.

Eh, just so you know, I didn't make "scr_mysticrealmv20_41.wad", although I started the project. I only went up to v3, and even then, the last time I released it was v2.

But it still shows you have skill in doing this.

Why don't you two work together to make it a little more easier/faster to get it done? (Not just a simple merge)

And maybe find whoever is finishing it.

I'm pretty close to having the soc fully ported. So a merge could get things finished this year.

But it still shows you have skill in doing this.

Why don't you two work together to make it a little more easier/faster to get it done? (Not just a simple merge)

And maybe find whoever is finishing it.

Due to the built in bosses and that fact that my save will stay stuck on Skylight Palace Zone even though I completed the extra ending, this still needs tweaks before the release.

But hell yeah! Possibly the greatest SRB2 mod of all time with the long gameplay and brilliant levels!

Neo: that texture job you're giving the levels is badass. Keep it up!

Glabber: please finish the socs in the port soon or I'm gonna cry :c

That said, Prismatic Angel Zone Act 3 cannot be completed in that port, because the new Egg Mobile retreats beyond the "Block Enemies" linedefs every time. We need a SOC'd old Egg Mobile (I might try my hands on that).

Heh, couldn't you modify the linedef or something? (that is, considering the SOC'd egg mobile doesn't work as well as it should...)

Heh, couldn't you modify the linedef or something? (that is, considering the SOC'd egg mobile doesn't work as well as it should...)

The linedefs with "Block Enemies" were supposed to keep the SOC'd boss in, the new AI of the vanilla Egg Mobile carried over to the custom one and caused it to retreat behind the flag. That or there is something else might be the reason why the level is not completable.

That said, Prismatic Angel Zone Act 3 cannot be completed in that port, because the new Egg Mobile retreats beyond the "Block Enemies" linedefs every time.
Huh, I totally missed this the first time around.

That's odd, I'm using Block Enemies for TVZ3 and it's worked correctly so far.

Considering the fact that we already have a mod with the levels and one with the Socs being worked on, surely now is the perfect time to combine the two together?
It will save loads of time would it not?
What's been socced so far Galber?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back