Ping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest, I'm not even sure that the ping command works properly at all. Even when it's lagging incredibly badly, it will still tell me that everyone has 7 ping, even when I'm the host!

As far as I know, all pings have to be the same. anyone with a high ping will lag your server, anyone with a low ping would probably lag to death themselves.

Uh-huh. So tell me, do you even know what a ping is?

A ping, my friend, is a small packet that's sent to the server, to which the server replies back. Your machine then calculates, based on the difference between the time when the ping was sent and the reply was recieved, the time it takes to make a transaction of a packet between itself and the server.

Obviously, a higher ping means your machine takes longer to reach the server, and thus you lag more proemminently. A lower ping means the transaction is quicker, and the lag is minimal.

It would seem that every game that has lag that i have played people look at the so called ping command and start pointing fingers it can get seriously confusing because one guy will say that that guy is lagging while mine says that some one completely different is lagging. Some one really needs to ether get rid of the ping command or make it more precise so every one doesn't think some one is lagging at random per person. Just a thought. :|

I believe it is inaccurate even when you are the server. One game I hosted had one guys ping over 30 and wasn't much lag.

SRB2's netplay code is screwy alltogether. The only surefire way to tell if someone's lagging, is to kick them, then restart the map, and wait a few seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back