• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

fickle hearts and other parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
HomelyLinearCaribou.gif

Fuck everything right now. (I need to figure out why I'm getting memory errors too .-.)
This... this is the most beautiful thing I've ever saw: Colour changing MD2s! Keep up the good work. I be expecting more stuff from you Red!

can you allow players to set the blend color via a png file or something like that ? and what about having different .png files for color/super flash ?

A different thing that I'd like to see is alpha/spherical texture support, but that might not be possible with md2(I know this is a bit offtopic but your texture example made me think about it).

MD2s already support alpha channels in textures, and "spherical textures" makes no sense.

The blend colors will more than likely stay the hardcoded numbers they are, though I'm still tweaking the exact color values for optimal results and may use some special case tweaking on certain colors. Adding the ability to load different files for specific texture overrides may be a possibility, though I'd rather make the blending work as good as possible for all colors first.

edit:
r99bNTi.png

My personal army

Last edited:
So out of boredom a little while ago, I wrote a simple interpreter for Brainfuck using SRB2's Lua implementation. Earlier today I had a really silly idea: make a password hashing script in bf and implement it into Terminal so it would be harder to figure out how the hashing worked.

Good news is I figured out how to write the script in question, and I also popped out a more efficient interpreter that does something as close to JIT compilation as you can get in a Lua script, in order to make the whole thing run faster. Bad news is short strings lock up the game for a second or so to parse, and longer ones take exponentially more time, so this is not even remotely usable for an actual mod.

Regardless, I present the results of my experiments here. Both the simpler and more advanced interpreters are included, along with a few test bf scripts. (For those curious, the only difference I've noticed between this and a "proper" implementation is the wrap-around pointer referencing due to being too lazy to add bounds checking. There might be other things I'm missing too, though.)

*crickets chirping*

Eh, whatever, good to catalog some of my weirder exploits here.

ViciousEvilHuia.gif

A minimap! It's pretty rudimentary in its current form, and can get really laggy if used in large maps, but it's fairly useable, at least. I made it for a mod Pac's working on, so I don't wanna release it without her okay. Sorry. :C

You're right, the framerate is getting really choppy...
As a suggestion, I'd tell you making objects (like rings) as blue dots instead of red ones, else you can mistake a ring from an enemy on your minimap :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5ZjdY103Zs

Once I figure out some of the issues I'm having with ground movement not working at really low/really high timescales (and then make springs work the same, and account for other abilities messing with gravity, and then apply time scaling to all important objects, and animations...), I might throw this script into Releases or something. (Or I might save it for a project. :V)

Very cool! It's like the timescale feature in Unity 3D. If you add the slowing/speeding up of the music's tempo, I'll give you a cookie

You should lower friction and lengthen state durations for slow mode. Other than that, this is really cool.

I do attempt to adjust friction based on the timescale. There are still a few issues with it, though, mainly that something makes it hard for the player to start moving at timescales that deviate far from normal. Fixing that issue is my first priority. (I'm pretty sure at low timescales it's something with the movement code that I'll need to hack around, but at high ones... maybe I should disable the friction compensation for the first frame a player moves if going at a faster than normal timescale?)

Lengthening state durations and other similar things will come after everything else is done. I'm pretty sure I know how to do it, but I wanna make sure I don't break things in the process.

Last edited:
DishonestDentalDutchsmoushond.gif

You all know what these are. It's just physics/midtexture trickery, though, sorry. These are very early in development and I haven't been motivated to work on them lately, since I don't have any ideas for stuff to do with them.

Will you be working on the slopes again soon, I'm really interested in possible using these slopes on a Sonic R conversion wad project.

Probably not. It's not too rewarding of a thing to make by itself, and I don't have any level concepts in mind that would use it.

Those slopes would be cool for 2D segments in levels and with enough practice could work in 3D, but since you don't have any ideas really for how it could be used, I wouldn't cross my fingers to see the slopes get used in any way.

(A skatepark-themed level sounds cool though)

I'm also digging that minimap.

Not enough intrusive layout changes and memes, try harder

The A is white. This is clearly a clue we must interpret.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back