SRB2 Revive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone told me SRB2 can also get more people if sonic was still famous or popular, to be honest I think that's very true.

Those people are just posers. If you still like Sonic and tried SRB2, it doesn't matter how south the Sonic series goes, people are still going to love SRB2 the same way they loved it in the past.

If we have to wait for 2.2 to make things like how it used to be, we have a seriously long wait...

Just please, be patient with the devs, they are taking as much time as they can with the development of 2.2. Secondly, the netcode is and only will be getting fixed on it's own time. Regardless of whether 2.2 comes out or not. For now, try to show this game to your friends as it is and host a private server. It shouldn't just be the engine on it's own that keeps the hype train going, it should also be the coal that supports it. If you love SRB2, show it! Advertise it to your friends, if you want the community to revive just through the game's long-awaiting update, it's not going to work very easily. Enjoy what you have now, it's the reason you're still here.

Last edited:
Do you think its possible to have at least 20 people in a server in 2.1?

Its possible. The Max player count is 32 so i would assume so. BUT keeping the 20 players in the server? Thats another story

I don't think that's a wise idea. Due to the nature of SRB2's netcode, one player is able to lag an entire server, and that chance increases exponentially the more players you have in one server.

I would stick to smaller player limits -- let other players make their own servers if there's not enough room.

I know what will happen, but i still want to try it. Having a lot of players in a server like old times. Would make me happy and bring back much memories.

I'm sorry. I started work on rewriting the netcode from scratch and it looks promising, but it's gone stagnant for several months now and may never be finished.

This was JTE's ridiculous roadmap of things JTE wants to do to "make SRB2 great again":
  1. Netcode rewrite so that one player lagging doesn't lag the entire server and gameplay itself is framerate-independent. No more control lag. No more resynchronization pauses. This will probably break the majority of how Lua scripting works currently, since it represents a very major paradigm shift of how the game works on a core level.
  2. OpenGL rewrite to use OpenGL 2.0 or higher instead of the ancient fixed pipeline. Primarily so that we can use GLSL shaders to make OpenGL match what Software mode can do much much better, even if it isn't flawless. It should be capable of becoming the primary rendering mode. (I was actually relieved when Furyhunter began work on OpenGL, even though he didn't believe me when I said it'd need a complete rewrite to work out, but then nothing became of it. We gained nothing.)
  3. All of the game logic rewritten to support a higher (or even uncapped) framerate natively. After the netcode is framerate-independent and desynchronization-proof and a fast and efficient hardware renderer is suitable to be made the default, there would no longer be any reason to have Sonic thokking along at an absurd 60 pixels-per-frame at a weird and choppy low framerate like 35, when he could be moving buttery-smooth 35 pixels per frame at 60 frames per second, the same momentum but with twice as easy movement for your eyes to track and respond to.

Naturally, all this equates to essentially rewriting the entirety of what little is left of the original engine from the ground up, and also hacking around our 16+ years of "35 frames"-based logic, which permeates absolutely every aspect of the game, from the animations to the physics itself. It is absurd, cannot possibly happen all at once (expect one of those things every-other major version, in the best-case scenario), and may not happen at all (ridiculous bugs can crop up, massive amounts of things need to be rewritten, and there's few programmers talented enough to stomach the task)

It... It's not worth it. I am not in the sort of position in my life where I can dedicate my time to a project that's this large of a scale with only minimal returns.

Mind you, these aren't the only things that would happen in SRB2's future. Better mapping tools and more content are being added all the time, and Lua scripting is continually digging deeper into more parts of the core engine to make literally anything you could want to mod in become possible (even if it has to be a little hackish...)

Given that, I believe most shrinkage of SRB2's community can be attributed to:
  • Nothing "exciting and new" to report in a long time (You can only say "SRB2 released a new version and is still awesome" so many times before it gets boring. Even "SRB2 finally gets slopes!" is rather bittersweet when it's so many years late.)
  • Incompatibility with modern operating systems (Windows 10 required us to move the software rendering engine to be piped through SDL2 and turned into an inefficient hardware rendering engine by default, just because it can't handle ye olde DirectDraw at all anymore)
  • Or because Sonic the Hedgehog itself is falling in popularity, Sega long having moved on to simply licensing the character out to make an easy buck rather than actively striving to produce quality videogame content themselves.

Either way...

Last edited:
JTE said:
This will probably break the majority of how Lua scripting works currently, since it represents a very major paradigm shift of how the game works on a core level.
Fine by me, I mean, It's not the First time New SRB2 versions broke compatibility of older versions Mods .

It's like nobody can read subtext until it's stated bluntly.

On the plus side, it turns out the current code still works for LAN play after all these years. Maybe we could get a Crawlacon going just to play SUGOI maps upon release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back