8.9M earthquake and tsunami hits Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ironic how I went to the beach yesterday with my friends until 5:00 PM, anyways, thanks to Colombian imperialism, none of our coasts are gonna get hit.

Altrough I´ve been in alot of shootings I´ve never been in a single natural disaster, when the last Earthquake around here shook off the country like a year ago, I was traveling to Yucatan. At least these japanese people have some experience with Earthquakes.

I have an aunt and uncle who are missionaries in Taiwan, but from what I've heard, Taiwan really hasn't been effected by it. I hope that's true!

Things like this are pretty nasty... I wonder how many of those people thought they were gonna die today.

So... After the Earthquake and Tsunami, Japan now has a Nuclear Rector with the possibility of having a serious Meltdown. This is really depressing... I hope Japan doesn't like... seize to exist in 2 days. D': They still have about a day to fix it... but we'll see the outcome.

EDIT: .... And there goes the explosion. :U

Last edited:
This is bad. Nuclear Radiation floating in the air anyone? I hope this gets fixed (if that's possible).

I don't think the guys that planned to put a nuclear reactor in Japan gave a thought about earthquakes.

I don't think the guys that planned to put a nuclear reactor in Japan gave a thought about earthquakes.
On the contrary, it would have been a huge consideration. Japan has some of the best earthquake precautions in the world, and there has never been a country that didn't strive to make their nuclear plants as safe as possible (except for the Soviet Union). The problem here was that this earthquake was the largest in the history of Japan, so they had no way of anticipating the scope of the damage.

Even so, they should have thought have thought about it.
Uh, they did. Japan is prone to earthquakes, so extensive safety measures were taken when these reactors were build. All endangered reactors automatically shut down during the earthquake, it's just you can never quite prevent an accident like this one.

And yet people are still willing to take the risk.
You know, this is a risk you can't eliminate in any situation. Even without an earthquake, a nuclear reactor could always malfunction and melt down. We have to live with that risk everywhere. Just rest assured that it's a very small risk.

I might just be sitting here safe in east U.S. but when I heard about this I kinda panic. One reason was because my cousin went to japan on a trip with her mom. And after watching those youtube videos I just thought how many people were drowned after one minute of that. It just spread so quickly. Thankfully I got a facebook message from her telling me she was alright. I hope the death toll isn't as bad as I think it is.

Earthquake, Tsunami, Meltdown...
...VOLCANO

Can Japan get a break now? D:
Godzilla. (Or Gojira as it's known there) Where is your god now? (pun not intended, honest)

But in all srsbusnessness, I try to not worry too much about this kind of thing, as there's nothing I can do, and a lot others can do. (Honestly, I mostly spend my socially-concious time worrying about issues most people don't care/know about. :/)

Great, 3 devastating earthquakes with included tsunamis in 2 years, let´s see if we make it to 2013 alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back