One week after launch - has SRB2ME lived up to expectations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzo

So, it's officially been more than a week of SRB2ME. What's the consensus? Was the three year wait worth it? Did we overdo the hype and wreck your dreams? Share your thoughts with me.

Well, It didn't quite live up to my expectations, but that's probably because I COMPLETELY overhyped it for myself. The main thing that bugs me is LAG. The new levels are great and all, but they just don't feel like the older levels we know and love. But yeah, if the lag can be fixed, I think I'd be able to look past the other problems I have with it. :)

...It's better than the last one...

...But the loss of many GOOD wads and SRB2JTE is saddening...

...I'm kinda mixed. I love it, but I hate the loss of my favorite wads and mods. I know it was for the best, and it DID weed out a ton of recolor chars (for now), but I dunno...

I'd say it was pretty good. Deep Sea Zone was meh, and Castle Eggman Zone is obviously unfinished, but Arid Canyon Zone and especially Egg Rock Zone were fabulous. The new match mode took a bit to get used to, but it's addicting and less overpowered than the previous match mode.

Hell, I think I just got interested enough in SRB2 to start playing online regularly again....

Single-Player/Coop mode: Yes, yes it has.
Race: Not much different. Basically ME is a levelpack here.
Match: Any chance at ths game I had before is gone now, so... not really. =/
Tag: All that and a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos. :D
Hide and Seek: It's finally a real gametype! I really enjoy this one. :awesomefaic: It almost makes up for Match and...
CTF: I've been nerfed here even worse than in match. I can't even score on the first-timers! DX

PLEASE make options of the old format Match and CTF. T_T

<--- happy person here.

Just I can't stop playing ERZ. I'm starting to like DSZ; ACZ is great. I liked A LOT new enemies.

My major grip with this v2.0 is its unstable camera: my camera gets stuck and/or starts to shake badly. Also, the camera moves too abruptly every time that current in water slides changes its direction. There are minor issues... but, let them for later.

NO REGRET. Even.

glaber said:
Believe it or not, AJ PM'd me about the Minus sprites I used in SRB2 Christmas 1094 and SRB2 Christmas 2008. I can dig out the PM's If I need to provide proof.

Who cares?

Anyway, SRB2 2.0 is great. Wished there were more single-player levels instead of the SRB remake and hidden stuff, but beggars can't be choosers.

glaber said:
Believe it or not, AJ PM'd me about the Minus sprites I used in SRB2 Christmas 1094 and SRB2 Christmas 2008. I can dig out the PM's If I need to provide proof.

Do we care?

Glaber, that posts serves for nothing bug egoistic gain. It's not a base expectation, it's something you're plugging.

It's lived up to my expectations, defnitly.

I enjoy racing in the new levels as well, it's awesome. :) Match and CTF are godly, the SP levels are great too. Race is also fun now.

To get what I dislike out of the way, in GFZ and THZ, crawlas are littered all over the friggin' place, but in all of the new zones, they don't appear once. I embrace the fact that the new levels don't use them as a crutch for difficulty due to lack of enemies, but the transition from Techno Hill to Deep Sea is still very weird in this sense, and I think it'd be a good thing if the Single Player campaign had a little more consistency in enemy usage in that regard. The save system is fine, but as I've said before, continues need to play more of a role in the game now that there are no more difficulty settings. Camera appears to have some issues, mostly minor. Netplay is also still unstable, but I don't think I need to go on about that. Stuff's going to be a bitch to port, but that's just granted, and it may be a good thing in some aspects.

What I like about the new version outweighs the previous paragraph easily. The Single Player is fresh and enjoyable, and gives me plenty of emblems to hunt for whenever I feel like it. 2.0 has a ton of new thing types that I'm quite eager to take advantage of, and the new enemies are creative and pretty well thought out for the most part. There's a wide variety of vibrant textures that can easily be used to add a fresh new look to SRB2 mods along with the new scenery. As unstable as netplay is, it's clear that a lot has been done to enhance it both on the technical side and the general gameplay side; error logs, IPs listed along nodes, consistency failure correction, and for me, sock errors have become rare (if not nonexistent) on this laptop of mine, and that alone is an absolute blessing to me; and then the game modes themselves are much more polished, match and CTF incredibly so, thanks to the new system. One big thing that supported the game balance and made Knuckles and Tails quite a bit more enjoyable to play as was the pair's altered stats, as well as the occasional alternate path in circuit and SP mode. I use all three characters so much more now, and I can even outrace some Sonic players in circuit with other characters (though I haven't gotten first with them yet :P). Along with improved music, there's a bunch of remixes included and old tunes (some that I didn't even know about beforehand) brought back, meaning I have a lot more favorites to choose from.

All in all, two thumbs up. You guys obviously have some kinks to work out both online and on the single player campaign, but I'm still impressed with what you've done to the game. 2.0 has a lot of features that 1.09 needed badly, and the whole product helped to make an otherwise stale 3D platformer an enjoyable experience that I play daily once again. Keep up the good work.

EDIT: Also, tumbleweeds are just damn cool.

Did SRB2ME meet my expectations? No. It exceeded expectations. I never expected so much addition added to it.

The singleplayer campaign was below my expectations, but everything else is really great. The new multiplayer systems are really fun, and the new mapping capabilities opened by this new release are really awesome.

I absolutely loved this new version. As I said in the release topic, my favorite zones were ACZ and ERZ. I loved ERZ simply because of all its cool new sector and linedef effects, the polyobjects and the reverse gravity were amazing and really added to the level design. ACZ was also cool and I liked the rope belts, it made platforming interesting. The new additions to the enemy roster are also great and will help expand SP editing a lot more along with the new texture sets. I can easily forsee me wanting to make a SP level for a future contest ;)

Every zone except ERZ1 & 2 is trash... sorry. I mean seriously, stupid puzzles(specially that water level) with no clear path. A lot of trial and error things are in this game. Especially in the ERZ zones, I remember in ERZ1 you go outside into space at the end and have 5 seconds... There is no way you can do this on your first try and is stupid to have added. ERZ2 there is this part near the beggining where you go outside and you hit this flip to change gravity. If you don't move forward you die, BUT HOW DO YOU KNOW BEFORE YOU ARE DEAD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back