The return of Swine Flu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawfulfan

The Tortured Planet guy
Well, a strain of the influenza virus that killed roughly 50-100 million people in between 1918 and 1919 has struck again. As of this writing, over 150 people in Mexico have died of the virus, hundreds more in that country are sickened, over 50 people have the disease in the United States, and air travel is rapidly spreading the virus to countries all over the world. Kinda scary. What are your thoughts?

I saw this on the news 2 days ago. They said it hasn't hit IL yet and they are still finding a cure.

He said he saw it on the new 2 days ago, it hasn't hit Illinois and they are still looking for the cure.

I saw a blog post on WordPress that the blogger got some sort of shot to "prevent" the swine flu, but he said that he got sick for three months. I don't know if this is true, and I don't know if the virus has reached our country yet. I read that the swine flu comes from pigs.

Earuto said:
They said it hasn't hit Il yet and they are still finding a cure.

Well, I was researching on the swine flu and found an article about medicinces that can treat the influenza virus.

NiteAngel said:
I saw a blog post on WordPress that the blogger got some sort of shot to "prevent" the swine flu, but he said that he got sick for three months.

The idea of a shot is that it "infects" you with harmless versions of the microbe so that your defense system memorizes the antibodies needed to destroy the harmful disease. The shot was probably spiked with the real deal instead.

Blue Warrior said:
NiteAngel said:
I saw a blog post on WordPress that the blogger got some sort of shot to "prevent" the swine flu, but he said that he got sick for three months.

The idea of a shot is that it "infects" you with harmless versions of the microbe so that your defense system memorizes the antibodies needed to destroy the harmful disease. The shot was probably spiked with the real deal instead.

Yes, that's what I thought. But, if he did get a shot with the real deal, wouldn't the place where he got that be closed? Or maybe it's just a side effect? I don't know exactly what happened to him. What I'm also concerned about is the place where he got the shot (or shots) because they're not supposed to give the "real deal".

NiteAngel said:
I read that the swine flu comes from pigs.
Are you serious? :/ Do you even know what swine means? It means pig, silly.

Then again, it's not like chicken pox comes from chickens.

"I fell down the stairs and there was a crack and a jagged white thing is stcking out of my arm guys is this swine flu?"
"No, that sounds like syphilis..."
I lol'd at that one part.

I am not feeling that well... But that is because I have SUCKTACULAR ALLERGIES! Especially where I cannot face my head downwards or else my nose will start running like CRAZY!

I also heard from a kid in my science class saying that if swine flu is discovered in a few more american states, all of america will be put into a state of emergency... NO MORE SCHOOL :( (I need extra credit to pass... if the schools close down, I might fail and be held back... NOOO!)

[18:23:55] <Rob> I'm waiting for SARS and the Avian Flu to mutate into a dangerous strain and then for those two and the Swine Flu to merge and mutate into a supervirus.
[18:24:02] <Rob> That only kills about 2,000 people.
[18:24:08] <Rob> And watch the world panic.
[18:26:30] <Rob> And while the world panics, North Korea launches a nuclear missile, but everyone ignores it because of the swine flu.

Rob said:
[18:26:30] <Rob> And while the world panics, North Korea launches a nuclear missile, but everyone ignores it because of the swine flu.

Odd, that was on the front page of my local newspaper.

fawfulfan said:
Today, they've reported the first Swine Flu death in America.

That was a Mexican child who was taken to the US for hospital care. They say that the symptoms of the flu went away before he died, so it's possible that his death wasn't caused by the flu directly, but rather due to the resulting complications. Also, he was around 20 months old. Seems to me that if you're old enough and you maintain good health, you should be fine.

I heard on the news that scientists are renaming it.

?1?1

Also now my parents are canceling our trip to mexico!

Edit:stupid error

There have been 4 cases in my city in CA. I'm worried but I'm not going to panic about it.

Gee, am I going to have some stories to tell my grand children. An economic recession, a deadly sickness spreading around...what else could go wrong?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back