• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Dumbventure ...TOO!? El Papero Mareio - *In English! - Progress Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
FocusedFoolishDog.gif

And after so much frustration, I got this down to a science. By pushing Custom 1, you go through dialog. The Orange ! badge icon will most likely be replaced or at least moved during cutscenes. I also made it so that Sarah changes sprites at certain point, but her sprites still need quite a bit of work. I actually have more dialog than this, but I need to do some more stuff before I can show it. Finally, the level needs more details around this part. But hey, this cutscene is almost done! Hopfully, future cutscenes will be more smooth than this, though...

You've more than likely considered this, but is there no way to map it to jump instead?

I hate games that map an action like Jump to the same button you use for inspecting things in the environment or whatever else, so Custom 1 will remain the "check/confirm" key. It's used to start the game from the title screen map and read signs in the main map, so it'll be used for talking to people as well. It'll also be used for activating whatever else (switches, doors, etc), so its consistent with itself, if not the series as a whole.

2iC7CO9.png

The cutscene is 90% done, but I'm not ready to show it here.

Instead, speculate over this.

GreatArtisticDachshund.gif

The border was originally for a completely different purpose, but I decided to put that on hold for after the OLDC. So here's a friggin' menu. I can only hope this wasn't a terrible idea in the long run.

Last edited:
Please tell me you're going to fix the solid chunk of water that pushes you out of the pipe, since it looks unmeasurably retarded next to all those other amazing things.

You could at least replace that water bit in the pipe with a water fountain sprite, and have the player fly out in the pain animation (for comedic effect) or something.

Okay, in response, I tried touching it up a bit. At least you're not clipping through it. I refuse to resort to physically flinging the player out in any way, but I'm open to just eliminating the water entirely.

Anywhos, I decided to FINALLY work on Koopas, and after MUCH frustration... I got them working. I guess.

ClearcutAnyArthropods.gif

Red shell koopas charge at you like the Paper Mario games, while green ones (which I didn't make yet) will just normally chase you. Red Koopas could use a good nerfing though, they're pretty relentless right now...

But hey, shell kicking works!

MasculineFlamboyantCero.gif

I feel like the pipe would make sense if it rose up out of the ground first, and then the player came out after it hit max height, kind of like what Mario does for his intro in Smash 64. Also, after the OLDC, can all your Papero Mareio stuff be released as a separate expansion pack of sorts for those looking to make more levels for it?

TheseWaterloggedErne.gif

Now I got both Koopas fully functional, but I still got plenty of other enemies to make left.

But after all this time, SRB2 finally has Koopas. Mario Koopa Blast still does not.

Last edited:
I refuse to resort to physically flinging the player out in any way

What about making them jump straight up? Then lower the pipe before they land.
Or alternatively, let the player land on the pipe then lower it.
It'll functionally be the same thing, but appear much more polished, removing the water completely.

Make the inside of the pipe pitch black, have player spring directly up and land on the solid black. Bam, looks more Mario-esque, and polished.

Or just get rid of all the fancyness and just make it the regular "Mareio comes out of a pipe" like in the other parts of the level.

ImportantEvenChimneyswift.gif

Rather than do whatever it is you guys are suggesting or continue work on making enemies, I did this instead. Productive!

Yes... that sure happened.

SomeLawfulArchaeocete.gif

Anywhos, I was working on Hammer Bros, and they work perfect now. They don't seem that hard, but it's gonna be the way they're gonna be placed that'll drive ya nuts. Since jumping on them is an awful option and you gotta get in close to hammer them back, they add 3 to your combo instead of 1.

Yes... that sure happened.

SomeLawfulArchaeocete.gif

Anywhos, I was working on Hammer Bros, and they work perfect now. They don't seem that hard, but it's gonna be the way they're gonna be placed that'll drive ya nuts. Since jumping on them is an awful option and you gotta get in close to hammer them back, they add 3 to your combo instead of 1.
Were you gotting these great sprites because there's no hammer bro and green unfriendly koopa on sprites resourse....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back