SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Old 04-21-2008   #1
JigglyWiggly

Default Dedicated Server Help

Hello, I host a server called Jiggles Ware house. It's co-op (usually). I run the server on a pos 2.0 ghz p4, 512 ram and a 40 gig hd with windows server 2003. I hate listen servers they cause lag on both ends, I was wondering if there was a dedicated server setup so I could run it 24/7 and remote desktop the server instead of walking to it. -Thanks.
Also I lose my sonic directory often, would anyone provide me with a save file with everything completed? I need it because some people ask for maps or such that I do not have unlocked.

JigglyWiggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #2
Sniperific

We only need one dedicated server, if you want your server to be a dedicated one aka on all the time you will need to still monitor the server for rule breaking and such. The only game modes i can see your server been up for all the time without been there is matches and races but you will get noobs coming into your server and rule breaking and your server will be taken off the master server whilst they still join netgames. If i was you i'd just forget the entire idea of making a dedicated server as we dont need one.
Sniperific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #3
JigglyWiggly

But thats beside the point in some games you can use cmd to run a server and you can see everyone's chat log. It would be nice if there was something like that, and I'm in the west coast not every server is in the west coast so I want to make one publically available to everyone. I havn't experiened anyone rule breaking, what do you mean by rule breaking anyway? Like does the game allow modified scripts to be run easily?
Old 04-22-2008   #4
Vash

Rule breaking would be something like people hanging out, roleplaying, or doing things that don't follow the Master Server's rules.
For some reason, my connection just disconnected 27 freaking times on August 27th for no reason. (Oh, wow.. XD 27 pings on August 27th)
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #5
JigglyWiggly

I just play co-op it's great. Role playing is against the rules, that's pretty funny, does the host want no "gayness" running around? If so I like his style about talking I don't see exactly what's wrong with it but I didn't make the rules.
Old 04-22-2008   #6
Vash

Hanging out isn't just talking, it's talking on a server and not doing anything but talking on the server. (..Wait, what?)

Also, role playing is against the rules since SRB2 doesn't really fit the styles of role playing, or so I've heard, and it also wastes Logan's (The contoller of the MS) bandwidth. If you don't think those aren't against the rules, then I'd suggest that you go take a look at what the rules of the MS are, so that you will tell what each are with some more explaination, if I forgot something.
For some reason, my connection just disconnected 27 freaking times on August 27th for no reason. (Oh, wow.. XD 27 pings on August 27th)
Old 04-22-2008   #7
JigglyWiggly

No role playing, that's kick@ss, hilarious and I completely agree. With that chat, I mean it's pointless I don't see why it's against the rules. Could you link me to the rules please?
Old 04-22-2008   #8
Chrome the hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JigglyWiggly
No role playing, that's kick@ss, hilarious and I completely agree. With that chat, I mean it's pointless I don't see why it's against the rules. Could you link me to the rules please?
http://ssntails.sepwich.com/mb/viewtopic.php?t=5305
Old 04-23-2008   #9
JigglyWiggly

It still would be nice to have a dedicated server and monitor the chat windows via cmd prompt or something.
Old 04-23-2008   #10
Cue
ALAM STOP BREAKING THE S

Quote:
It still would be nice to have a dedicated server and monitor the chat windows via cmd prompt or something.
Uh, look at the log?
<@Mystic> That's a good idea, Cue.
Cue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008   #11
Sonic Shadow

-dedicated in command line.

Sonic Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008   #12
JigglyWiggly

So basically launch the game via cmd prompt with -dedicated at the end?
Old 04-24-2008   #13
Kopper
Does not use Sonic.

Yes. Precisely. Oh, and for the sake of it... http://www.srb2wiki.sepwich.com/wiki/Command_Line WIKIROLL! *shot*
Kopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008   #14
JigglyWiggly

Ok the server is up until I can find a way to name in dedicated it's called srb2 server.
Old 04-25-2008   #15
Vash

Quote:
Ok the server is up until I can find a way to name in dedicated it's called srb2 server.
"Servername JigglyWiggly's Server" (This is just an example. You can change the second and third word to whatever you want) in the command box, and yes, you must use the quotation marks, or else it won't work. Also, I don't mean on the launcher, I actually mean the black box.
Old 04-25-2008   #16
Kopper
Does not use Sonic.

You can't change a server name in game Vash. :/
Old 04-25-2008   #17
JigglyWiggly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash
Quote:
"Servername JigglyWiggly's Server" (This is just an example. You can change the second and third word to whatever you want) in the command box, and yes, you must use the quotation marks, or else it won't work. Also, I don't mean on the launcher, I actually mean the black box.
Alright I know what you mean, -servername "Jiggles WareHouse" I know how to use cmd ;)
Old 04-25-2008   #18
Vash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopper
You can't change a server name in game Vash. :/
Yes, you can, Kopper. Try changing it, and ask other people if it says what you changed the server name to. It won't show in listserv because it only shows what the server name was when it was registered to the Master Server.
Old 04-26-2008   #19
Kopper
Does not use Sonic.

Exactly. It changes for future hosts, but only after the server shuts down.