MD2 Models in SRB2?! When'd that happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's right, since Demo 4 (read the White Glove Diaries in the history, it tells you a lot).

Although I'm quite baffled, I don't know how to add my own... and I really want to.

Well, I do... just to see how it is. I'm already aware that the proper response to that question is roughly "terrible", but, well, even still, I kinda sorta want to see how so.

Shuffle said:
Segmint said:
and I really want to.
No you don't.

YES I DO I DON'T CARE HOW BAD IT IS.

Seriously. If I don't learn how to soon, I'm going to end up at the Doom Legacy forums and asking, "olo hou do u maek and ad md2z to da gam".

>_<

I think it involved putting the MD2 itself directly into a WAD, with the frame numbers of the MD2's animation corresponding to the related frames of animation... however, I'm pretty sure there's more to it than that.

GR_MD2 needs to be set to 1 in the player's console in order for the models to be seen.
I also think that it only works in OpenGL... Not sure, though.

Shadow Hog said:
I think it involved putting the MD2 itself directly into a WAD, with the frame numbers of the MD2's animation corresponding to the related frames of animation... however, I'm pretty sure there's more to it than that.

Actually, it's a bit more complicated than that. I'm not sure entirely how much more, but...Yeah, I was watching Shuffle fight SRB2 to get models to work. It does not look like fun. At all.

Well let's see. You gotta make the model, make it face the wrong way, make sure the skin dimensions are a power of 2, invert the colors (what the hell?), then UV map the textures to the model.
Once you get all THAT crap done, you need to make a file called md2.dat that holds some data corresponding to the model. Name, skin name, size, and offset, I think.

Shuffle said:
make sure the skin dimensions are a power of 2
All things considered, that sounds pretty standard. I'll admit, though, making it face the wrong way and inverting the colors is... odd.

Shadow Hog said:
Shuffle said:
All things considered, that sounds pretty standard. I'll admit, though, making it face the wrong way and inverting the colors is... odd.

Probably the way that Srb2's palette handles it.

Shadow Hog said:
Shuffle said:
Wait, no, it has to be perfectly square, that's the weird thing. If the texture isn't a square, they will appear white on certain video cards.
Also, Flame, the textures don't follow a palette.
Segmint: What DO you want to use the MD2s for?

Perfectly square is actually what I was thinking when you said what you said. Thus, what I said still stands. No doubt, there ARE textures that aren't perfectly square... but most are.

Shuffle said:
Shadow Hog said:
Shuffle said:
Wait, no, it has to be perfectly square, that's the weird thing. If the texture isn't a square, they will appear white on certain video cards.

Yeah, mine. :x That's actually how that issue became known. Shuffle's original texture was rectangular, which bugged out on my card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back