Call for Testing: SDL2 Windows Build (faster software!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think so.. but I don't think that invalidates it as a bug report. ^_^

Any progress on this/updated versions? The official build doesn't run full screen for me.

After using the SDL2 extensively for testing maps (srb2win enjoys crashing explorer.exe when ever I open it, and it takes a while to restart it...) I have discovered that custom music doesn't loop correctly. It loops further in the song than it should.

SDL_Mixer does not support LOOPPOINT properly, because it has no way to fetch sample rate info from the file. It assumes all tracks are 44.1kbps.

If you want proper loop points you should always be using LOOPMS.

犬夜叉;752968 said:
SDL_Mixer does not support LOOPPOINT properly, because it has no way to fetch sample rate info from the file. It assumes all tracks are 44.1kbps.

But still, it could read LOOPPOINT and assume that there are 44100 samples in a second and convert that to the appropriate LOOPMS value. Sure, non-44.1khz files will get screwed, but so what?

Or maybe this is already SDL's behavior?

That's what it does; that's what I meant by "It assumes all files are 44.1kbps".

犬夜叉;752968 said:

I could've swore it was 44100khz... Thanks for informing me LOOPMS is a thing, though.

Oh, hehe, silly me, wasn't paying attention. But yeah, according to WinAmp it IS in fact 44.1 khz, so I'm kind of-almost sure this is a glitch in this build...but, I guess with LOOPMS it's not that important.

Last edited:
Crashes on my x64 Win7.

CPU/CPU 0:AMD Sempron(tm) Processor LE-1300
DDR2 Memory/Dimm 0:Samsung M3 78T5663QZ3-CF7
GPU:Nvidia Geforce 6150SE nforce 430
Monitor Size:1366 x 768

The RPT file has the following error report...

Code:
Error occured on Thursday, July 3, 2014 at 16:13:48.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Emulators and apps\SRB2 v2.1.6\srb2sdl.exe caused an Access Violation at location 77bc332f in module C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll Reading from location 00000004.

Registers:
eax=093d87e8 ebx=093617e0 ecx=00000000 edx=00000000 esi=093d87e0 edi=00b60000
eip=77bc332f esp=0028f9dc ebp=0028fa04 iopl=0         nv up ei pl zr na po nc
cs=0023  ss=002b  ds=002b  es=002b  fs=0053  gs=002b             efl=00210246

Call stack:
77BC332F  C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll:77BC332F  RtlImageNtHeader
77BCB7F0  C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll:77BCB7F0  RtlFormatCurrentUserKeyPath
77BCB741  C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll:77BCB741  RtlFormatCurrentUserKeyPath
77BC3CFE  C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll:77BC3CFE  RtlImageNtHeader
764A9D45  C:\Windows\syswow64\msvcrt.dll:764A9D45  malloc
0041FA92  C:\Program Files (x86)\Emulators and apps\SRB2 v2.1.6\srb2sdl.exe:0041FA92
0041FB13  C:\Program Files (x86)\Emulators and apps\SRB2 v2.1.6\srb2sdl.exe:0041FB13
004D0C33  C:\Program Files (x86)\Emulators and apps\SRB2 v2.1.6\srb2sdl.exe:004D0C33

Strange,it runs when compatibility mode is switched to Windows XP SP3.

The music volume goes down for a while after doing a spindash.

1.Winowed at 640 x 400 works fine averaging 35/35 Fullscreen also fine but lags at 1024 x 768.
2.Movement is slow like everyone else's.
3.About the same as the normal one but a bit faster.
4.Wish I could.
5.Alt tabbing works in windowed mode,it works instantly in fullscreen,AWESOME!

Edit:I found a glitch with alt tabbing in fullscreen and record attack where the game stays paused and on trying to unpause it says pausing is not allowed and stays paused until ending it with the menu.

Last edited:
windows 7 professional 64 bits, phenom x4 960T 3.4ghz, 6gb ram, geforce GT440

1. works with no problem
2. slower, like everyone
3. worse with the same resolution in heavy levels, like seraphic skylands oldc (20fps, 25fps in srb2win) ,but more playable (noticed that the MSI on-screen data is now appearing in the game)
4. I don't a have 2nd joystick to test. but it's working with no problems
5. I love it

note: it gets rid of the horrible lag and glitches that happen when I enter my own dedicated server. but lua overflow crash still exist (when using terminal with a lot of lua)

I'll test this with my old laptop later (celeron 2.0ghz)

1-Works perfectly fine.
2-Slower I guess? Not that noticeable but I have high mouse sensitivity.
3-Performance is excellent sir.
4-I didn't use another joystick, but keep reading for what happened to my first one...
5-<33

About the joysticks: First off, it's absolutely beautiful that movement with the joystick is now analog and not digital, it's a COMPLETE game changer for me and feels excellent. However, now the issue is that it handles EVERYTHING but the left thumb stick wrong.

I'm using a 360 controller, so I guess you could say this has two joysticks on it, or really 3? 2.5? (I say this because when you think about it, the triggers are another axis.) On the one hand setting strafing to the Y axis instead of -Y axis works so it's not asinine, but everything else is just incorrect. The right thumbstick's X-Axis is read as the controller's Z-Axis, its Y-Axis as the Z-Rudder, and worst of all, the triggers are now read as two separate axis, the left and right triggers as the Y and Z rudders respectively. Also, when either of these are set to turning, the camera perpetually turns left and holding the trigger down has it turn right (the camera stops if you hold the trigger halfway).

Along with that, the buttons are oddly remapped, with what is read in srb2sdl as pressing down on the bumpers is read in srb2win as clicking down on the thumbsticks, obviously the most useful buttons in the world :P

But yeah this is what happens to the joysticks now. Everything else about srb2sdl so far is excellent, so if this issue can be addressed, then all will be right with the world.

EDIT: Also, it's worth noting that controller input no longer works with menus since it's not emulating a keyboard :/

EDIT 2: Lemme rephrase: JOYSTICK input specifically, as in axis controls, don't work for menus. Pressing up or left on the D pad acts as enter/select/the 360's "A" button.

THIS MAPPING THO.

Last edited:
Finally got to the SDL2 executable. Machine stats are the same as before.

Anyway, the framerate is significantly better—definitely up at 30ish FPS now. Fullscreen still splits across my two monitors, and 1280x1024 is unavailable. The audio, however...hear for yourself.

Last edited:
  1. Seemed fine
  2. Feels the same. One issue I have found that if the MWHEELUP or MWHEELDOWN is pressed, the actions binded for those keys are locked (e.g. you cannot jump anymore) until you restart the map. MOUSE4 and MOUSE5 make the game pause.
  3. The higher screen resolution, the more game lags. There is no improvement in rendering performance.
  4. I have four joysticks: two Xbox360 and two PS3 (MotionInJoy drivers). Same issues as other people have. They were recognized properly, analog controls work, but I cannot bind any action to buttons.
  5. Alt-tab works.
Short and simple.

Alright guys, it's been a hell of a long time since I updated this but I'm going to continue working on it when I get home from work today.

Here's a github gist with the remaining tasks for migration and some notes, which may be of interest to some of you.

The plan is to have this migration done by the end of August, since there isn't much left to do, but I want to make sure to test it extensively to ensure that nobody has any problems drop-replacing srb2win with srb2sdl2 when it comes time to release. There's also an extensive code cleanup I want to do on the sdl2 interface, but that can come after the planned release.

A new thread will be posted for the next round of testing, Rob. Which should begin today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back