2.2 Preview - With Slopes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boinciel is joking, as he's been working on the level design side of the thing.

GFZ is kind of an animal to handle! Everyone says they're unhappy with it and everybody wants to get their finger in the pie, but basically every remake of its textures and flats ends up looking like garbage by comparison for some reason. It is the GFZ curse. So, instead, minor tweaks to make things objectively better without making things look too different (and therefore fall victim to the GFZ curse) is the way to go.

*rises from the dead*

Huh, an update again. I already saw some of the slopes .gifs that were teased around here so it's not a big surprise, but I'll be damned if this isn't amazing progress. It's pretty good visually speaking aswell in my opinion, though I might not be the best judge on that. Welp, this and the new ZoneBuilder might even reawaken my interest in mapping, so we'll see. Certainly I am excited for what else is new in 2.2. I just hope that it won't be necessary to know lua or anything to actually do something decent in mapping because of raising standards. 2.1 already overwhelmed me a bit there :P

Finally new spring sprites. The levels look amazing, cant wait to play GF and CE. The Castle in the background looks nice!

Finally! We're starting to look like a Sonic game and not a Mario game with spindashing.

Jokes aside, good stuff! Looking forward to playing it when it comes out.

2.2 hype!

This looks gorgeous. I so happy to see some new content for some time. I dont really care how long this update takes, i can be paceint. I think the longer you work on somthing, the better it actually becomes. Fantansic work guys!

Looks great but a few suggestions:
GFZ's sky should go back to it's original shade of blue. Something like this quick edit:
kuQnTw3.png

And GFZROCK and the grass should just be changed to GFZROCK2 and GRASSY.
GFZROCK2.png
and
GRASSY.png
Infact why HAVEN'T they yet? I don't know when they were made but I know they were in the game since atleast 1.09.4.

GFZROCK2 was one of the textures from SA-SRB2, an old level pack for 1.08 or so with texture replacements. As for GRASSY ...I have no idea.

Also GFZROCK2 looks ugly anyway, yuck. Haven't you seen that weird lighting/shading on the darker tiles?

I think the only way to get people to stop arguing about the textures is to drop the theme entirely and just make it ACZ. In fact, we should just replace all the textures in the game with ACZ so nobody complains. Then we can add golf physics and put this game on the app store.

PtQIxUp.png

(No, we're not replacing the theme and there's no way to make it look better without compromising the zone's aesthetics so stop asking)

Last edited:
That sky works pretty well with ACZ theming, though. Maybe we can reuse those skybox flats later in the game.

Also, anyone who thinks GRASSY is good should probably not be allowed anywhere near a level editor.

Regarding ACZ, I'm just fine with those textures. It could use a little bit of extra decorations and alternate textures, and that might help. Regarding GFZ...
Looks great but a few suggestions:
GFZ's sky should go back to it's original shade of blue. Something like this quick edit:
kuQnTw3.png
I love that sky, it looks beautiful, and I'm just getting Sonic CD vibes off it like crazy. Just don't use GRASSY or GFZROCK2. Why not just use the textures from the old SRB2GFP.wad while we're at it? Romio's suggestion could be nice though. Or, we could use the wall texture from SRB2GFP 1.0, possibly?

Last edited:
I think the only way to get people to stop arguing about the textures is to drop the theme entirely and just make it ACZ. In fact, we should just replace all the textures in the game with ACZ so nobody complains. Then we can add golf physics and put this game on the app store.

I'm not hyped for 2.2 anymore. :<

Umm... it looks like SA-SRB2 from 1.09.4, but anyways... EEEEEEEEEEEEE SLOPE HYPE!

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

Oh, also. They are slopes... & Knuckles Cena! *Oh oh ohno~ Oh Oh Ohno~*

I keep picking good times to pop on and look up what's new. Every time I do, there's something new to see! I'm also glad to see those slopes showing up more, when used right they really do add to the feel of the game.

I like that little GFZ1 screenshot, it looks nice and wide open. Even though the current GFZ1 holds some nostalgia for me, I'm glad to see it getting a re-do. I do hope it lives up to or surpasses GFZ2, as that's still the point where (to me) the game really starts.

While there's not much to see yet in that CEZ1 screenshot, I do applaud the nice rustic/mystic/ruinlike appeal of the place and look forward to seeing what you do with it.

And that Arid Canyons zone pic...Man, ARZ is my favourite level in the game and I can't wai-...Wait a second...Those ropes are moving diagonally. :o That's super neat. My mind has just been blown by that tiny little detail, as it opens a lot of new gameplay and aesthetic possibilities. I really really like it!

Keep at it, guys and gals! :D It looks great so far, and given your track record, it'll probably be fantastic. (I AM hoping for that Deep Sea Zone remake to be part of the next version, though. That physics demo Gif from it looks really fun)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back