Dreamcast kicks back on the 360/PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autosaver

It's still thinking: Two of the games released on SEGA's last home console system, the Dreamcast, are making a triumphant return to Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network! Coming later this year, the debut digital release will be Sonic Adventure, followed by the wild-driving zaniness of Crazy Taxi.
If you lived & loved Dreamcast a decade ago, now is your chance to relive some of your favorites -- and if you never owned one, you can now dive right in and experience some of the most creative and compelling games to show up on the system.

Sonic Adventure will arrive in the Fall of 2010. This game marked Sonic's debut on a sixth generation console system, and features multiple playable characters in a 3D world, super-fast Sonic gameplay, and of course, the ever-popular Chao Gardens. Sonic Adventure's release on Xbox Live Arcade and the PlayStation Network will mark the 11th anniversary of the Dreamcast's release.
Crazy Taxi, meanwhile, provides the kind of wild arcade-powered fun that felt perfectly at home on the Dreamcast: the game's title is as apt as can be, as the player pilots a taxi cab around a fully-realized city modeled after San Francisco, complete with plenty of steep hills to send your taxi airborn as you cart terrified passengers to their destination (or wherever you feel like taking them).

But maybe a bigger story than these two games coming out is just the fact that Dreamcast is here again. While SEGA has brought back and highlighted some of the amazing games from its Master System and Genesis era, this is the first time in years that the Dreamcast era of SEGA history has been brought to the forefront.
“The Dreamcast is fondly remembered by a large community of dedicated fans as a console that was ahead of its time in terms of graphics, quality and online gaming” commented Haruki Satomi, VP of Digital Business at SEGA of America and SEGA Europe. “There are few things that are more requested from us than making Dreamcast classics available for download in today’s digital market place. We’re very excited to begin offering gamers our beloved Dreamcast titles again on the current console systems.”

Each game is based on the original Dreamcast incarnation, featuring all of the gameplay that older players fell in love with. The games incorporate all-new enhancements and features such as high resolution visuals and surround sound. There will also be online leader boards, allowing players to compare their skills with friends across the world! In addition to this, all-new Achievement and Trophy integration will be available for each game released.
Launched on September 9, 1999, the SEGA Dreamcast was ahead of its time -- critically acclaimed and still loved by fans, the system featured such innovations as being the first console to have online gaming, and even had the capability to run a web browser.

Both Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi will be playable at this year's E3 as well, so check them out there or stay tuned for more news -- and give a big 'welcome back' the Dreamcast!

Excited? Tell us about what games you want to see return in this thread, or head to the Official Speculation thread in the Digital forum:

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?t=330372

Sonic Adventure DX in HD? Woah!
Oh, for people who don't know. The DX features will be DLC AFTER purchasing the game(Someone needs money...)

I hope that some of those "enhancements" include bug fixing and making the level designs better andAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I find it rather irritating how Crazy Taxi is widescreen, but SA1 isn't.

Well, some people are concluding there will be a widescreen option and they are just showing off 4:3.

I hope that some of those "enhancements" include bug fixing and making the level designs better andAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
...Have fun dreaming

Wait.. SA? Why not use SA:DX's advanced graphics/models/textures instead?

Well, if they have brains, they'll fix the game and hopefully add multiplayer.

No, totally different.

I'm pretty sure that is for Metal Sonic...not textures/models.

Metal Sonic + Mission Mode + Game Gear games

I already have SADX for Gamecube, so I don't see the point. Crazy Taxi I might think about though.

Hell, SEGA can't stand one day without overpricing some piece of shit. Even the really shitty next gen themes on XBL aren't free and ALSO aren't worth the msp.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/20/sonic-adventure-on-psn-and-xbla-wont-venture-outside-of-4-3-asp/

Christ, can't SEGA not disappoint people with at least ONE game?

For Sonic Adventure, the limitation of the XBLA version is immediately apparent even to those who haven't played it before: it displays only in 4:3, with vertical bars (featuring a blue patterned background) on the sides of a widescreen display. A Sega rep told Joystiq that the code for Sonic Adventure couldn't be altered to support widescreen as easily as Crazy Taxi's.

That's not the part I'm pissed about.

In Crazy Taxi's case, it's the lack of licensed music and locations, meaning that destinations like Pizza Hut have been replaced by generic stores, and the Offspring and Bad Religion soundtrack has been swapped out for sorta/kinda soundalikes. Actually, given how many times we've heard the Crazy Taxi soundtrack in our lives (too many!), that might be a plus.

I'm sorry, but if I don't hear "YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH" when I start it up, it's not Crazy Taxi, and it's not worth my time or money.

Yes, I'm serious.

For Sonic Adventure, the limitation of the XBLA version is immediately apparent even to those who haven't played it before: it displays only in 4:3, with vertical bars (featuring a blue patterned background) on the sides of a widescreen display. A Sega rep told Joystiq that the code for Sonic Adventure couldn't be altered to support widescreen as easily as Crazy Taxi's.
Waaaaah, it's too hard; waaaaaaaah.

waaaaaahmbulence.png

nqrapz.png

Oh, well who put this here?

I'm not sure how emulators work though. How do people emulate games and make them work widescreen? Sega tried and can't port a game and add Widescreen to it. Though, we saw Crazi Taxi work.

Wtf is wrong with Sonic Adventure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back