Adaware and Spybot - Search and Destroy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jellybones

Lawful Neutral
My computer's trial firewall thing just ended, and I now have no protection. I keep hearing about Adaware and Spybot - Search and Destroy and I just wanted to know where I get these. Thanks.

If you're looking for good free protection, I would recommend AVG. If you have a certain specific problem you need to get rid of, then I would recommend going here: http://www.pchelpforum.com/
They usually tell you what to download and how to get rid of bad stuff. If you want those programs and nothing else, then I would recommend http://www.google.com/

If you can't find it on google then it probably doesn't exist.
Come to think of it, I should make that my new signature...

Jellybones69 said:
My computer's trial firewall thing just ended, and I now have no protection. I keep hearing about Adaware and Spybot - Search and Destroy and I just wanted to know where I get these. Thanks.

Both of those programs don't provide any firewall protection. A firewall won't really stop adware and spyware from getting into your PC. Windows XP and Vista have a firewall built in. Windows XP doesn't have the full capabilities that Vista's have however.

The best protection is not running as an administrator all the time. I've been doing this for months now in XP, and it's not nearly as difficult or inconvenient as everyone claims. Simply not being an administrator cuts off a massive amount of attack vectors. If your user account is limited, even if malware does get downloaded, it can't ingrain itself into your system nearly as well. It also can't do anything to vital system files, simply because you can't do anything to them either.

Even if you're running as a limited user, though, most if not all of your personal information is still out in the open. So, the second best protection is using secure software and keeping it updated. Keep your system locked down and malware won't even have a chance to download. As far as I'm concerned, once your security has been penetrated, the game is up and you may as well just start over. If you rely on malware removal software to keep your computer safe, you're doing it a great disservice.

Like Sonict said, a firewall isn't much protection against spyware or adware. Firewalls are meant strictly to prevent unwanted data from being sent or received. Simply running behind a NAT router (as is probably the case, unless you still live in the stone age and connect to the internet via dial-up) often eliminates the need for a firewall.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean firewall. I didn't know what it was called until I checked my computer's security check. It was my malware protection that expired, not my firewall. That's why I want adaware and Spybot search and destroy. (By the way, I am using Vista's built-in firewall.)
Can anyone link me to where I download them, though?

I spent months without any anti-virus at all, please note that I torrent all the time. As long as you surf safely you don't really need anything. I also bear in mind that no virus is immune to an Ubuntu dual boot.

Now I'm using AVG Free, just because OneCare doesn't work on Windows 7. Spybot is one of the best spyware scanners, but it won't do much for viruses, grab AVG Free for that.

For those who hate how AVG slows down startup and display of download folder items, you could also try Avira AntiVir Personal. A bit more nagging than AVG but it puts less stress on your system.

Seriously, if you are on Windows XP and try Microsoft's Bootvis, you'll notice that AVG is loading an asston of drivers at boot. Not so with Avira. Of course, AVG is also ahead of the curve when it comes to fixing false positives, so...

Yeah, I used to use AVG Free some time around 2003-2006 but then they upgraded to 8.0 and lagged me so bad. So I had to go without antivirus for a few months until a SysAdmin recommended Avira.

It lags my winamp, most probably because I'm sure winamp connects to the internet upon startup, but it's alot easier on the system than AVG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back