Sonic FreeRunner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it definitely sounds like a very prestigious project and I honestly hope that it turns out to be a enjoyable fangame. Of course, we'll have to wait and see for ourselves, and I generally don't trust word of mouth from any dev team until I've seen how it plays, but good luck anyways.

Christ, do you ever have anything positive to say?

Christ, do you ever have anything constructive to say?

Azukara said:
Now, most importantly, the point of this game is basically seperated into two pointers: (1) to finish the Genesis-based 3D Sonic Dami and Mark never got to completing, and (2) to create an all-new experience behind Sonic gameplay. Honestly, I always thought that the aspect that while Mario is able to have open worlds and sandbox levels while Sonic remains as "point A to point B" is ridiculous. So, the point of this game to have a freerunning (hence the name) experience. Sure, the world isn't exactly endless and you don't have everything in full access at the very start; but you still are in a world not constrained by time limit, and not constrained by a linear path. Worlds are more open, filled with side-missions, and are built like half skate parks, half Mario 64 stages.

I don't see how you can design a Sonic game to be a free-roaming, nonlinear game with Mario 64 elements.
What are you meant to collect? What are they for? What are the limitations?
I'm curious as to how the levels and map are going to be designed. Since this is Sonic, how can you design something like Mario 64 in this?

I guess this is a "wait and see" kind of thing, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

It's another mod for that terrible Blitz engine. What more to say is there? The Blitz engine just feels so weird and doesn't feel all that Sonic-like at all. Why it got so popular is beyond me.
There's no denying the the Blitz engine's physics are off, but at the same time we need to also consider that it appears worse than it is because nobody has actually made an elaborate full-length game with it. All that the Blitz engine has created to date are stand-alone single levels and demos. I think if someone actually bothered to take that thing to its absolute limits and build something as elaborate as SRB2 with it, it could have potential.

Also, surely it wouldn't be that hard to increase the acceleration factor of the player. That would help make the engine's physics a bit more bearable right from the start.

I don't see how you can design a Sonic game to be a free-roaming, nonlinear game with Mario 64 elements.
What are you meant to collect? What are they for? What are the limitations?
I'm curious as to how the levels and map are going to be designed. Since this is Sonic, how can you design something like Mario 64 in this?

I guess this is a "wait and see" kind of thing, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

First off, let's get some things straight.

In the third dimension, travel from Point A to Point B gets repetitive and boring extremely fast. In all honesty, the best 3D games of the past ten years have been the type that allow you to go anywhere and give you the freedom to choose missions at different times. Games like Prince of Persia, Infamous, and Spiderman 2. They have their plot to tie events in the story, but the character is given free reign to move around and get to a point under any circumstances.

An idea, that I pitched to Azu, was Warren Spector's Play Style. While, this was being too ambitious on my part, I wanted a Sonic game that let you not only run as Sonic, but BE SONIC and see the effects that you have on the world around you. Maybe a tree is between you and Robotnik. Here's just a few of the options I had in mind:

A. You simply ignore the tree, and you attempt to find the more elaborate way to Robotnik.

B. You run up the tree's side, you jump on to one of the few tree branches. Once you land, you use your spindash ability to boost your swing as you start catapulting yourself off into the path you choose. This will prove as an annoyance to the neighbors and family in the tree, but they'll never know it was you.

C. You don't freaking care. You just mow down that sucker and go meet up with Robotnik. Unfortunately, you just made a family of Rickys untrustworthy of your heroism.

This is just one of the many ideas I have to really develop this franchise into something TRULY great.

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

Well it definitely sounds like a very prestigious project and I honestly hope that it turns out to be a enjoyable fangame. Of course, we'll have to wait and see for ourselves, and I generally don't trust word of mouth from any dev team until I've seen how it plays, but good luck anyways.

Understandable seeing as SEGA has done so too many times in the past just top hype up their latest project.

But trust me when I say, We're working hard on this.

I dunno...I feel like a line has to be drawn somewhere, or Sonic will kind of lose his identity. I would like to see this game end up with more free-roaming capability than Super Mario 64...but not THAT much more. I think it should be more like the original Spyro trilogy. You know, make it so that you can do just about anything you want in the hub world, but make the levels a bit more restrictive. The structure of the levels should always be free-roaming, but there should always be a unifying goal, plus plenty of amusing sidequests along the way. I also think a leaf should be taken from Super Mario Sunshine's book, and the game should have a few linear mini-levels branching off of the regular levels.

I hope this'll be as good as/better than SRB2. It seems awesome. Although because of the level concept on the first post, I thought this was Sonic Chronicles 2. Ahaha.

I dunno...I feel like a line has to be drawn somewhere, or Sonic will kind of lose his identity. I would like to see this game end up with more free-roaming capability than Super Mario 64...but not THAT much more. I think it should be more like the original Spyro trilogy. You know, make it so that you can do just about anything you want in the hub world, but make the levels a bit more restrictive. The structure of the levels should always be free-roaming, but there should always be a unifying goal, plus plenty of amusing sidequests along the way. I also think a leaf should be taken from Super Mario Sunshine's book, and the game should have a few linear mini-levels branching off of the regular levels.
Of course you should know that when I said freeroaming I didn't mean there was no true objective. You basically explained how the game is to be, because there is a story pushing it forward, and it requires certain events to go to the next area. There's just no time limits and there's allowance to roam around on your whim. Plus, there's side missions in similar formats to Sonic Jam's Sonic World.

Think of it being basically being like connected adventure fields from SA1, except with more straightfoward and skate park qualities.

And Greg, I don't know so much about choosing behavior like Epic Mickey, but more like just having the freedom to do anything in the method of your choice. Basically, just like what you said Greg, except without consequences like people getting mad at you for your actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back