Linux port

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the source code is public, and there probably is one but if there is one how does it perform, also could anyone point me to it? I've run it in wine but there is a delay. Anyone got any idea?

I don't want to compile it myself >.<

http://cue.srb2.org/bin/

TRUNK is the one you want, but they're all in there. Last I checked it won't work in netgames because it's so heavily modified, but since I really can't be bothered to download the source for 1.09.4 to the SRB2.org server, you're stuck with it. I think ALAM or DOOM may be 1.09.4 compatible, but not sure.

ALAM might be the one that is netgame compatible, but not likely since the Linux port would have to be compiled in GCC instead of VC++. I think if you run the 1.09.4a in WINE it would be netgame compatible, but I wouldn't know.

Torgo said:
ALAM might be the one that is netgame compatible, but not likely since the Linux port would have to be compiled in GCC instead of VC++. I think if you run the 1.09.4a in WINE it would be netgame compatible, but I wouldn't know.

This is true.

Basically, unless it's a mod (most of them are GCC compiled) then don't bother with netgames.

I've met people who knew very little about Linux, but not even knowing it's an operating system? :X
Cue said:
http://cue.srb2.org/bin/

TRUNK is the one you want, but they're all in there. Last I checked it won't work in netgames because it's so heavily modified, but since I really can't be bothered to download the source for 1.09.4 to the SRB2.org server, you're stuck with it. I think ALAM or DOOM may be 1.09.4 compatible, but not sure.
I am going to shoot myself for not keeping an eye on this topic. Thanks for sharing that binary Cue, it works perfectly on Ubuntu 8.04. :) (It wouldn't start in PCLinuxOS, but meh, it's an odd Mandriva-based distro anyway.) Now I don't need to start a topic in Editing Help about compiling the source code under Ubuntu. Which would be near impossible with my lack of experience with Linux/Unix anyway, considering all of the modifications that had to be done in the compiled binary above.
EDIT:
I reinstalled Ubuntu on a Ext3 partition, and when I updated my copy of WINE(to the latest beta), I got Windows-Native speeds out of the Windows Binary of SRB2 and better! :D Dash's world isn't crashing either! Running SRB2 on WINE currently isn't too shabby. :) I guess this is how I'll be playing the next version of SRB2 on Ubuntu at it's release. :P

Cue said:
Shuffle said:
joeoflula said:
forgive me if i'm wrong, but isn't linux an illegal hacking program?
..*facepalm*
My thoughts exactly.
8. Is your son obsessed with "Lunix"?

BSD, Lunix, Debian and Mandrake are all versions of an illegal hacker operation system, invented by a Soviet computer hacker named Linyos Torovoltos, before the Russians lost the Cold War. It is based on a program called "xenix", which was written by Microsoft for the US government. These programs are used by hackers to break into other people's computer systems to steal credit card numbers. They may also be used to break into people's stereos to steal their music, using the "mp3" program. Torovoltos is a notorious hacker, responsible for writing many hacker programs, such as "telnet", which is used by hackers to connect to machines on the internet without using a telephone.

Your son may try to install "lunix" on your hard drive. If he is careful, you may not notice its presence, however, lunix is a capricious beast, and if handled incorrectly, your son may damage your computer, and even break it completely by deleting Windows, at which point you will have to have your computer repaired by a professional.

If you see the word "LILO" during your windows startup (just after you turn the machine on), your son has installed lunix. In order to get rid of it, you will have to send your computer back to the manufacturer, and have them fit a new hard drive. Lunix is extremely dangerous software, and cannot be removed without destroying part of your hard disk surface.
http://www.jayssite.com/stuff/childhacker/childhacker.html

Heh, I remember that article, though when I saw it last it was somewhere else. Biggest load of bull I ever saw. The fact that anyone actually believed it is pretty rather disturbing.

Of course, given that the page you looked at has no comments section like the original page did, it's slightly more understandable. Slightly.

Remember, kids: Always check for sources when reading information online, and elsewhere!

That web page makes me feel sad inside. The amount of stupid is well over 9000. :(

(HINTS:

1) It's spelt "Linux", not "Lunix".

2) It's an operating system, just like Windows and Macintosh.

3) Considering how much the page writer goes on about individual program additions, that must mean everyone who downloads SRB2 is a hacker! GASP!)

Also, in consideration of levels of hacking, You can easily hack Super Mario World, and you can easily hack Cave Story. I'm sure if you look hard enough, you can hack any game ROM in existence, with the help of a simple tool. QUICK! SOUND THE ALARM! SUPER DEMO WORLD IS BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL GAME! OUR BANK CARD NUMBERS ARE UNSAFE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back