What's with servers nowadays?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I once found this coop server, back in 2.0, and it was the most fun I ever had in coop.
They had this system, where people would split into pairs. Each pair got to choose their own color, and those two worked together to finish the level. Me and my partner found that we were cooperating with everyone else as well, fighting of Eggman's bots together.

*Sigh*, I miss that server.

Yeah, but nobody actually plays coop cooperatively. All I see is racing to the finish and changing characters whenever you please. I see no "Tails picking up Sonic to help" neither do I see Knuckles taking out enemies when Sonic and Tails are hurt.

People just stay apart. I haven't actually seen any server where a group stays together and finishes together. It's just get to the finish and leave everyone behind.

Wow,I always see cooperative coops O.o.

And match fills my screen to 2 pages everyday,INCLUDING CTF.
I see match once in a while,though people seem to use cheats alot ._.,Including in ctf to help their team only,

Christ, what a topic.

I love co-op. It's the only online gametype I actually care about, since the other modes just aren't something I can appreciate in a Sonic game, I don't have a mouse, and focused competition in games drives me mad.

With co-op, it's the single player campaign (which traditionally serves as the main draw and emphasis for Sonic games), open for others to join. Having people around can spice up what would otherwise just be yet another runthrough, since we can take separate paths, choose different characters, comment on whatever, and see how things work out in the end. Once I'm done, I can use F12 to watch someone else play and see how they handle the stage. I can steer them in the right direction, point out shortcuts and tokens, or simply chat while I'm waiting for everyone to finish.

The presence of multiple people is a simple change that goes a long way in enhancing and switching up the experience of main game, without deviating too far from it. Granted, some people can be irresponsible or poor hosts, by refusing to set all players for exit to all, going hogwild on unnecessary cheats, etc., but that's why I typically just make my own server. The game's fun to begin with, and hey, if some people happen to join, then that'll just make things more interesting.

Funny thing is, co-op servers are rare for me. Usually people are playing match or ctf, or they switch out of co-op shortly after I join.

The only thing I hate about playing Co-oP is the racing. If it was a race then I would put the damn race on.

I got bored of Co-Op because most of the acts require waiting a minute for someone to join.(DSZ, CEZ, RVZ and ERZ)
This happens in all the game modes, not just co-op.
Also, no one can join during ERZ, joiners get Sigsevd.
Co-op is fun for 2 reasons, chat and F12.

On other modes, it only requires 5 seconds for someone to join, but in Co-Op, in those zones, it takes almost a minute, as if it's lagging when someone joins. Oh and...
Co-op is fun for 2 reasons, chat and F12.
Match is more fun than Co-Op for 4 reasons: chat, fight, item respawn and multi-use emeralds.
CTF is more fun than Co-Op for 6 reasons: chat, fight an opposite team, item respawn, multi-use emeralds, carrying a flag and team-F12.

IMO, When you know how to fight in Match and CTF, Co-Op is just as boring as Race.

Last edited:
No offense if so, but most SRB2 players play Co-op because they know there are pros who will come and own them OR they can't fight. Agh, I had to get that out of my system...

It's just me, but I think they can't fight BECAUSE they don't want to give a try on it.
Ya see, at first, my server was ALL about Co-Op, then I started to go into other gametypes and now I don't play Co-Op at all.

I once found this coop server, back in 2.0, and it was the most fun I ever had in coop.
They had this system, where people would split into pairs. Each pair got to choose their own color, and those two worked together to finish the level. Me and my partner found that we were cooperating with everyone else as well, fighting of Eggman's bots together.

*Sigh*, I miss that server.

See? That's a reason they call it Co-op, but most people are too friggin DUMB to realize it! Jesus Christ, too many people online on Co-op with wads and/or cheats! What may come to our online game we call SRB2?!

See? That's a reason they call it Co-op, but most people are too friggin DUMB to realize it! Jesus Christ, too many people online on Co-op with wads and/or cheats!
This is probably the main reason why I got bored of it. All WE did as COOPERATIVE was to collect the emerald tokens and get all the rings in the special stages. Yet, I see people who would like to SKIP that cooperative part by cheating and putting setrings 9999 on. As for anything else, it was running to the end, never helping, even when playersforexit is on "all". Heck, the only thing it did was to annoy the ones who were waiting for those who were in their way to the end.

Last edited:
I so need to get around to portforwarding to host servers (with a Mac and a PC sharing the same internet connection it's been hard setting it up). Also, a coop server is not synonymous to a crappy server. I enjoy coop and don't feel any more of a n00b then I was before for saying that.

I got bored of Co-Op because most of the acts require waiting a minute for someone to join.(DSZ, CEZ, RVZ and ERZ)

A whole minute? Maybe if you have a poor/strained connection. Most of the time, it only takes about 5-10 seconds for people to join on DSZ and CEZ. I have no problems with RVZ (and as it's been mentioned, joining in ERZ is impossible).

No offense if so, but most SRB2 players play Co-op because they know there are pros who will come and own them OR they can't fight. Agh, I had to get that out of my system...

What are you, 8? Take your blind, assinine assumptions elsewhere. Also, as a general rule of thumb, simply putting "no offense" before an offensive statement does not actually negate it. Sorry.

See? That's a reason they call it Co-op, but most people are too friggin DUMB to realize it!

The stages are designed for single player. There's nothing wrong with going about it how you please and comparing your progress with others. Besides, "working together" actually takes more time than tackling obstacles on your own.

Just accept it. When you know how to fight in Match and CTF, Co-Op is just as boring as Race.

Are you seriously arguing against someone's personal definition of fun? Get off your goddamn high horse. Some people just dislike the concept of those gametypes- they're definitely not something I would ever actually want in a Sonic game. Besides, I can definitely agree with the other poster's sentiments regarding co-op. Using F12 to see how people are doing in addition to commenting, especially after you beat the stage, can definitely be enjoyable.

The amount of condescending bullheadedness in this thread is sickening. Why can't some of you just accept that people may prefer playing with co-op? It's like you're on some personal crusade to prove that your way is the right one while condemning the other, and considering how different these ways are, the effort is misplaced and downright foolish.

Last edited:
I didn't said EVERYONE must play Match or CTF, I just said that, IMO, Match and CTF are better than Co-Op, but of course, that is MY opinion. Not yours, not someone else's, mine.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll edit what you quoted from so that it says well that it's my opinion. I apologise, and goodbye.

I really don't understand what's so offensive about stating your opinion on something like this. Isn't everything in this topic the opinion of the person who said it? Sure, some people are rather blunt about it but the reality is that people clearly have strong opinions on gametypes and you shouldn't take it as an attack on you if someone says Coop sucks and you like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back