Kill to continue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being a Linedef Executor action, it all depends on how your door is set up. I think following the Button Creation tutorial on the wiki, but ignoring everything pertaining to the button should control the door.

Last edited:
I'd also like to state that this type of room is quite reviled and I suggest against doing this in your stage. Just because the feature is there doesn't mean you should use it.

I'd also like to state that this type of room is quite reviled and I suggest against doing this in your stage. Just because the feature is there doesn't mean you should use it.
Good thing it's not used in Castle Eggman 1, Castle Eggman 2 or Egg Rock 2.

In all 3 of those cases they're part of traps that can be avoided.

In all fairness though, ERZ2 is something of a beginner's trap - the Castle Eggman example, at the very least, featured brighter-coloured raised ground as buttons fro triggering the trap. ERZ2, on the other hand, traps you when you touch the ground in a specific sector and there's no way of telling in advance that it does so - I didn't even know it was skippable until I saw a bunch of people jump over it in a netgame.

But yeah, more to the topic at hand. It depends more on how you execute the gimmick - it just so happens that there's more bad ways of doing it than there are good ways, so you statistically have a greater chance of screwing up if you don't know what you're doing.

The best ways to use it are not as rooms with enemies. You can look at Red Desert Zone and its Jetty-Syn guards. Or you can look at the level from which Red Desert Zone gets the gimmick: Nuclear Sunset Zone Act 1.

Optional bad level elements are still bad level elements. I don't think anybody finds the traps in SRB2's levels particularly memorable.

In all 3 of those cases they're part of traps that can be avoided.

Which, along with ALL but ONE example in the ENTIRE GAME, is 100% skipable.

We DO use it in a few places, but they're all triggered traps, not required.

Not to be a Negative Nelly, but you don't even know how Sa-x was intending to implement the gimmick into his level. You just assumed it was in a bad manner, which proves the gimmick is bad by nature.

And both the CEZ1 and ERZ2 iterations have no giveaway whatsoever, punishing players simply for landing on the floor. The ERZ2 one only gets away with it because everything else in the stage follows the same adage.

Not to be a Negative Nelly, but you don't even know how Sa-x was intending to implement the gimmick into his level.

I agree with this. A clever map maker can hide a great secret by you killing all the egg-bots in a certain area, then have the door look nothing like a door till it opens(hint, hint, to map makers ;P).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back