Sonic Colors!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, there goes any credibility you had!

Oh whine whine, bitch bitch. Perhaps when someone makes a 3D Sonic game that doesn't put me into on-rails sections or in-level "cutscenes" half the damn time (or more: looking at you, Starlight Carnival Act 1), I'll pay more attention to it.

... oh wait, someone did. It's called Sonic Robo Blast 2. >.>

So being "on rails" for only 3D parts (which is only 20%~30% of the game) makes Sonic Colors an overall less enjoyable experience than a 2D Sonic game with stiff controls and boring level design?
What about the innovations and additions in Sonic Colors?

stiff controls and boring level design?

Stiff controls, maybe. Boring level design, what the hell?

I find the "innovations and additions" make it feel more like a Mario game than a Sonic game, which irks me way too much.

Also, that's a third of the damn game, according to your own calculations. That's not a trivial amount.

犬夜叉;694631 said:
Oh whine whine, bitch bitch. Perhaps when someone makes a 3D Sonic game that doesn't put me into on-rails sections or in-level "cutscenes" half the damn time (or more: looking at you, Starlight Carnival Act 1), I'll pay more attention to it.

And it's taken them a decade to make it, is still not done, and is built off of an outdated, limiting, and inefficient Doom engine. Not a great comparison.

That aside, Sonic Colors is definitely better than Sonic 4 in my eyes. The scenario is more original, the music is unquestionably better, the platforming is more engaging, and the powerups really breathe a lot of life into the game. Also, it has more content and clearly had more effort put into it. Maybe Sonic 4 will have more weight to it when it's actually, you know, finished.

Regarding the spoilers:

Though it was great to see the in-level Super Sonic feature return in Sonic 4, its inclusion in Colors is more notable for marking the first time he was actually implemented in a 3D game. That's pretty exciting to see happen, especially seeing as how it's been left on the cutting room floor in the past

犬夜叉;694619 said:
And it was a wholly better game than this was.
this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this I love you man

犬夜叉;694631 said:

Shame that SRB2's even shorter than this is, and we're more likely to see more Colors content than that of SRB2 anytime soon!

Guys, its his opinion. Now you may not agree with it, too bad.

4 more red rings till Supersonic! Can't wait. :3 (boost fest yes)
GOT ALL THE RINGS..gotta play the last stage.
SUPA SAWNIK

Anyways, I wish there were more 3D Gameland stages. Those were my favorite.
..Why can't Sonic use Wisp powers when he isn't in Super Sonic. That would make stages a lot more easier if you ran out of rings.

Last edited:
But he stated it as if it was a fact.

Shockingly, "Sonic 4 had Super Sonic before Sonic Colors did" is pretty indisputable.

"Sonic 4 is better than Sonic Colors" is clearly opinionated. Note that nowhere did I say the words "I'm right, you're wrong, this game sucks, that's a fact."

Unfortunately, numerous people in this very community (and really, on the internet in general, sadly) seem to be unable to grasp the concept of an opinion. The SFRemix topic is another nice example of things like this occurring.

Super Sonic WASN'T optional though if you wanted to get the Chaos Emeralds(or Super Emeralds) and see the good ending...

It was optional in the sense that it was achieved by pursuing a side objective that was removed from the progression of the game. The games were still clearable from beginning to end without them- the resulting endgame sequences were just extras that (in the case of S3&K and all other following games barring Adventure and Heroes) were completely separate from the main game in terms of gameplay.

Hell, Sonic 2 didn't have anything different at the end with the gems obtained aside from a pose.

Four point scale, and a prime example of how hard Destructoid averts that. That's what the reviews show.

I can guarantee you if the four point scale didn't exist (IE: reviewers were neither bribed, nor - in essence - blackmailed into getting a score at least above 7, due to this ridiculous penchant for 5 being bad, not average), this game's scores would be a hell of a lot lower.

...actually, that goes for a lot of games.

犬夜叉;694659 said:
Four point scale, and a prime example of how hard Destructoid averts that. That's what the reviews show.

I can guarantee you if the four point scale didn't exist (IE: reviewers were neither bribed, nor - in essence - blackmailed into getting a score at least above 7, due to this ridiculous penchant for 5 being bad, not average), this game's scores would be a hell of a lot lower.

If everyone used the scale, then lower scores would mean the same as contemporarily high ones. So that actually means little.

Guys, its his opinion. Now you may not agree with it, too bad.

4 more red rings till Supersonic! Can't wait. :3 (boost fest yes)
GOT ALL THE RINGS..gotta play the last stage.
SUPA SAWNIK

Anyways, I wish there were more 3D Gameland stages. Those were my favorite.
..Why can't Sonic use Wisp powers when he isn't in Super Sonic. That would make stages a lot more easier if you ran out of rings.
Those red rings are what I'm having the most trouble with in this game I can hardly find the dang things I would really like it if I could find a guide that tells you where their all at (and I don't mean a video guide I mean one that's typed out) and to answer your question about super sonic not being able to use wisps I think the reason for that is that the super sonic transformation is programed as a wisp power itself (which is why you transform into super sonic the same way you activate wisp powers) and since you can't use more than one wisp power at a time you can't use any wisps while playing as super sonic.

So I managed to play the Wii version round my friend's house this weekend. This is what I have to say about it.

The looks: The graphics are actually very nice, especially for a Wii title. It just shows you just how capable it can handle good graphics like this. The cutscenes are cheesy, but some are actually pretty funny.

The gameplay: it's very addictive. The level design is alright, whilst some of the design looks good, some bits of level design were a bit cheap in some places where there are cheap death pits which require the reaction time of a god to get past them and there is actually platforming as well as speed which is a nice addition as Sonic Unleashed was speeeeeeeed most of the time. The wisps were quite cool. My favorite one has to be the Pink Wisp and the hover being the least favorite, not lasting long and it is slow....but at least Sonic can fly for a bit. The Sonic Simulator is fun. I like how some of the designs are based off the classic Sonic games. The Scrap Brain Act 1 design was my favorite, though 2 player can be more tug of war like than trying to complete it and not catching up (even not falling into a death pit) results in instant death which is cheap as hell and lost several lives because of it.

The controls: One of the few things that I found a bit disappointing slightly and knocking my rating from a 9.5/10. Controlling Sonic can be very stiff at times and the drift is absolutely terrible, how the hell are you meant to drift round a curved bit of path. I could do it fine in Sonic Unleashed. The physics are also stiff. An example would be jumping. It feels like trying to throw heavy weights into the air and catching them again. I want to be able to jump into the air without squeezing the A button on the Gamecube controller so they took more time to get used to than Sonic 4's physics.

Music: Most of the music was actually quite good. Though I never really caught most of Sweet Mountain's tracks, except the 2nd act. Tropical Resort & Planet Wisp Act 1 themes are my favorite in the game, though some tracks are so short that they loop several times per minute. The Green Wisp theme is an example of this.

Overall: Definetely the best 3D Sonic game in about 10 years or so. It's about time we had a good game and SEGA's definetely going in the right direction. Personally, I enjoyed Sonic 4 more, but I definetely had fun playing this once I got past the issues. I'm hoping to get my copy for christmas.

Rating: 7/10

Last edited:
The controls: One of the few things that I found a bit disappointing slightly and knocking my rating from a 9.5/10. Controlling Sonic can be very stiff at times and the drift is absolutely terrible, how the hell are you meant to drift round a curved bit of path. I could do it fine in Sonic Unleashed. The physics are also stiff. An example would be jumping. It feels like trying to throw heavy weights into the air and catching them again. I want to be able to jump into the air without squeezing the A button on the Gamecube controller so they took more time to get used to than Sonic 4's physics.
...Drifting is so easy.
Unleashed 360 was far worse, but the Wii version was pretty good. Though, it was pretty slow.

All you do is get enough speed, hold B and then hold left/right(Depending on what direction you are going)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back