Help a friend with a difficult decision, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

As some of you know, I'm going in for surgery next Friday. This time around, I'm getting an option as to what type of anestesia I can get. Last year, I had General, and really didn't like it too much, but I'm not too sure I want to go with a local anesthetic, either.

The first is General Anestesia. Here's a little information on that:
  • It has me asleep the entire operation. I wake up a couple hours afterward.
  • It's like the time I spent under it never happened.
  • I am VERY out of touch with the world for an entire 24 hours afterward. This is very uncomfortable, as, while I *can* think, I can't really...Focus might be the right word.
  • I know for a fact that I won't be physically able to eat for at least 24 hours after waking.
  • Rare risk of nausea afterwards.
The second is a local anesthetic. Here's a bit of information there.
  • I will be unable to feel my lower-stomach and down for up to 6 hours.
  • I will be somewhere between consciousness and unconsciousness.
  • I will be able to hear the sounds of the surgical equipment, which some people can't take.
  • I will see some of my blood a bit on some surgical instruments. While I can normally take that, I might not be able to in that state.
  • I will be fully conscious after about 6 hours.
  • Surgery was an hour and a half last year. May be about 10-20 minutes longer this year.
  • I will NOT be able to actually observe the whole procedure.
  • A rare side effect includes headaches and backaches

I would like some opinions on this. I have up until they actually inject the anesthetic, which is currently set as General. But I can change at any point beforehand. Any opinions, especially from firsthand experience, would greatly be appreciated.

I wouldn't know much about this subject, but can I ask what will this surgery be for? Depending on the situation there could be alternatives to surgery, that you might want to consider.

No, there's absolutely no way around surgery in this instance. It's for a condition called Tarsal Coalition I've had since birth. There are excersizes that fix this, but it's extremely rare that it works, and then, it will only work on someone that's pre-pubescent, which doesn't apply here.

I feel sorry for you :(
DarkWarrior, I really can't decide which is better between General or Local, because luckily I've never had a firsthand experience.
Maybe you can try waiting the day before the surgery, and select what anestethic you feel is the right in that moment.

I wish you good luck :)

General. It's pretty weird when it's applied, and sure, you might be sick for a day afterwards, but it's nice not having to watch them cut you up.

I would go with General too

normally if i was getting a surgery like this... i wouldnt want to see my own Blood... Even though you'll probably be sick for the next day... its better having a nice dream during the operation rather than hearing surgical instruments during the whole operation

and if you were to have the other operation, i think you would actually feel something even if you couldnt really feel anything from your stomach down (with the other operation

im very sorry Dark... i think it would be better this way...

General. Absolutely. I've had both in various operations (human bodies suck at staying in good condition) and, honestly, I couldn't stand otherwise. Not that I mind gore or anatomy or whatever, but having to watch doctors cut you open isn't exactly the most calming thing to watch I've had to watch in my life.

Also, no feeling from stomach down. Booo.

I would go for General. When I got my wisdom teeth pulled, they put me to sleep. I wouldn't want to be awake while they are ripping stuff out of my head. :X

I think you should go with general. I know nothing on this subject, but general sounds better.

SSNTails said:
General. It's pretty weird when it's applied, and sure, you might be sick for a day afterwards, but it's nice not having to watch them cut you up.

It's not so much watching them cut you up (There will be a screen between me and the doctor anyways), as it is being that way and unable to really think throughout the entire time that's giving me real concerns.

Torgo said:
Maybe you can look at prolotherapy. It has almost completely cured my father's back pain (which was very severe). Click here for some info.

What prolotherapy does is grow new tissue and increase blood supply to muscles (more info on the site and other sources). This can help some bone problems as well. You can probably ask your doctor about it.

It is very important to look for sources before trying this out, and your insurance might not cover it, so I strongly suggest looking for sources and any other important info if you actually are considering this.

No, you don't really understand. This isn't joint issues. It's something that's physically incorrect with my feet. Which is why they're doing this. Simply because there is no other way to have this problem fixed.

Thanks a lot for the responses. I'm still digging a bit more into the details. But it does look like I may stick with general, at least for now.

Dark Warrior said:
SSNTails said:

It's not so much watching them cut you up (There will be a screen between me and the doctor anyways), as it is being that way and unable to really think throughout the entire time that's giving me real concerns.

So? Just relax for a day. It won't kill you.

I've had both, and it really depends on exactly what they're doing. I had a general when I was having teeth pulled and some fillings, but I had local when they were testing what turned out to be a lymph node on my side.

Just have a look at what exactly they're going to be doing. If you want to watch, go with local. Otherwise stick with general.

I would do general. Because I enjoy a decent rest and don't like to hear the sound of medical tools.

Whichever one you choose, I wish you the best of luck, and I hope that you come out of this fine, whatever your reason for having this surgery is.

It's not so much hearing medical tools as much as it is that some people just tend to panic under local, and that's what really makes me think. otherwise, I'd just plain out go with that. I'm just trying to weigh opinions from people.

If it was me, I'd go with general.
But if I had to go local, I'd ask for an effective set of earplugs and a blindfold. Or something else with the same effect.

To be honest DW i think you should go with the general. I also wish you the best of luck as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back