For FireFox users

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can get Version 1.5 here.

Also, Speed it up by following my directions: (For broadband users)

1.Type "about:config" into the address bar and hit return. Scroll down and look for the following entries:

network.http.pipelining network.http.proxy.pipelining network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.

2. Alter the entries as follows by clicking (or double-clicking) on the entries:

Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true"

Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true"

Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to some number like 30 or 50. This means it will make 30 or 50 requests at once.

3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to "0". This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it recieves.

This will speed it up even faster than FasterFox.

Your Welcome... I love messing with settings... It shouldn't do anything bad.

Although, It may crash if you open a lot of tabs (and I mean like 30 or 40) at the same time. This is very unlikely to happen, though.

Now surf the Internet at the speed of light!

I have a thing called Firetune, that does it automaticly.

Actually, there's one thing that I've been having problems with since upgrading to 1.5: QuickTime. Namely, if I have it installed, it hijacks my MP3 playback whether I tell it to or not. I can tell it NOT to hijack it, and I can tell Firefox to open it in WMP instead as I want it to, but it doesn't matter; QuickTime loads it up anyway. On the other hand, if I DON'T have it installed, YTMND doesn't work at all, without having to have a IE window open as well.

I didn't have this problem with the last version... and it doesn't help that you can't ADD file types in the window that deals with them, so if I delete MP3 on that list, QuickTime holds an ultimate monopoly on all MP3s loaded with Firefox. Which sucks. Oh well, I never liked QuickTime much anyway.

I'm not very fond of Quicktime's browser hijacking myself, but I can't uninstall it due to my mom's new iPod requiring the use of iTunes, and iTunes doesn't seem to work without Quicktime.

I never cared much for iPods.

Apple needs to be slapped in the face for even creating Quicktime Player. But I'm glad that Quicktime Alternative was created, because it gives you Pro for free. That's what I don't understand about Apple. You have to pay them money just to save a file. Just to save one stupid freaking little file in its original format! Steve Jobs must be high.

Yeah, it's QuickTime Alternative I was talking about, too. QuickTime alone doesn't even work with YTMND, but I'll bet it still hijacks the MP3s; a lose-lose situation, really.

I think that Quicktime Alternative works with YTMND. I've done it before. But the hijacking is still there.

The easy way around that... Download Quicktime player... or just have both Real and Media Player... Open the Quicktime items in a new window and it will use your Real. Although you may have to set your Real to be your default.

Also find a Linux disk (they're free) and replace your OS (Just remember to back up your files) and it comes default with players and crap. Or mine did anyway. I just bought a new computer with Linux. I tried to install two OS's... Windows 98SE and Linux, but I forgot that my Linux isn't run by MS-DOS, but NTFS, so it doesn't want to install Windows without setting a MS-DOS partition.

FoxBlitzz said:
Apple needs to be slapped in the face for even creating Quicktime Player. But I'm glad that Quicktime Alternative was created, because it gives you Pro for free. That's what I don't understand about Apple. You have to pay them money just to save a file. Just to save one stupid freaking little file in its original format! Steve Jobs must be high.

I'm not sure i've even used quick time lol.

Dark King of Hyrule said:
The easy way around that... Download Quicktime player... or just have both Real and Media Player... Open the Quicktime items in a new window and it will use your Real. Although you may have to set your Real to be your default.
Okay, you just lost all credibility there, since you are actually suggesting having Real Player installed on your system. I haven't had that installed on my system since like, 2002. Real Player is one of the worst media players ever at this point, and personally, if I can at all help it, I keep Quicktime and Real Player uninstalled because of their tendency to do things exactly as are described in this topic.

So true, Mystic, so true.

About the browser hijacking, I actually asked about it on the Apple support forums, and some guy called Quicktime Kirk told me it was a bug in Quicktime 7. But it still seems to be a problem with Firefox. Even if it were Apple's fault, I highly doubt they would fix it anytime soon, seeing as they made the whole dumbass Pro Version and probably want it to stick to your browser like glue anyways.

I think that I really want to contact Mozilla now. They really need to fix this, and stop depending on Quicktime so much.

If it works, then why not? I go for quality somethimes, but if you don't want it to happen, yet you don't want to use the correct player, don't whine about it... That is all I have to say. If you want to wonder why it uses one player to do something else that is intended for another player that you don't have and you don't want it because of an opinion about it, then un-set the other player to 'alyays choose this player for this format' and select it on another.

Dark King of Hyrule said:
If it works, then why not? I go for quality somethimes, but if you don't want it to happen, yet you don't want to use the correct player, don't whine about it... That is all I have to say. If you want to wonder why it uses one player to do something else that is intended for another player that you don't have and you don't want it because of an opinion about it, then un-set the other player to 'alyays choose this player for this format' and select it on another.
If it works badly, why use it at all when I can use something that works well? That's like saying "I use this sleeping bag to go to bed, even though I have a perfectly good bed." Yeah, there might be a few psychos that prefer the sleeping bag, but personally, I stay away from sleeping bags if I can at all help it.

Same with Real Player, and considering I never have to use Real Player formatted files anymore because anyone with a brain doesn't encode anything into that format anymore, I simply don't have it installed on any machine I own.

Sadly, some people actually USE Quicktime, so I essentially use it like I use a sleeping bag. Only when absolutely necessary.

There are so many GOOD media players out there, so there is just no excuse to install something like Real Player when Windows Media Player (Which is by no means the best, but at least passable) comes preinstalled with Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back