32x32 flats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay

I'm lazy, let's face it
While I was looking at the custom texture tutorial, I read here and here that SRB2 supports flats anywhere from 32x32 to 2048x2048 resolution. However, I tried converting a 32x32 texture to Doom Flat (Paletted) in SLADE, and nothing happened. I also tried "Convert to Doom Flat" in XWE, but that resized it to 64x64.

So, the Wiki says neither SLADE nor XWE support 32x32 flats -- however, none of the other lump editors listed support them either... How would I go about making them, then? If I can't, what's the purpose of them being supported in SRB2?

You can always make 64x64 flat where's four 32x32 flats. That should fix the problem.

Hrm, that's what I started doing a few hours ago. I wanted to try to make 32x32 flats to reduce file size, though, although I have no clue how much smaller it'd be in the first place...

You'd save exactly 3KB per flat, since flats are just stored as the sequence of palette indices that make up the image. You could try taking a 256 color BMP image of the image, stripping the header in a hex editor (0x0000-0x0479 in the bitmaps I've used it with) and importing as raw data, though that might not work. (You can also do the reverse to save flats that your editor doesn't support - export the raw lump, add the header from a 256-color bitmap of the same size and palette, and save as a BMP file.)

Buuuuuuuut for most sane people, just tiling the image in an image editor to pad it to 64x64 is more than sufficient.

Ah, I see. That's a very small difference, despite the work put into it... I'll just tile them. Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back