Official Level Design Contest Voting: May-June 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sonict said:
Sky Ninja said:
HEY! My wad isn't in it! It was a SP map, act 2, called technostorm2.wad! I sent that in June! Why didn't you put it up!?

technostorm2.wad <-- There is your problem. You didn't use the proper naming convention that every wad out there needs to have. For example: scr_mysticrealm.wad <-- "s" is single player, "c" is co-op, and "r" stands for race mode.

Sonict

Ah! that's my problem, i named it castlezone.wad, not sc_castlezone.wad!

Can i still send it in?

Zupersonic said:
Awwww, why isn't my map in the contest?

I did send the wad with my e-mail (no link from a website)

Could you tell me why my map isn't in it?
Your map SIGSEGVs on bootup. Either the file didn't send correctly or something is MAJORLY wrong with your stage.

Sky Ninja said:
HEY! My wad isn't in it! It was a SP map, act 2, called technostorm2.wad! I sent that in June! Why didn't you put it up!?
It also had absolutely no text in the e-mail body explain who you are, what gametype the file is (and I couldn't figure that out from the filename, either), or anything else about your WAD.

I have specific guidelines on the entry system for a reason. If you don't follow the instructions for entry, why enter at all?

Contrary to popular opinion, the filename has NOTHING to do with this, although it does help if you accidentally forget to say what gametype your file is.

SINGLE PLAYER
Grassy Grove Zone 1 by RedEchidna - 0
This level fails level design 101.

Diamondus Zone by Glaber - 5
The Jazz Jackrabbit textures are too small for the level. Some areas were a bit dark. The design is better then some of your other levels.

Nuclear Sunset Zone by BlueZero4 - 7
This level was nicely designed. There was a lack of enemies and that bouncy sector should have a different texture to indicate that it was bouncy.

Battlewoods 3 by Glaber - 1
The choice of music was not good. Some areas were cramped. I loathe the way clear enemys before passing through was used.

MATCH
MAPA1 - Medivo by Glaber - 3
Its better then some of your other maps, untill I noticed that you put all weapons in there. Even though it is secret it still fails.

MAPA2 - Hotel Hallway Zone by Dash the Hedgehog - 1
The textures blended together, and the level was cramped.

MAPA3 - Fort Island Zone by Xtreme Starfox - 5
The inside of the island was okay, but there is too much room on the outside. Its prone to having the battle take place outside all the time.

MAPA4 - Winter Twilight Zone by I'll Begin - 7
This one is a breath of fresh air, it was a good level. It might be too small for rail.

MAPA5 - Carved Canyon by Some guy - 7
I thought this map was a bit too small.

MAPA6 - Snow Shrine Zone by Oogaland - 9
This stage is well done.

CTF
MAPA7 - Castle Splash Zone by Xtreme Starfox - 4
I didn't like the flag placement at all for this map, and it was too vertical. I got stuck in the walls sometimes.

MAPA8 - Capture the flag... by Some guy - 6
This had quite a bit of misleading springs and the top path is much shorter then the bottom path.

MAPA9 - Mercury Sea Zone by Blue Warrior - 7
I thought this was a good map, maybe a tad small. I thought the scenery was a good idea, but maybe put it farther away so that people don't continuously try to get out.

MAPAA - RPChat Clan Hangout Zone by Penopat - 7
I do like the name of the level :P. Anyway its a nicely designed stage, although I thought the normal path was too long.

CIRCUIT
MAPAB - Furious Gorge Zone by Xtreme Starfox - 4
This had me confused when starting. I didn't really like that the water damaged you. It was generally flat.

MAPAC - Perpetual Wasteland by Some guy - 3
This one was confusing as well. The people going different ways had me lose my focus.

Mystic said:
Zupersonic said:
Awwww, why isn't my map in the contest?

I did send the wad with my e-mail (no link from a website)

Could you tell me why my map isn't in it?
Your map SIGSEGVs on bootup. Either the file didn't send correctly or something is MAJORLY wrong with your stage.

Sky Ninja said:
It also had absolutely no text in the e-mail body explain who you are, what gametype the file is (and I couldn't figure that out from the filename, either), or anything else about your WAD.

I have specific guidelines on the entry system for a reason. If you don't follow the instructions for entry, why enter at all?

Contrary to popular opinion, the filename has NOTHING to do with this, although it does help if you accidentally forget to say what gametype your file is.

Ah, i see, i remember that for the next contest.

Alright, here's my votes on the maps:

Single Player:
Grassy Grove Zone 1 by RedEchidna: 1/10
This map is just too cramped, and there are way too many enemies in it.

Diamondus Zone by Glaber: 3/10
This wasn't that bad, but three tokens? That's a bit too much. Most parts were a bit confusing in some areas, though, because I went in circles a couple times.

Nuclear Sunset Zone by BlueZero4: 7/10
5 routes to take. A bit much, but quite interesting to see the environment in the level. Although, the button searching thing wasn't very fun if you took the second long route.

Battlewoods 3 by Glaber: 7/10
Not race this time. Interesting. The music didn't go with the level, at all, but at least it means something to others. I liked the way you used linedef 15, but when I got to the end, and defeated everything except Eggman, the door opened, but obviously, the capsule didn't show, so I had to defeat Eggman to complete the stage.

Match(Played in SRB2JTE with 2 bots):
MAPA1 - Medivo by Glaber: 4/10
No, just no. World of pain gives a major problem to the map.

MAPA2 - Hotel Hallway Zone by Dash the Hedgehog: 2/10
Ugh. Too many obsticals that were blended into the stage.

MAPA3 - Fort Island Zone by Xtreme Starfox: 4/10
This map is like Zim's Base and Meadow Match zone combined. I didn't really like that the fact that there wasn't much of a place to find many people in.

MAPA4 - Winter Twilight Zone by I'll Begin: ?/10
No description yet.

MAPA5 - Carved Canyon by Some guy: ?/10
No description yet.

MAPA6 - Snow Shrine Zone by Oogaland: ?/10
No description yet.

Capture the Flag:
MAPA7 - Castle Splash Zone by Xtreme Starfox: ?/10
No description yet.

MAPA8 - Capture the flag... by Some guy: 5/10
This map wasn't that bad, and it looked like a maze. I wondered where some of the springs led to until I hit the springs.

MAPA9 - Mercury Sea Zone by Blue Warrior: 6/10
Ugh. This map is a bit small. There are two routes to get to the other team's base, but it just takes a spring to get there using Sonic, which makes one route avaliable.

MAPAA - RPChat Clan Hangout Zone by Penopat: 6/10
This map is a bit laggy, and there are too much routes to take.

Circuit:
MAPAB - Furious Gorge Zone by Xtreme Starfox: 3/10
Ugh. This is not a good map. Not enough competition here, and the water hurts, mainly a death pit. There is also a missing thok barrier on one part of the walls, which can kill the player if they thok through it.

MAPAC - Perpetual Wasteland by Some guy: 2/10
Where am I going? *falls into a death pit* I couldn't figure out where I was supposed to go. There were three routes to get to the checkpoint and back to the finish, which made me think: Wait a second.. am I supposed to go this way, that way, or the other way? This is basicly like "The Awsumest Race Ever" by Sonict, except not "awsume."

Vash said:
MAPA9 - Mercury Sea Zone by Blue Warrior: 6/10
Ugh. This map is a bit small. There are two routes to get to the other team's base, but it just takes a spring to get there using Sonic, which makes one route avaliable.

Explain what you mean about the last part of the paragraph. All characters can get to the flag both from the top and the bottom, so there's no limitations for any character.

As for the size, I had some uncertainty with choosing the correct length. My bad.

BlueZero4 said:
Just a reminder, you people should be playing these maps online with other humans.

Online.

It's a bit difficult if you can't even host.

I'm still waiting for that friggin' router.

Well, when you say that you make it sound like it's imposible to join other's netgames.

I mean, it's not like Mystic hosts a contest netgame every now and then.

It's not my fault hardly anyone joins my servers. Ports are set to 5029(Even the other port.. although I forgot which one that was.), and I have connection, and I'm not banned from the MS server, either.

Blue Warrior said:
Explain what you mean about the last part of the paragraph. All characters can get to the flag both from the top and the bottom, so there's no limitations for any character.
Wait... there were two routes to the flag? I didn't see the underwater one.

Single Player:

Grassy Grove Zone 1 by RedEchidna: 2/10

Cramped, linear and quite boring, although you do get some credit for thinking of using gargoyles to hop up that ramp.

Diamondus Zone by Glaber: 4/10

As a Jazz Jackrabbit fan myself, (hence my username) I appreciate the effort, but overall the map is devoid of detail, and could use some good Jazz Jackrabbit enemy replacements.

Nuclear Sunset Zone by BlueZero4: 7/10

Nicely done, I liked the non-linearity of the map, however, for some reason I was put into SA's control mode, which phails...

*EDIT* My apologies BZ4, the SA control mode was my problem not yours.

Battlewoods 3 by Glaber: 6/10

Also nicely done, reminded somewhat me of the forest levels from Mystic Realm in a good way. Some areas lacked polish, but the Jazz Jackrabbit boss music was a nice touch.

Match:

Medivo by Glaber: 4/10

A functional map, but looks absolutely nothing like the real Medivo...

Hotel Hallway Zone by Dash the Hedgehog: 3/10

Bleh... The elevators are okay, but not nice enough to save this drab map, also its hard to see the little walls because of the red texturing...

Fort Island Zone by Xtreme Starfox: 6/10

Respectable, its a bit too large, needs more rail rings, but is not a bad map nonetheless.

Winter Twilight Zone by I'll Begin: 8/10

Pretty, OpenGL lighting was a nice touch, some of the texturing looked a little inconsistent, but still a very good map.

Carved Canyon by Some guy: 9/10

My top pick, excellently done, though the texturing on the waterfall looked somewhat segmented.

Snow Shrine Zone by Oogaland: 8/10

Quite good, but the textures on the towers felt somewhat out of place on the snow level.

Uh, Jazz, did you have lightdash on?

If not, then go and test it again. It's probably something in the options menu.

Will do, must not have payed attention to that detail.

Yeah, it was me, I fixed the thread above...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back