A Trio of 2.2 Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, an MvM style mode would test your knowledge of enemy tactics, and test map knowledge. As well, if character based bosses appear, you can also test your basic pvp skill. Oh, and hats would actually help you tell who's who and add some personalization, and could be implemented into the achivements. They'd also be quite easy to make, requiring one simple set of sprites.
You should really keep at least H&S if you decide to remove tag, because it completes our spectrum for casual-competitive versus modes.

It's not just about whether the mode is well-designed, it's what it adds to the game. Circuit being removed isn't a big deal, because we already have two modes of race that promote the same skillset plus more variety. H&S is a neat game mode because it tests the players' knowledge of the maps and it's the most laidback game mode we have.

Tag is... I dunno, it's death match against unarmed civilians. Do what Red said and turn it into Supervirus or something.
And if Tag is going to be changed, make it like SuperVirus, or remove it. Also H&S can be great fun, but could be tweaked to be slightly quicker, but is completely optional, as it's pretty good at the moment.

Last edited:
I'm late to the party it seems.
The new spin animation looks really nice. It's a refreshing change from the boring jump animation we all have seen hundreds and hundreds of times.
Also, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO DEEP SEA ZONE? It looks... SO MUCH BETTER! Okay, exaggerations aside, from this single picture you can expect a whole new DSZ. And it's going to be awesome.
And yay for ice levels.

Nice spindash animation. Really excited for Arid Canyon Zone Acts 2 and 3. I wonder what the boss is going to be. Also, the Single Player campaign REALLY needs an ice-themed level.

Also, the Single Player campaign REALLY needs an ice-themed level.
An Ice Level? No. Considering Sonic's controls are semi-slippery to begin with, what we need is a Snow Level.

On the topic of ACZ's boss, I kind of hope it has some Wile E. Coyote charm to it, because the level was inspired by those cartoons (Which I loved).

giphy.gif

Saturn, that's what he meant: and Ice/Snow-themed level.

Sorry. I just said that because I thought he meant an Ice dominant level, and so many levels of that type become slippery platforming messes. I think the level should be more snowy, with less focus on the ice. That faceplam was deserved.

I was previously unaware that video game environments (made with the DOOM engine no less!) could trigger sexual arousal.

That ice stage hath enlightened me.

Team Sonic Jr comes again!

I cant wait to try out the 2.2 version. Its textures and levels look good and levels are perfect. The only thing is will you be adding a story line or something?

The only thing is will you be adding a story line or something?

A storyline has been around for ages. You can read it here or simply by not skipping the intro sequence when you start up the game (which I recommend doing so, as it has music, is longer and has cool text effects).

Also, would it possible to update nearly everything on the SRB2.org sidebar?

No matter how bad the feature, someone is going to hate us for removing their pet feature, so it's best to just disregard them and remove it anyways for the good of the game.

I don't see how outright removing features is a good thing at all to be honest. There ARE people out there that enjoy the features of the game everyone seems to overlook. Strafe on was removed for... what exactly? Barely a KB (not even really that) of space saved?

The features that have been removed as of recently are just optional features that you can outright ignore or optional gamemodes you can also outright ignore. Match counts as one of them because you can just outright ignore match servers. Are you going to remove that too?

Circuit may have been complained about (because people cared about that gametype) but removing it outright did what? It did barely anything but tick people off that loved that gamemode. Wanna know why people don't complain about Competition or the other gamemodes? You never see ANYONE host on the master server using those gamemodes. No-one really cares about them. But you should still keep them in. Because some people actually genuinely like features that are put into the game. Removing things is practically reverse progress.

Regardless, don't get me wrong. I like to see 2.2 have progress be made, of course, but it seems that so many features are outright getting removed for barely any reason at all IF any.

Circuit still exists in the code, and will appear in the gamemodes when you add a map that declares itself to use Circuit mode. There just aren't any Circuit maps included in SRB2 because the devs didn't think they were good enough, but anyone's welcome to make their own .wad with the maps from 2.0 and distribute it amongst their friend groups if people really want to play it.

Sometimes features are just plain half baked and nobody wants to work on them any more. This is a fan game, so no money's being exchanged; people are just doing stuff because they want to. If they don't think something matches the quality of the rest of the game, it probably deserved to be removed.

That said, I do think they could stand to be a smidge more consistent. If Circuit wasn't good enough for modern SRB2, then Meadow Match in its current state sure as hell isn't.

Last edited:
I don't see how outright removing features is a good thing at all to be honest. There ARE people out there that enjoy the features of the game everyone seems to overlook. Strafe on was removed for... what exactly? Barely a KB (not even really that) of space saved?
First off, Strafe On was removed because of a significant exploit in the movement code you could use to get double acceleration through a glitch. When we fixed the other movement exploits in 2.1, it wouldn't do to have everyone switch from doing one movement glitch to another one.

Second, I think you completely misunderstand why we delete things. There are a lot of different reasons why we choose to remove things from the game. Here's a sampling of the most common reasons:

• The feature got replaced with a new, better version. While you'd think nobody would bitch about this, you would be surprised.
  • The feature is out of date and was no longer functional. Features nobody uses tend to accumulate bugs over time because nobody is using them to find out if they still work.
  • The feature is no longer used. This is similar to the previous reason, but not enough time has gone by for it to actually break outright. If nobody is using a feature, it's generally best to remove it to keep the game free of features that will inevitably break in the future.
  • The feature is bad and actively causing problems because of its lack of quality.
  • The feature is bad and because of its lack of quality, nobody on the team wants to maintain it anymore.
The one that people tend to complain about is when we remove things because they suck, because no matter how bad something is, there is always somebody somewhere that thinks we're full of shit and that Chaos mode is the best competitive multiplayer gametype ever conceived. While a lot of people like to take the stance that bad features you have to turn on yourself don't hurt the game as a whole, everyone always seems to forget that even the simplest features require active maintenance to keep them working properly. Because that takes actual time and effort, it's often better to drop bad features and put that time and effort towards something better. Remember that we're a small group of volunteers, and I'd rather us put forth our effort on making new content than maintain a maligned feature only a small minority cares about.

That said, I do think they could stand to be a smidge more consistent. If Circuit wasn't good enough for modern SRB2, then Meadow Match in its current state sure as hell isn't.
I DID delete Meadow Match when developing 2.0. It was put back by popular demand. Sometimes it's just not worth fighting the fight and concentrating on more important things.

Wait, are you serious? I thought you were the one keeping it around by sheer force of will.

The more you know.

This is about me not going to this message board... right?

2.2... I'm looking forward to this release and I hope... HOPE... this comes as soon as possible. Don't ask why.
The remake of sonic's spindash, or sprites... the levels themself... the new textures... they... look... so... awesome.

Lots of words

Huh. That makes things make a lot more sense, to be honest. I didn't even consider the fact that it could be breaking the game in the long run and making time get wasted on the features that barely anyone uses. Good thinking somewhat.

Regardless, 2.2 doesn't seem to have a huge amount to offer just yet (save for the DSZ thing), but of course I'll eagerly await this as I did 2.1 in the hopes of something awesome.

i wonder if anyone has one of those CEZ1 remake gifs on them that Nev3r shown off in #srb2fun

Yes, yes, YES!! New CEZ1 confirmed (Even tough I knew it earlier)! ...End of the hype, moving on.

Reguarding slopes, what are you guys even planning to do with them? I mean sure this is good but I doubt to see loops or crazy wall physics in SRB2...
...Maybe ramps? ...No, I must stop getting high on drugs, this is SRB2, after all. They're just gonna be plain GFZ2 slopes without the stair-look, that's right?

You... you have seen the slopes, right?

Even that is under controversy. In 'fun Sonict and a few other devs were outright questioning if they should be included at ALL (for whatever reason I'll never understand) a few days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back