SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Archived > Outdated Releases (2.0.X) > Levels (2.0.X)

Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad) Details »»
Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad)
Version: 9.0, by Fawfulfan (The Tortured Planet guy) Fawfulfan is offline
Developer Last Online: Jul 2017

Version: SRB2 Rating: (82 votes - 4.02 average)
Released: 03-19-2010 Last Update: 07-07-2012 Installs: 52
Single Player Levels Multiplayer Levels SOCs Sprites/Graphics

I know some of you have been waiting for this. You've been waiting for far too long. I've been so focused on other projects, and putting the finishing touches on this was an incredibly low priority for me. But I figured I might as well get it out there, for those of you who want it.

I'm probably not representing this update too well; the truth is, v9 is a huge change. All the levels have undergone massive renovation, plus there's custom music now, courtesy of Charybdizs.

Remember, there is a separate file for music. It's too big to upload here, so I'm providing mirrors.

I'd like to thank everyone who both loved and hated this mod...this community has really helped me on my quest to become a professional game designer. I hope you enjoy it.

Spoiler: changelog
Beta 1: The first demo of this mod. Just included Sunshine Atoll Zone and all the boss battles.

Beta 2: Eruption Conduit Zone and Drowned Downtown Zone have been added, plus a lot of renovations to most of the levels already in the pack!

Beta 3: Snowcap Nimbus Zone and Gritty Columns Zone have been added, plus some more renovations to existing levels. Notably, a new path has been created in SAZ1!

Final Demo: Fume Shaft Zone and Liftoff Gantry Zone have been added. Several of the boss battles have been improved, some drastically overhauled. And a few levels have been tweaked a bit.

Version 1.0: Now we're getting somewhere! Here's a list of the most significant new features:

-Complete Single Player Campaign. The levels are still in a pretty crude shape right now, and they will be improved later, but they're all there!

-Full Coop Support, and Coop-friendly alternate routes in some levels.

-Gamedata and saving capabilities.

-Emblem Hunt! There are 54 emblems in Tortured Planet right now (the Statistics page in the game says 56, but it's counting the secret emblems, which I have not added). One for each player in each of the first two acts of every zone, just like in the official level set. Be aware that the emblem locations are not necessarily permanent--some of the emblems have a somewhat crude placement, especially the ones for Knuckles. Later versions might have emblems which are hidden more creatively.

-A special intro cutscene, replacing the official intro, which explains the back story of Tortured Planet (I already explain it in this topic, but it's nice to have a reference in the mod itself).

-SIGNIFICANT changes to Sunshine Atoll Zone Acts 1 and 2. I'm not telling you what they are; you have to play to find out. However, you'll see many of them from the moment you load up the level.

-General bugfixing throughout the game.

Version 1.1: A hasty bugfix for v1.0.

Version 1.2: A hasty bugfix for v1.1.

Version 2.0: The Match levels have been made, and a few more minor graphical and gameplay bugs have been fixed.

Version 3.0: With the exception of Star Showdown Zone, literally every single map in the entire game has been overhauled at least somewhat (it's not apparent in some of the boss battles, but yes, I did make at least some really minor changes to all of them, too!) The Match levels, though still hardly top-notch material, have had many of their most glaring flaws corrected. And as for the Single Player levels, many of them have been totally transformed. You'll see more texture variation, more path splits, more new gimmicks, new areas, more secrets, and a general reduction in bugs. In addition, I followed a lot of the advice that has been given to me on improving the levels, so you'll see some of your wishes come true!

There is going to be a v4.0, but this should certainly tide you over until then.

Version 3.1: WHOOPS! V3.0 had a couple of problematic bugs...they've been fixed now.

Version 4.0: This update is pretty much as big as 3.0 was. Practically every level has been updated in some way, and many of them have significant new areas, gimmicks, and glitch removal. Also, new cutscenes have been added for the beginning of each zone!

Version 4.1: Bugfix.

Version 5.0: The most massive update yet. Most levels have been improved, some enormously expanded. ECZ1 was scrapped and remade entirely. Sunshine Atoll, Fume Shaft, Liftoff Gantry, and Spacewalk all have lots of new custom textures, and Gritty Columns now takes full advantage of the DSZ set. The boss battles have been revamped, the biggest changes occurring in Fume Shaft 3 and Star Showdown. There are loads more changes that you should also be on the lookout for!

Version 5.1: Critical bugfix (a pattern emerges).

Version 5.2: Son of critical bugfix.

Version 5.3: Good grief, another bugfix!

Version 6.0: This update puts 5.0 to shame. It features level improvements just as expansive, plus new secrets and unlockables. There is now a purpose to collecting the emblems and the Chaos Emeralds. Music has been changed in places, too. The levels themselves feature mostly visual improvements, but there are also some new or modified gimmicks and challenges to watch out for, as well as one or two new path splits.

Version 6.1: The mandatory hasty bugfix. This contains a lot of little fixes, instead of just the usual one or two.

Version 6.2: Actually, this one's got a little more than just bugfixes. It also features some minor graphical improvements to GCZ, and Weightless Whaling Zone has been optimized somewhat.

Version 6.3: All previous updates have either been large-scale transformations or tiny bugfixes. This is the first one to be somewhere in between. Version 6.3 features a whole slew of bugfixes, plus substantial changes to the first three zones!

Version 6.4: A couple of bugfixes, improvements to SAZ1 and ECZ, and optimization.

Version 6.4.1: Infinitesimal tweaking of SAZ.

Version 7.0: Sorry, but here's where the trend stops. v7.0 is nowhere near as expansive an improvement as v6.0. But there's still a fair amount of new stuff. The biggest change is the addition of the Tortured Archives, an unlockable blast-from-the-past that will allow you to play Tortured Planet as it was in Version 1.2, pretty much the first stable and complete version of the pack. Of course, v7.0 levels beat the hell out of v1.2 levels, but perhaps a playthrough of the pack at its worst will help you appreciate how far Tortured Planet has come. Besides Tortured Archives, you'll also find an even better Sunshine Atoll Zone, plus scattered bugfixes.

Version 7.0.1: Correction to the MAINCFG lump.

Version 7.1: Minor bugfixes, improvements, and optimization of ECZ2, SNZ1, and GCZ1.

Version 8.0: Significant improvement of ECZ, DDZ, and SNZ, moderate improvement of GCZ and LGZ, and small adjustments to SAZ, FSZ, and SWZ.

Version 8.1: FSZ2 was previously riddled with bugs. Well, not anymore!

Version 8.1.1: Hasty tweak of DDZ2.

Version 8.2: A bunch of bugfixes and optimization.

Version 8.3: Improvement to FSZ2, slight changes to ECZ1, and some assorted bugfixes.

Version 8.4: More bugfixes for FSZ2.

Version 9.0: The mother of all improvements, and probably the last one I'll do, unless I decide to create a 2.1-compatible version when the time comes. Every level has undergone tremendous changes, including scenery updates, gimmick updates, and hundreds upon hundreds of glitches fixed.

Also, Spacewalk Zone is now 100% optional. Those few players who still want to brave this monument to wasted effort can still do so, and the remaining 99.9% can simply jump on the SKIP pad at the very start of the level to take them straight to AAZ.

Finally, of course, there's Charybdizs's music. You'll have to download a separate file, but it's definitely worth it...particularly since the levels are silent without it!

The Story:

After Sonic and company beat Dr. Eggman in Final Fight Zone, the evil scientist fled to another planet, taking the few functional robots he had left with him. Sonic and his friends felt they needed a good, long vacation, and went to Sunshine Atoll Zone for a few months of sun and surf.

But a few weeks into their vacation, EGGMAN ATTACKED AGAIN!

Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles managed to escape to the other side of the island unharmed, but they were seriously confused. How had Eggman managed to return so quickly?

After spying on some robots, Sonic discovered the answer: the planet Eggman had fled to was rich in natural resources--and was home to a peaceable but strong alien race which Eggman had enslaved to reconstruct his evil schemes.

Well, the three of them had to do something. This alien planet desperately needed their help--and what was more, now that Dr. Eggman was powerful again, he was also taking over Mobius! Will Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles EVER get to finish their vacation?

Downloads:

MUSIC MIRROR:
http://miburl.com/i12LBS

Download Now

File Type: rar scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.rar (15.02 MB, 7171 views)
File Type: rar TP_Music.part1.rar (23.84 MB, 4863 views)
File Type: rar TP_Music.part2.rar (15.67 MB, 4675 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	saz.jpg
Views:	6373
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	895   Click image for larger version

Name:	ecz.jpg
Views:	6211
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	896   Click image for larger version

Name:	ddz.jpg
Views:	5889
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	897   Click image for larger version

Name:	snz.jpg
Views:	5936
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	898   Click image for larger version

Name:	gcz.jpg
Views:	6517
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	899  

Click image for larger version

Name:	fsz.jpg
Views:	3517
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	900   Click image for larger version

Name:	lgz.jpg
Views:	3205
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	901   Click image for larger version

Name:	sz.jpg
Views:	5768
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	902   Click image for larger version

Name:	aaz.jpg
Views:	5596
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	903  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 08-10-2010   #602
daiches99
Mr. Magic Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritCrusher View Post
A mixture of bugfixes and more substantial improvements to the first three zones, as he already stated.
Guessing it would be a while before the next release?

Also, on the other side of the entrance to the emerald room in SWZ1 there is a missing texture.

Last edited by daiches99; 08-10-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-10-2010   #603
Fawfulfan
The Tortured Planet guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daiches99 View Post
Guessing it would be a while before the next release?
Nope. In fact, it's out now.
Old 08-10-2010   #604
corrector

Hi Fawfulfan! i recently downloaded the 6.3v of TP and i found a several mistake (glitch) in SAZ act 1, there is a long grass tile floating in the air.

I played all of SAZ and it became better, i will give a 8,5/10 for the good gameplay (and now it's one of the best first zone over all level packs). I'm not giving you 10/10 for two complaints:
·Bad placed robo hoods in act 2 (-0,50)
·The zone itself it's a little unplayable in some parts because there are a lot of sectors that are laggy (The same problem have ECZ,DDZ,LGZ,AAZ). (-1)

ECZ: great level. Here are my complaint:

I could pass easily the crushers and falling yellow blocks sectors bording the rooms (on the sides).

DDZ: mmm, i don't like the new textures, but those put a more variation in the level. In some areas i felt that i'm playing Duke Nukem or Doom. But you could keep those textures and change it when SRB2 release Dark City Zone.
Old 08-11-2010   #605
D00D64
A "rather brash" indivisual

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrector View Post
DDZ: mmm, i don't like the new textures, but those put a more variation in the level. In some areas i felt that i'm playing Duke Nukem or Doom. But you could keep those textures and change it when SRB2 release Dark City Zone.
...okay, either BOTH of the download links are wrong, I'm missing something, or corrector just looked at that one screenshot, because to me, DDZ looks EXACTLY THE SAME. Okay, for some reason, the version Iw as using was just a FEW letters off from the previous one or something.

Okay, so you MIXED it with current textures? Ugh...
I know this is still slightly better than the older job, but most of the DCZ textures and your custom ones just don't blend well with Duke. More in particular, the black & red bricks and your varients. They just clash compeltely.

Try to stick with a centralized pallete for your level. Brown + black + gray might be overdone, but it works well for this stage. I suggest you keep the bricks out, as not only do they clash colorwise, but art style wise.

Also try to think of just how the texture was used. For example, who's gonna draw the EXACT SAME graffiti over and over on the same wall in a perfect pattern? Why would a window be used on a wall a foot thick? Why is that window CUT OFF? Why are there cartoony crates (ACZ) mixed with realistic (Duke) ones? Think carefully when using textures like that.
Quote:
<SpiritCrusher> But I wouldn't say "dead Jew child" is incorrect
<SpiritCrusher> Nobody would doubt that it's a dead Jew child

Last edited by D00D64; 08-11-2010 at 03:04 AM.
Old 08-11-2010   #606
metalsonicmk72

Don't know if this issue has been stated yet but in Eruption Conduct Zone Act 2 when you go into the room where you fight the Crawla Commanders on the giant conveyor belt. If you fall into the lava, there is no way to get back up if you are Sonic.
Old 08-11-2010   #607
MascaraSnake
aka SpiritCrusher

Are you sure you even changed anything in ECZ? I couldn't spot a single difference, to be honest.
Old 08-11-2010   #608
Fawfulfan
The Tortured Planet guy

ECZ changed very little, but there are still modifications here and there. One of the lava areas that was impossible to get out of now has an escape route, for instance. However, the real foci of v6.3 were SAZ and DDZ. v6.4 will focus on SNZ and (possibly) ECZ.

---------- Post added at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrector View Post
Hi Fawfulfan! i recently downloaded the 6.3v of TP and i found a several mistake (glitch) in SAZ act 1, there is a long grass tile floating in the air.
Ummm...WHERE in SAZ1? I can't find this glitch.
Old 08-11-2010   #609
MascaraSnake
aka SpiritCrusher

Well, you didn't do anything to the yellow blocks, which you said you would for v6.3.

So, in SAZ, you still have those awful lakes at the end of Act 1. Do you really love them that much or did you just not get around to replacing them yet?
Old 08-11-2010   #610
Fooruman
lurkers gonna lurk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawfulfan View Post
Ummm...WHERE in SAZ1? I can't find this glitch.

Near the end of the level.
Old 08-11-2010   #611
Fawfulfan
The Tortured Planet guy

Well, the lakes have actually been made considerably shallower. But I am making a hasty additional update which could address them further.
Old 08-11-2010   #612
MascaraSnake
aka SpiritCrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawfulfan View Post
Well, the lakes have actually been made considerably shallower. But I am making a hasty additional update which could address them further.
I think if you just make sure the player actually has to hop across the islands instead of running along the edges, they'd be much better. But then again, you still haven't used the plants as stepping stones, so you might wanna try and incorporate that.
Old 08-11-2010   #613
corrector

I agree with SpiritCrusher the lakes sections in SAZ are a little boring, after you fall in the water you have to find a spring and return to the outside. Those sections don't offer any challenge and are boring, luckly the rest of the level are really well done. I suggest you to use the jet jaw in water areas, i know that you don't want to use the same enemie for different zones, but sometimes i think that some enemies could be placed again in another zone to make it more interesting (in SAZ and SNZ jet jaw in water areas, in SWZ crawla commander, popup turret, snailers or jetty-syns for outsides areas), also i think you could remove some enemies in AAZ and replace by others (green turtle, snailer, pointys, BUSH).
Old 08-11-2010   #614
MascaraSnake
aka SpiritCrusher

Another thing I forgot to mention regarding the lakes: The springs that make you escape are at the end of them. If you fall in, you can skip everything. So, if I were you, I would move the springs to the back end and remove the ground around the outer edges.
Old 08-11-2010   #615
Fawfulfan
The Tortured Planet guy

I'll do that.

Also, I forgot about my promise to modify the yellow blocks. I'm recategorizing v6.4 as an amendment to v6.3...I think you can expect to see it released later today.
Old 08-11-2010   #616
daiches99
Mr. Magic Series

Quote:
I think if you just make sure the player actually has to hop across the islands instead of running along the edges, they'd be much better. But then again, you still haven't used the plants as stepping stones, so you might wanna try and incorporate that.
But the trees are used as stepping stones at one part, is that not decent enough?
I think SAZ2 has more vertical platforming such as at the end which removes thoking corners. It makes it a bit more exciting however, I found a gaphical error in the lake section as well as (to my misfortune) still large lag around the first part of the starting room.
Old 08-11-2010   #617
MascaraSnake
aka SpiritCrusher

Quote:
But the trees are used as stepping stones at one part, is that not decent enough?
Of course, I really like that section. But then again, why should he not use that gimmick if he could use it easily? The level is great without them, but they would add a bit of a new dimension.
Old 08-11-2010   #618
daiches99
Mr. Magic Series

Quote:
Of course, I really like that section. But then again, why should he not use that gimmick if he could use it easily? The level is great without them, but they would add a bit of a new dimension.
Yes, but remember that they are fiddly from how small they are. Slightly bigger trees could work better yes, I think it would add a bit more of exploration to the level.
Old 08-11-2010   #619
MascaraSnake
aka SpiritCrusher

Quote:
Yes, but remember that they are fiddly from how small they are. Slightly bigger trees could work better yes, I think it would add a bit more of exploration to the level.
Well, there already bigger trees in the level. Also, hopping on these plants actually works rather well, I tried it out. They're not really too small.
Old 08-11-2010   #620
daiches99
Mr. Magic Series

Quote:
Well, there already bigger trees in the level. Also, hopping on these plants actually works rather well, I tried it out. They're not really too small.
Perhaps have a 'James and the giant beanstalk' moment and have a huge one of those plants pop out of the ground?
Old 08-11-2010   #621
SoniKlos
*Insert whacky title here*

I can't play this anymore, most of the levels have too much lag D: