Jelly.wad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jellybones

Lawful Neutral
This is my first character wad. It's Jellybones!
BIG thanks to Darkness Claw for helping me with this. He recolored every sprite so that Jelly could change colors, fixed the wad whenever it broke down (and for a while that was everytime I changed him) and he did so much other stuff for this, I owe him. A LOT. Also, another large thank you to Morph, who let me use his custom ability, the Dash Spin.

Now for screens..

srb20002-5.png

srb20003-4.png

This is the Dash Spin. It effects the character's spinning so that he'll start to rise slowly higher above the ground during his spinning-movement. While you are doing the dash spin, you can combine it with Jelly's double jump ability to get higher.
srb20004-4.png

Of course you'll stop spinning after performing the special ability.

Now for the download,
http://srb2ffh.supersanctuary.net/119Jelly.wad

And a mirror.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/yvwami

It's always nice to see a new character (at least to me--they aren't all that common anymore), but I STRONGLY recommend that you remove that shadow that appears underneath Jellybones when he moves. Here's why:

1. It looks weird.
2. No other character has something like that.
3. It doesn't appear in all frames, which makes it look a bit crude.
4. Some mods create a shadow effect beneath characters anyway.

Aside from that, though, I like it. A lot.

fawfulfan said:
3. It doesn't appear in all frames, which makes it look a bit crude..

Thanks, but which frames doesn't it appear on? Besides his jumping frames and his spring up/down frames?

It looks rather... Odd. But I like it. It just needs some work to make it look less funky. Try smoothing him out a bit.

GREG THE CAT said:
Eggman's jelly and loose bones made quite a cool character!

Good job, Mr. Bones!

Thank you. I forgot about that backstory, but it's not really his. It's just one JEV3 helped me make up for that RP only. He doesn't really have a backstory.

Also, loose bones almost made me spit out my drink. XD

Jellybones69 said:
fawfulfan said:
Umm...His idle frames, for one...

Oh. He's not floating in those frames though. He only floats when he moves. So no shadow.

I understand your logic, but I still think the shadow looks kind of funky. Could you just try taking it out and seeing what it looks like?

His spin / jumpspin animation should be a little more dynamic. Take this cycling for example:
1.png
2.png
3.png
2.png

It's not very outstanding or something, but it looks like the character actually is doing something.

You also might replace each 4 sprites that look all the same independent from the viewing angle with a single one:
{AAMYL1 | AAMYL2L8 | AAMYL3L7 | AAMYL4L6 | AAMYL5} ==> AAMYL0
To reduce the wad size.

Jellybones69 said:
Thank you. I forgot about that backstory, but it's not really his. It's just one JEV3 helped me make up for that RP only. He doesn't really have a backstory.

Also, loose bones almost made me spit out my drink. XD

Jellybones looks better as Frankenstein than E.T. any day in my book. =P

To be serious though, the actual physicality of the character is quite unique, and I like that. However, the sprites are very rough and don't quite do it justice. Here are some ideas to help with the character:

* Choose a single image of your character to represent its intended appearance, and keep working on the separate angles until the same shape can be immediately understood. I can't help much here because this is where I always mess up...

* Shading is needed just about everywhere. A Jell-o like impression can be given by using irregular shading (no uniform oval or ellipse shapes) and further accentuated by lightening areas that should be totally see-through (if there are any). Use the off-color pink/red range to give yourself plenty of shades to choose from.

* Give it some kind of color variation. Scales should probably be a lighter shade than the rest of the body, horns should probably be darker. I'd expect some kind of variation between the torso and the limbs, but it should hardly be noticeable at a glance.

* Get rid of the black outline, and replace it with a suitably dark shade of whatever color is used.

* Perhaps bones would be better seen as a skeleton inside the jell-o. Try using subtle shading to put the bones inside the character and see what it looks like. Hands and feet would also work best as bony claws.

* In all animations, make sure it functions the same way you would expect, but is slightly distorted or wobbly. If it doesn't look right, then it is probably not subtle enough, but the entire jell-o mass should shift whenever he puts his weight on one of his limbs, and would start to wiggle when he's running.

* Surely you have the imagination to give him a really cool looking spinform? Considering that he's either an odd mixture of substances or an alien, he should easily be able to have some kind of creative form for his dash and jumping. Perhaps make it drippy or bumpy, or make it look like he has physically morphed into a different form.

It needs a lot of work, but once you have the spriting skills to pull it off, he has the potential of being a very original character. Good luck.

JEV3 said:
* Choose a single image of your character to represent its intended appearance, and keep working on the separate angles until the same shape can be immediately understood. I can't help much here because this is where I always mess up...

I like his frames, but for sure I'm going to re-do his side-frames. I don't like them..

* Shading is needed just about everywhere. A Jell-o like impression can be given by using irregular shading (no uniform oval or ellipse shapes) and further accentuated by lightening areas that should be totally see-through (if there are any). Use the off-color pink/red range to give yourself plenty of shades to choose from.

I'm not sure about this one, but I'll try it.

* Perhaps bones would be better seen as a skeleton inside the jell-o. Try using subtle shading to put the bones inside the character and see what it looks like. Hands and feet would also work best as bony claws.
I don't want to make it so you can see ALL his bones (Just the weird rib cage like the rest of the sprites) I did edit his feet's claws though. He never had claws on his hands.

Surely you have the imagination to give him a really cool looking spinform? Considering that he's either an odd mixture of substances or an alien, he should easily be able to have some kind of creative form for his dash and jumping. Perhaps make it drippy or bumpy, or make it look like he has physically morphed into a different form.
I'm going to use Morph's, because I like them a lot. It's jiggly.

Anyway, I just removed the black outline for now. I'll work on other sprites later, and I'll remove the shadow and use Morph's spin form while I'm at it for the Jump/Spin frames.

How's this so far?
aamyb1ci4.png

I took a look at that tutorial, and redid my sprite. I also tried what JEV3 said, and I made it more like you were seeing his bones through his jelly.

aamyb1yh8.png

Ignore the boxes on the side, It's just a little thing I like to use that helps me.

Try to make a more natural rib cage, and don't outline it extremely... just use subtle shading.

Also, if you aren't planning on working with it much more as far as the shape goes, at least fix the horns on the front image.

Same goes as everybody else, try to use rough shading (as shown by the tutorial) and avoid pillow shading like the plague.

Hey, I'm glad to see he's finally out! Nice work, if you keep redoing the sprites like the one a couple of posts up, He'll look better than ever!
Also, if there's anything else I can help you with, just give me a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back