Single Player level pack collab suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moved some non-voting posts from the voting thread over here. Remember: The voting thread is only for voting, all other discussion should be here.

Blade said:
After talking about it some on 'fun, Katmint and myself have desided to merge Frost Factory and Cryonic City together, with Act one having a small city before the factory.

This means you get to send out one more PM. Hurray! 8D
Welp, this means that there has been another merger of zones.

My apologies for the mess, I should have sorted out mergers before opening voting, but at least it's a learning experience I suppose.

Okay, before this gets off the ground:

We need a central badnik theme. I'm extremely exhausted of seeing the official SRB2's constant balls-with-eyes, lazy, and uninspired badnik design out the ass. I suggest we follow a certain badnik design theme like the original trilogy games. Sonic 1, 2, and 3 followed a central badnik design centered around real life animals morphed into a robotic form, very fitting for the Sonic universe and much more interesting design wise. Though I prefer the animal badnik inspiration myself, I know this may not sit with everyone. It doesn't necessarily even have to follow said design limitations; Sonic CD's badniks consisted mostly of bugs/insects. All the badniks don't need to follow the same derivation, but the majority SHOULD to keep a somewhat decent track of consistency.

So I'd like to hear what you guys think about the suggestion.

tl;dr, badniks should all be plants and animals.

Last edited:
Okay, before this gets off the ground:

We need a central badnik theme. I'm extremely exhausted of seeing the official SRB2's constant balls-with-eyes, lazy, and uninspired badnik design out the ass. I suggest we follow a certain badnik design theme like the original trilogy games. Sonic 1, 2, and 3 followed a central badnik design centered around real life animals morphed into a robotic form, very fitting for the Sonic universe and much more interesting design wise. Though I prefer the animal badnik inspiration myself, I know this may not sit with everyone. It doesn't necessarily even have to follow said design limitations; Sonic CD's badniks consisted mostly of bugs/insects. All the badniks don't need to follow the same derivation, but the majority SHOULD to keep a somewhat decent track of consistency.

So I'd like to hear what you guys think about the suggestion.

While I mostly agree with this, I feel that it won't work for some of the city/machine stages. But majority should be animal/bug/plant themed, with some more creative ones for some of the other themes.

Also, I'd rather we avoid bosses that are just Egg Mobile recolors.

Well yes, of course, Sonic 3 knew when they just couldn't follow the animal design limits at one point (Death Egg and Sky Sanctuary). But I still suggest we follow the rule as best as we can.

Also, custom bosses or bust!

It seems that a week of voting is a little too long for this, so I've changed the date when voting ends to the 13th. Now it'll conclude a few days earlier and let us have a finalized zone list slightly faster.

I would love for this to be the case. Perhaps one or two exceptions made where necessary, for example I have no idea what animal the gravity changing turret planned for Gravity Garden could be.

It seems that a week of voting is a little too long for this, so I've changed the date when voting ends to the 13th. Now it'll conclude a few days earlier and let us have a finalized zone list slightly faster.

I would love for this to be the case. Perhaps one or two exceptions made where necessary, for example I have no idea what animal the gravity changing turret planned for Gravity Garden could be.
It could be some kind of plant, perhaps taking some design cues from Biollante's first form or the flower badnik from Angel Island Zone, or maybe a spitting cobra or a whack-a-mole looking thing armed with some gravity-screwing cannon arms. Or even a mechanical predatory tunicate if you want to get into really obscure animals, though you could take the exact same design, paint it green and call it "SNAPTRAP" or something like that.

So, I have a suggestion for you guys: Per-level SOC files.

Basically, by doing this, we'd avoid the conflicts between two zones using the same freeslots by them simply not using the same SOCs. For example, say Zone 1 is using Object Freeslot 1 for a Coconuts badnik, while Zone 2 uses it for a scenery object. Zone 1 would still have its badnik, while zone 2 would have its flower because they arn't connected in any way.

How it works is that each Zone has Runsoc for their zone at the start, and in between each Zone is a "intermission" act, which can be a title card or something. During this fawx-act is the "normalization" SOC, which makes every object the default, and all freestates into blank ones. Then it loads the next level with the new SOCs.

Sprites would still have to be sorted out though. Perhaps each zone could "reserve" them or something, but if we make it so SOCs are individually packed to their zones, it becomes much easier to bugfix and so-on. As for what to do during those intermission maps... well, be creative! In multiplayer, these acts would have to be the selectable ones though. Otherwise, it could be a real mess if someone warped from one act to another without normalizing the SOCs first...

If this project really takes off, I'll do music and any sound effects you guys need.

If this project really takes off, I'll do music and any sound effects you guys need.

You mean you'll join MonsterIestyn and I. ;)

Good luck avoiding this becoming another SRB2&K

Go lock your pessimistic self in a forgotten closet somewhere. :p

But seriously, we're well aware of SRB2&K. We're trying to make this the exception. Don't discourage us, encourage us. If you know what specific things made SRB2&K crash, tell us, so we can avoid those if at all possible.

So, I have a suggestion for you guys: Per-level SOC files.

Basically, by doing this, we'd avoid the conflicts between two zones using the same freeslots by them simply not using the same SOCs. For example, say Zone 1 is using Object Freeslot 1 for a Coconuts badnik, while Zone 2 uses it for a scenery object. Zone 1 would still have its badnik, while zone 2 would have its flower because they arn't connected in any way.

How it works is that each Zone has Runsoc for their zone at the start, and in between each Zone is a "intermission" act, which can be a title card or something. During this fawx-act is the "normalization" SOC, which makes every object the default, and all freestates into blank ones. Then it loads the next level with the new SOCs.

Sprites would still have to be sorted out though. Perhaps each zone could "reserve" them or something, but if we make it so SOCs are individually packed to their zones, it becomes much easier to bugfix and so-on. As for what to do during those intermission maps... well, be creative! In multiplayer, these acts would have to be the selectable ones though. Otherwise, it could be a real mess if someone warped from one act to another without normalizing the SOCs first...
That's a little too much effort for what can just be avoided by careful planning.

Well, voting is over and here are the top 7 zones.

#1 Gravity Garden
#2 Blue Lagoon + Zany Ziggurat and Cloudy Domain + Heavenly Tower
#3 Haunted House and Steam Engine
#4 Cryonic City + Frost Factory
#5 Honeyhive

Now that this is going ahead, I'll open up two threads in editing. One submission thread for where people can submit their work, and a discussion thread where people can give their feedback and discuss the project in general.

Hehe, precisely the seven zones I voted for.

So now that the zones have been decided, we need to settle on names for "Blue Lagoon/Zany Ziggurat", "Cloudy Domain/Heavenly Tower" and "Cryonic City/Frost Factory". We also need a zone order so that the mappers know approximately how difficult their level should be.

Last edited:
Level difficulty can also be modified later; I would suggest letting the mappers just choose whatever difficulty they felt like and then basing the zone order on the levels' base difficulty. After that, the acts can be revised to bring them in line with the other levels in that zone and to spread the zone difficulty curve more evenly. After all, for most of its development ERZ2 held a difficulty of around a fourth zone, then we cranked it up later on.

If you know what specific things made SRB2&K crash, tell us, so we can avoid those if at all possible.

Look for people who know what they're doing, and distribute the work properly. Do your best to keep the rest of the team encouraged, and HELP the ones who need it... Don't let anyone get stuck with anything, that really sucks and throws oneself's hopes away pretty quickly when you don't know how to continue.

SRB2&K didn't crash in the first place. It just never took off. Just make sure the people you're going to work with REALLY cares about the project and isn't just like "lol I work on this amazing" yet they do nothing.

You aware that when water and lava come in contact, the water evaporates and the lava cools off, right? I mean, I know that SRB2's "lava" is really stupid and I know that video games link to take artistic license with such things, but I can't think of any way to make that not come across as totally nonsensical.

Fire underwater
http://youtu.be/hVyOLQz1XUo?t=2m48s ?

Fishes coming out of lava
http://youtu.be/hVyOLQz1XUo?t=50s

Everything in Sonic Colours

Never running out of breath in space while drowning underwater

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back