Mystic Realm v.4.5 (scr_mysticrealm.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Earned the spot" Zap? Did you not notice it said "MOVED" on the topic's name? Apperantly they moved it from the HoF.

I did...? How so? He talks about the fact he loves how Mystic Realm earned a spot in the HoF... Or maybe my English is more suckish than I think...?

I did...? How so? He talks about the fact he loves how Mystic Realm earned a spot in the HoF... Or maybe my English is more suckish than I think...?
He did. It's just that Mystic Realm is in the HoF. It shows a "Moved" right in front of the title when you look in "Releases-Levels" because it was moved into the Hall of Fame, not out of it.

Wow, now I know why so many users seem to like Mystic Realm. Thanks for the V2.0 port.

Now, as much as I like Mystic Realm overall, I do have a few details.

1. Animal Placement:
The egg prison - or whatever you are supposed to call the cage with animals that appear after defeating Eggman, sometimes appear in precarious places. In Tempest Valley, you are releasing the animals to have them die in the toxic poison, and in Flame Riff, you have them jumping straight into the lava. :-O Kinda disturbing... I have to note that I have a similar gripe with SRB2's Deep Sea Zone, where you destroy badniks and release non-aquatic creatures underwater. They are drowning!

2.Difficulty:
I get that playing Mystic Realm requires experience playing SRB2, and as such Mystic Realm is supposed to be harder, but sometimes the difficulty borders on annoying. Two examples:

2a. Too many areas look the same. Getting lost in a maze-like level can slide by on one zone, but when all of the zones are that repetitive, it brings frustration to the beginners and boredom to the experienced players.
2b. Sometimes there are WAY TOO MANY badniks. This leads to constant spin dashes (with their accompanying noise) to avoid the excess of mosquitoes in Midnight Freeze. And another poster already mentioned the frustration of gasping for an air bubble in Sunken Plant, while having a whole bunch of skimmers and some pop up turrets shooting at you. The JettySyns are annoying too, but in Aerial Garden there are bigger things to worry about... bottomless pits galore.

3. Music:
I find it polarizing, though I know this is a matter of personal taste. I found some tracks that I absolutely love and them some that make me wish there was a switch to turn off the music and play the zone acapella.

3a. I really like the track for Jade Coast Zone. I find it's a better "Sonic's first zone" track than GFZ1 in SRB2 (I do like GFZ2 though.)
3b. Tempest Valley = meh.
3c. Verdant Forest and all zones after Aerial Garden = where's the mute switch?
3d. Flame Riff = cool++ Also, am I hallucinating or did The Weather Channel (USA) use this track for one of their promos?
3e. Midnight Freeze = THIS TRACK IS STUCK IN MY HEAD!!!! :) Does anyone have a link to OGG or MP3 for the acoustic version of the song? I only have the freestyle dance version (the one that plays for SRB2's MAP17) but not for the version playing now in MR's Midnight Freeze. I'd love to have both.
3f. Sunken Plant = Oh, the irony! How you guys managed to match such a relaxed tune to such a hectic zone, and made it work, is beyond me. Kudos for that!
3g. Aerial Garden = Nice tracks for that (you're getting closer to the end) feel.
3h. Boss music = cool.

Last edited:
The soundtrack I downloaded contains only the dance version, not the acoustic one. Was it updated recently?

Well, the original version of Midnight Freeze's music was for some reason replaced by that other version back when 2.0 was released. The reason why you can hear the original in this 2.0 port of Mystic Realm is because it was added as custom music. =/

...so if you want to listen to it outside of SRB2, you'd have to open the wad up in XWE/SLADE 3, and save it to where you want.

Last edited:
Well, the original version of Midnight Freeze's music was for some reason replaced by that other version back when 2.0 was released. The reason why you can hear the original in this 2.0 port of Mystic Realm is because it was added as custom music. =/

...so if you want to listen to it outside of SRB2, you'd have to open the wad up XWE/SLADE 3, and save it to where you want.
Got it now. Thanks!

[16:45] <MrMystery> incidentally, lord, vulcan forge is even more broken than i'd realized in MR 4.5
[16:46] <MrMystery> at the last two star posts, there are crawla commanders that will kill you from behind in seconds if you don't act immedeately
[16:46] <Chase> It's like a QTE
[16:46] <Chase> PUSH SOMETHING OR DIE
[16:46] <MrMystery> yeah except you cannot see what it is that will kill you if you don't know it's there :p
[16:47] <Chase> QTE without the button onscreen

This in addition to the aforementioned broken rising lava room with three lava FOFs for whatever reason.

Quite retarded-ly too. The guy kept going backwards-- but then again, I don't blame him. Anyone who has played the entire mod for the first time at least went backwards once.

Unless he's purposelessly getting lost on purpose.
(C wut i did thair?)

Last edited:
I must say, this is the best mod I've seen so far. I have noticed a glitch though.
If you have unlocked secrets in mystic realm and pandora's box on normal, you can go to secrets and level select, back out, and wind up in SRB2's secrets, giving access to pandora's box (i actually used this to change gravity to get JCZ 1's sonic emblem after literally hours of failed crawla bouncing). Even with that, though, this pack is epic. I recommend this to anyone and everyone.

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

Guys, this is a topic about Mystic Realm, not about the flaws in Tortured Planet. Discuss TP in its own thread.

As for Mystic Realm, I personally think it's flawed in several areas, but the bad parts of the pack (Verdant Forest, Flame Rift) aren't so bad as to ruin the rest of the pack, and the good parts are actually still fun today, IMO.

I actually like flame rift. it was a good breather level before the annoyance of those little bug bots in MFZ (especially SCZ), SPZ (once again, especially NCZ), and, of course, AGZ. But not only that, but the level was fun, and the boss wasn't frustrating like AGZ4 or FRZ3 in the Archives.

And Verdant Forest, I gotta admit, I agree with you there.

Well, the download link won't suddenly disappear, so that would be a yes. If you mean "will it be ported to 2.1?", I guess so. I don't know if Mystic is planning to port it himself, but if not, I assume somebody is going to do it for him like what happened for the 2.0 port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back