• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Maptosvg - Make walkthrough maps! 6/16/07 - Beta 2.1 v0.51

Status
Not open for further replies.
As you're well aware, I've had problems with this in the past. Well, I followed your recommendation to delete the layer in the SVG with the incorrect graphic. Guess what happened? Another issue layer! I deleted that. Black layer! :D But, despite the issues with my map, it's generally a useful tool.

The way I determined it, the bugs about PNG saving, misplaced Thing placeholders, black layers (thanks, DW!), etc. actually all have to do with major bugs dealing with SRB2 graphics not being available. Basically, if you don't rip SRB2 graphics to PNG for this program's use, the program is as good as not working. This has been fixed.

I believe I can also deal with the bug of Maptosvg simply not running on some peoples' machines. I believe this has to do with the framework (PHP, PHP-GTK2, and GTK+) builds. They've been swapped for Beta 2.1 v0.51 using builds in which I have more confidence in.

Actually, Beta 2.1 v0.51 -- a major bugfix release -- is more or less complete. PNG saving should work without qualms now and the program should work a lot better when SRB2 graphics aren't available. The only thing is that I discovered a new method I can use to save to PNG (and even preview the map within the program!) I can't get it to work right now, though, so I'm waiting for a support forum to get back to me, if they will. :)

(DW: Are you using a more current version of your map? Send me a PM. I find the ongoing issue behind your map pretty interesting.)

Hmm... how about automatic removal of outer control sectors (such as for FOFs)? They do look a bit messy left in there like that. Also, how about an option for putting numbered bullets on warps? That'd work pretty well for maps like Labyrinth Woods Zone. And what about removing the outlines on sectors that share the same floor height? Those flower sectors in Meadow Match Zone look a bit odd with the outlines on them. Or better yet, have lines on stair sectors be thinner than on other sectors? It'd help distinguish what's a wall and what isn't.

If you can, please add support for using Srb2's main IWAD, it's very annoying when you don't have programs that can convert multiple files from bmp to png, so I have to use paint to save them into the the right format, one.........by........one...... :cry:

Look at I was able to do!

map99_inprogram.png

What does this mean?
* Viewing the map directly in the program
* No more rsvg-convert.exe
* Muchmuchmuch faster PNG saving!

Question: how important is viewing a preview of the map within the program? 'cause I can release v0.51 much more quickly if I skipped implementing that. The new method of PNG saving will still be implemented, in any event.

Digiku said:
Question: how important is viewing a preview of the map within the program? 'cause I can release v0.51 much more quickly if I skipped implementing that. The new method of PNG saving will still be implemented, in any event.
not very important, without the preview, it helps in doing batches of map.

Indeed. It may be a good idea for future releases, but it really shouldn't be top-priority as it stands.

This is great, and very organized. This can be very useful! Thanks!

I know this is still in its beta state, but I've encountered a problem in the program when I try to save the .svg as a .png file. Everytime when I first check the "Draw Flats" button, and then wait until the program finishes, then view the SVG, then save it as a PNG file, the Microsoft Error pops up: "rsvg-convert.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." That only happens when I check that "Draw Flats" button, and if I don't, it works fine. In the MAPS folder, I have all the textures from srb2.srb saved into a PNG file. It seems that the program is not reading it properly or something... The same effect still continues when there is no textures in the MAPS folder. Does anyone know the problem?

123 Runite: Thanks for the kind words. :) The issues you mentioned were actually among the major bugs v0.5 had. What happens is that the generated map makes references to images that don't exist, so the PNG saver freaks out at that. The reason this occurs has to do with the SRB2 graphics not being present. Actually, with your setup, I'm thinking that it's because the _Thing_ graphics were absent (since you made no mention of those.) This and related issues are fixed in v0.51.

Dashfox: Do a Google search on "Irfanview". It's a graphics program that can do batch conversions. Also, I tried implementing IWAD support, but converting the graphics took such a long time (not to mention it was broken) that I gave up on it. Special Stage 1 with incomplete IWAD support took 65 seconds; otherwise, it takes 0.75 seconds. :)

Zanyhead: Good idea. Unfortunately, I hard-coded PNG resources into the program so extensively that I just didn't want to make it part of v0.51's scope. Next version!

Logan: Maptosvg has a command line mode. Pass the /? argument through maptosvg.exe.bat for more information!

=====================

Maptosvg Beta 2.1 v0.51 is now released. It's a major bugfix followup release to Beta 2 v0.5.

Download: http://digiku.freepgs.com/maptosvg/maptosvg_b2.1_v0.51.zip (11.00MB)

Important bullet points:
  • Major bugs relating to the SRB2 graphics not present and PNG saving failing have been fixed.
  • New PNG saving method implemented. PNG saving is enabled by default now.
  • Framework binaries were switched. Those who couldn't run Maptosvg (i.e. the program window doesn't pop up at all) before may be able to run it now. This isn't tested; somebody can give feedback on this.
Read the first post for more information.

Thanks DIGIKU for the program, Irfanview. I think that was the first step for my problem, putting in all the graphics. It WORKS now. This will be very useful for everybody! I can't wait for the final release. I think this should be STICKIED, maybe. =P

Awesome programming here. Unfortunately it has only limited use to me as I'm unable to rip any graphics from the SRB2 iwad. For that matter, I can't even view any of the lumps in the iwad using any wad editor.

Hmm, I've just encountered a previous bug in the program. I wanted to MAP Metal Flower, the really BIG map. After about more than 30-40 minutes, close to an hour, when the program was making the sector shapes, it froze, and then just automatically closed itself. I guess really REALLY big maps are not "compatible" yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back