• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Why do we still use XWE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digiku

XWE is still widely used, isn't it? I stopped using XWE a long time ago. It's buggy as hell, but I'm interested to know: what features in XWE bring you back? What do other lump editors not have that XWE does?

I'm gauging interest in an "SRB2 SLumpEd" fork, much in the vein of SRB2 Doom Builder. SLumpEd is seriously solid. It lacks in features, but its framework is really well thought-out. Wouldn't it be nice if we added some SRB2-specific features to SLumpEd?

I use XWE because thats the first lump editor I found when I started editing.

Apparently I need to go take a look at SLumpEd one of these days.

If SLumpEd isn't open source, nothing can be done. (but yeah, it's totally better than XWE except for the lack of features)

XWE just combines many lump editors into one. I would be using DeePsea, if XWE didn't had non-autocapitalizing, instant edit and save (like sprites, aligning, or renaming) and low filesize. The current XWE also comes with an Undo, so it's even better for me.

I use XWE for graphics, particularly flats. I've got some 128 x 128 flats, but saving them as Doom Flats makes them unable to be read in SLumpEd. On the other hand, XWE has a tendancy to butcher map headers and the like, so I use SLumpEd when I'm moving maps around and adding socs.

Also, not like it matters, SLumpEd fails at previewing maps. :(

Well I use XWE usually for character because of no auto caps. I use SlumpED for modding.

BlueZero4 said:
I've got some 128 x 128 flats, but saving them as Doom Flats makes them unable to be read in SLumpEd.

Try converting the flat to doom gfx first then convert to doom flats.

I use SlumpEd for pretty much every lump editing needs. I love that it doesn't automatically save crappy mistakes.

XWE is pretty handy, I use it for everything but level designing, it was my first lump editor. I like it's interface, so I don't think I'll be confortable switching to SLumpEd even if it has more features.

I use XWE because I see no reason not to. Everyone seems hell-bent on telling me that it's buggy and all, but it's never given me any lip- what am I doing right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back