[Open Assets] Sonic with RPG-styled level-up ability ---Update #1---

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Igor47

Ah , still learning LUA :P
Hi everyone.
I'm newbie in LUA , so i tried to code my first ever LUA script.
So , the idea of this script is make an level-up and power gaining system:
More score = higher level = more powers !!!
The example character , SonicRE , have 11 levels :
Level 1/Score=0 : Nothing . He cant even do spin-jump or spindash.Speed is decreased.;
Level 2/Score=25600 : Sonic can do spin-jump , and he can spindash hardly...;
Level 3/Score=51200 : Sonic can run at his normal speed !!!;
Level 4/Score=76800 : Sonic can thok lightly. ;
Level 5/Score=102400 : Sonic can spindash at his normal speed !!!;
Level 6/Score=128000 : Sonic can stomp !!!;
Level 7/Score=153600 : Sonic can thok stronger !!!;
Level 8/Score=179200 : Sonic can double-jump by pressing Toss flag !!!.
Level 9/Score=179200 : Sonic can do homing attack !!!.
Level 10/Score=179200 : Sonic can run on water (Without pressing any key ) !!!
Level 11/Score=179200 : Sonic can boost !!! .
Finally , i made a little update :
-You can see your level bellow rings , no infinite lives anymore .
-Added some more powers and levels , which are listed above .
Download bellow:

Attachments

• srb2-levelup example.gif
    srb2-levelup example.gif
    7.3 MB · Views: 3,031
  • Sonic-RPG.rar
    103.3 KB · Views: 2,287
Last edited:
<SpiritCrusher> Sryder13: IIRC that submission was good to go

This can be released now you have a screenshot uploaded. Welcome to releases.
Moved to Miscellaneous because the "point" of this seems to be the script rather than the character.

Last edited:
For your first Lua that looks cool! Keep going that way and you maybe can do something like hyper sonic or whatever!

So i played around with this lua and i think that its a great system, but could the boost be a bit faster? i also suggest lowering the scores needed by just a little as well. I was on deep sea zone and was on level 3 barely. fix this and great addon.

It's actually incredibly easy to get a headstart just by speedrunning GFZ. With a timebonus of 100000 and another for 50000, then a guard bonus for 10000, you can reach level 7 by the time you get to THZ1.

The concept reminds me of the scraped JTE system that he stopped working on, your wad is good however there's a wad similar with all of modern sonics traits, also I know it's taboo (from what I can tell) to let your charters go super outside of match or CTF, but I was wondering if you could do something like make super sonic be able to fly or turn semisuper without the emeralds, and with the emeralds he could fly and do other cool stuff.

So i played around with this lua and i think that its a great system, but could the boost be a bit faster? i also suggest lowering the scores needed by just a little as well. I was on deep sea zone and was on level 3 barely. fix this and great addon.

I'm not sure that this is a good idea to lower the scores , because :
It's actually incredibly easy to get a headstart just by speedrunning GFZ. With a timebonus of 100000 and another for 50000, then a guard bonus for 10000, you can reach level 7 by the time you get to THZ1.

Well, it's not your fault, the game's scoring system is a bit lopsided. Trying to make a balanced exp system out of it isn't going to work out very well, by nature.

What I would do is create a totally separate exp function that works off of enemies killed and rings collected, rather than the points system itself. That will make scaling easier and make it so players can't cheese the time bonus to instantly become super-powered.

Well, it's not your fault, the game's scoring system is a bit lopsided. Trying to make a balanced exp system out of it isn't going to work out very well, by nature.

What I would do is create a totally separate exp function that works off of enemies killed and rings collected, rather than the points system itself. That will make scaling easier and make it so players can't cheese the time bonus to instantly become super-powered.

For experience thingy i should make another variable , that will act like exp ...
But , the problem is that , that you can't save your experience - after you complete the
level , or re-enter the game , you'll have to gain all your exp again ...
Thats why i used score as experience.

For experience thingy i should make another variable , that will act like exp ...
But , the problem is that , that you can't save your experience - after you complete the

Hm, I'm not too sure about that.. I know that Greeneyes' "HEAT" meter does retain it's value between levels. I'm not sure if it gets kept on reload of a save.. but definitely between levels.

Could you not have the current values save to a different file, or something?

I want a superform, I had to use the turnsuper.lua there weren't even any transformation sprites that let's you use your superforms from CTF and match in single player, (why hasn't that been relesed yet? you guys are way to overprotective of your superforms)

Help?

You can if you want it, but then you couldn't release it without permission.
Just go change some values.

Can you help give me Tails' values and some suggestions? Also do you think I should use the original Tails, and if not, can you send me a Tails character WAD?

Last edited:

mm, that is a pickle. I'm not sure if SRB2 has any functions that allows you to save custom variables.

Tails RPG?

I've thinking about these levels for Tails.

Level 1/Score=0 : Nothing. He cant even do spin-jump or spindash. Speed is decreased;
Level 2/Score=25600 : Tails can do spin-jump, and he can spindash hardly;
Level 3/Score=51200 : Tails can run at his normal speed;
Level 4/Score=76800 : Tails can fly;
Level 5/Score=102400 : Tails can spindash at his normal speed;
Level 6/Score=128000 : Tails can stomp;
Level 7/Score=153600 : Tails can run on water (Without pressing any key);
Level 8/Score=179200 : Tails can boost.

What do you think? Also I think SonicRE should be given a light dash for a level.

Last edited:
Could you make it that Rings add to the score during the levels?
I find myself usually going for them and eluding the speed run option.
Maybe 10 or 100 points per ring?
Apart from that, Great job!

Could you make it that Rings add to the score during the levels?
I find myself usually going for them and eluding the speed run option.
Maybe 10 or 100 points per ring?
Apart from that, Great job!

Well NiGHTS does something extremly similar when the player grabs a ring. It probably won't be that hard to pull off.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back