Question about MD2 files

Status
Not open for further replies.
First I would like to say hi because I had just joined the SRB2 forums and would like to see many new things to this great game. Secondly, I have downloaded JeckJim's modern characters pack and am wondering, since I have never had experience with anything about SRB2 other then playing the game, how I could use these characters I have downloaded. More specificly the characters I am talking about are either Sonic, Silver, or Shadow.

Hello Mandalorian, and welcome to the SRB2MB! First of all, I'd like to direct you to the introductions topic. If you're aiming to just make yourself known, that's the place to do it.

As for your question about how to use the downloaded models from Jeck Jims' MD2 pack, the description of the add-on includes a download for an md2.dat that includes the entries for the different models in the pack(PLAY is the entry for player, which covers sonic, shadow, and silver), and link to the MD2 setup tutorial from the SRB2 wiki.

For future reference, if you have a question you should try searching the SRB2 wiki and the help or editing help forums for the information you need before making a topic or post asking for help. If after you've searched and failed to find any answers the question is specifically about an add-on, the question should be asked in the add-on's topic.

Last edited:
Hello Mandalorian, and welcome to the SRB2MB! First of all, I'd like to direct you to the introductions topic. If you're aiming to just make yourself known, that's the place to do it.

As for your question about how to use the downloaded models from Jeck Jims' MD2 pack, the description of the add-on includes a download for an md2.dat that includes the entries for the different models in the pack(PLAY is the entry for player, which covers sonic, shadow, and silver), and link to the MD2 setup tutorial from the SRB2 wiki.

For future reference, if you have a question you should try searching the SRB2 wiki and the help or editing help forums for the information you need before making a topic or post asking for help. If after you've searched and failed to find any answers the question is specifically about an add-on, the question should be asked in the add-on's topic.

Thanks, and I had not understood one part of those instructions, the ones that told me to "open SRB2 in OpenGL". I do not know what it means I should do. I have tried searching on the wiki like your last paragraph had instructed me to do if I more questions but all I recived were information on what it is.

Thanks, and I had not understood one part of those instructions, the ones that told me to "open SRB2 in OpenGL". I do not know what it means I should do. I have tried searching on the wiki like your last paragraph had instructed me to do if I more questions but all I recived were information on what it is.
OpenGL is one of two renderers that SRB2 may use; by default, it uses the software renderer, but you can tell it to use OpenGL in a couple of different ways:

1: Use a launcher. Most SRB2 launchers include a checkbox to run SRB2 in openGL. While this one is rather outdated and has a bunch of quirks to it, srb2net.exe will get the job done; you'll find the checkbox in the "main options" section. Put it in your SRB2 folder before using it.

2: Make a ".bat" file. Make a text file with the following contents:
Code:
srb2win.exe -opengl
Save the file, and change the extension from "txt" to "bat", and place it in your SRB2 folder. This can now be used as a shortcut to open SRB2 in openGL mode. If you want to open a different version this way, just replace "srb2win.exe" in the bat file with the name of the exe.

3: Use the command line. Open up a command prompt window(In Windows XP you can find it in All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt), navigate to your SRB2 folder(The command is "cd [folder]". Note that you have to enter the entire path, not just the name of the folder itself), and type in "srb2win.exe -opengl". You probably don't want to do it this way since it's harder than the other methods and involves using a tool that can mess a lot of stuff up if you aren't careful, but figured I'd mention it for completion's sake.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back