i need help with md2 models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, although I am not an OpenGL user, I believe the directions are as follows (this is purely from memory, so I may be wrong):

Each MD2 model has one of these kinds of lines given with their release:

Code:
PLAY.MD2 PLAY 3.0 0.0

Check and see what that line is. Add the given line to a file called md2.dat that you open in Notepad. If there is no md2.dat, create a new one. Then, when in console, type GR_MD2 ON, and they should be loaded.

1st, open the game in OPENGL

Then, use the Command after Pressing the '~' Key (` on UK) and type "GR_MD2 ?" (? meaning either Test or 1, considering on what the MD2 download thread says"

Example, The sonic MD2 says...
New Sonic Model said:
Directions:
1. Unzip in your MD2 folder, if you do not have one create one in your srb2 folder.
2. Add the line "PLAY PLAY.MD2 3.0 0.0" without quotes to your md2.dat in your srb2 directory with a text editor.
3. Start a game of srb2 and hit the tilde key ~ then type in GR_MD2 1
4. Enjoy!

Follow that, and it should be easy...

I'm not sure myself how to open OPENGL in-game myself, but I use the SRB2Net Launcher.

Hope this helped.

You can't open OpenGL in-game. You either have to run it by command line, batch file, or the launcher.

@speeddemon: Well, ever heard of this? It's done via MS-DOS command prompt:

Code:
C:\SRB2>copy con md2.dat
PLAY PLAY.MD2 3.0 0.0
^Z (that means you pressed Control-Z)

1 file(s) copied
13,379,000 bytes free

Step 1: Download The SRB2Net Launcher from www.srb2.org

Step 2: Extract into the SRB2 Folder

Step 3: Download the MD2 File

Step 4: open MD2.dat (Mine was named RMD2.dat) in notepad, and add the line you need, with the Sonic Model it's "Play Play.MD2 3.0 0.0" (W/O Quotemarks)

Step 5: Run the Launcher, Go to Main Options and Check the OpenGL box and click the Run button at the bottom

Step 6: Type GR_MD2 1 into the console

You now then have 3D sonic

Use Notepad or MS-DOS Command Prompt. In Notepad, you save file as md2.dat (make SURE to click "All Files" in the drop down box; otherwise, you'll get md2.dat.txt, which is bad.) With MS-DOS command prompt, see three posts above.

If you can't get that, then the only way we can show you is by video, and that's a little annoying to do over the Internet.

Make sure that the MD2 and PNG files of the character you want to play are named PLAY or it wont show up

speeddemon said:
well that will be hard to do then cause I have windows 98

Not really. You can still get an old graphic card that has Windows 98 drivers for it and it supports OpenGL quite well.

speeddemon said:
well that will be hard to do then cause I have windows 98
Wrong. Recently, (after optimizing my dlls) I've been able to do a lot on a crappy '98.
Okay, to make the models work, first you must make the folder called MD2 in your main SRB2 folder. Next, go download the models you want. Here's the basic Sonic model.
Okay, extract these files into the folder you just created (MD2). It should be PLAY.md2 (the model) & PLAY.png (the skin picture). Open notepad. Place this code in it:
Code:
PLAY PLAY.MD2 3.0 0.0
Here's the meaning of this code.
PLAY is the name of the sprite you wnat to replace, in this case, PLAY.
PLAY.MD2 is the MD2 model file. The model and skin must have the same file name (in this case, they are both PLAY).
3.0 is the model size. Pretty self-explanatory, sets the size.
0.0 is the X offset. Changing this will slide the model left or right. This is usually 0.0.

Okay, once you have that in notepad, save it as MD2.dat in your SRB2 folder. Make sure it doesn't save as a text file. Noe, run SRB2 in Open GL mode. You can run THIS FILE from your SRB2 file to do this. Once the game is running and is in Open GL mode, type GR_MD2 1 in the console.

um..... i have a question where does the md2 model show up? and i did this on my moms computer (really high tech) and it still didn't work! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back