Minecraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the fact that, you as a character literally start off with nothing and are dumped into this world that, gradually, will allow you to basically create anything that you want, whether that be a palace the size of Versailles, complicated machines, music players, rail systems, huge sprites and paintings, etc. etc. There's a great sense of progress in the game.

The two things I don't like about the game right now is that there's little to do in the Nether (although some players recently announced work on a mod that would remedy this), and, on a much more personal level, I hate, hate, hate the hostile mobs. My combined fears of the dark and surprises (even simulated dark and surprises!) prevent me from exploring an apparently huge cavern currently sealed up at the foot of my primary mining shaft... Maybe after I get more iron armor...

Regarding the graphics... I'm fine with the pixellation, but I wish the models were a tad more intricate... Maybe to the level Rana was before she was pulled from the game.

Last edited:
I know, but then there's the fact that a few resources can only be dropped by hostile mobs. That and I don't want to feel like a total wimp (I play on Easy mode).

I hate, hate, hate the hostile mobs. My combined fears of the dark and surprises (even simulated dark and surprises!) prevent me from exploring an apparently huge cavern currently sealed up at the foot of my primary mining shaft
That'sss a very niccceeee mineshaft you have there...SSSsssss

Minecraft does NOT have bad graphics. Minecraft's graphics are actually pretty good. It's all about the visual style, and all the blockiness is entirely intentional, and the whole thing together gives the game an immense charm that photo-realistic graphics simply can't provide, and despite the simple blocky look, you still get to see beauty in its simplest form.

63559_489111949712_633369712_5966301_3875332_n.jpg

It's really quite incredible.

I think the reason people don't like it's graphics is just because of the blocks. Plain and simple. Well, for a game that has blocky visuals, they sure did a pretty damn good job at making it look good, see above post.

Also, there's always the custom HD texture packs that you can download. They're a lot more simple to add into the game, now that it supports custom texture packs. They make the game look a lot more detailed than normal, and it makes the game feel refreshing to play.

Also, if you haven't played Minecraft Beta before, I highly recommend trying the demo PC Gamer uploaded on their site:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/04/19/download-the-minecraft-demo/

It allows you to play for up to 90 minutes, by the way.

The game really just offers an experience quite unlike any other game out there. It's more introspective and passively "fun", than explosive and in your face (like modern games). The atmosphere ranges from tranquil to terrifying, but it's hardly ever "fast-paced". Instead, it sucks you in slowly, and before you know it, you're completely immersed in this beautiful blocky world. You don't understand what it's like until you're watching the sunset from the tower of the castle you built yourself, or mined through a block of stone to discover a massive cave on the other side.

This video review of the game sums it up quite nicely:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/2680-Minecraft

Never base your Minecraft experience on the classic version, it's balls. Play on a survival server.

Also, for the love of God don't play at 3AM after the next update. One word... Endermen.

Minecraft does NOT have bad graphics. Minecraft's graphics are actually pretty good. It's all about the visual style, and all the blockiness is entirely intentional, and the whole thing together gives the game an immense charm that photo-realistic graphics simply can't provide, and despite the simple blocky look, you still get to see beauty in its simplest form.

It's really quite incredible.
Agreed 100%. These are my exact same thoughts. I really love the Minecraft graphics. They just work so well, and look great too.

I've used to be really into minecraft, then I've realized that it's actually kind of boring. Build houses, dig into the ground and find materials so you can build more houses and get better tools so you can dig into the ground even better. It's just a lot of tedium.

Agreed. It just seems very boring and pointless, like you're doing all of this time-consuming stuff just so you can make it less time-consuming, even though in many other games it isn't time-consuming in the first-place.

Also, for the love of God don't play at 3AM after the next update. One word... Endermen.
I really need to check when's your 3AM for me then. The idea of them moving EVERY block seems stupid. If they at least could program it so... They only move blocks NOT placed by the player, and anything that contacts around them 1 block away ('cause when you build a house, you may want to use the terrain as a wall to save blocks.). I don't wanna just mind my own business in my house, then suddenly get my wall removed and get stared by... THAT. Hurr....
Also: Weee

Excuse me, I've not played Minecraft. I take it that these are Endermen?

endermen.jpg

Geez, not only did the name sound like it was missing two letters they even look like they deserve the name Slendermen.

Makes me wonder why people find Creepers that much scarier than these guys. Besides the blowing up all of your assets thing.

MC is okay. I might purchase it if 1.8's Adventure Mode looks good.

Probably old, but I don't follow MC closely. A friend said putting on a pumpkin will keep Endermen from attacking you, even if you look directly at them with your cross hairs. Imagine living among the Endermen....

Excuse me, I've not played Minecraft. I take it that these are Endermen?

(snip)

Geez, not only did the name sound like it was missing two letters they even look like they deserve the name Slendermen.

Makes me wonder why people find Creepers that much scarier than these guys. Besides the blowing up all of your assets thing.

Yeah, the Endermen are coming up in the next update, which includes a bunch of new stuff in Minecraft.

I think people (including me) find creepers scary when they sneak up behind you and they suddenly explode. The fact that creepers are completely silent when they move makes the explosion even less unexpected.

I remember seeing Minecraft during its Alpha stage. (But I played Classic as it was free IIRC) I tried it and I didn't have that much fun. Breaking blocks "for fun" wasn't what I expected so I skipped it. I wasn't ready to pay 13 dollars for this type of game.

After Minecraft Beta came out, the popularity was even bigger then before. Everyone at school knew about this game and so did my little brothers. Just a couple weeks ago, my brother bought the game. (..Should of bought at Alpha! Could of saved some money. I could have even bought the game for both of us so we could both go online!) It was much different then the Classic edition, more of a game now. I could build, craft, store items, find dungeons, and fight zombies. It was fun building a house and mining minerals just so I could make weapons and defend myself. I haven't tried multiplayer yet but I might try it some time in the future. Multiplayer is another way of extending the replayability of the game. Group building/mining anyone?

It is best to buy it now as the price will increase again in the future when the official release happens. If you don't want to fork over money, then you might want to wait a couple years when they make it free. (Notch said he would make it Open-Source when the sales die down. Not sure about a couple but you're probably going to have to wait for a while.)

The Endermen make me want this game even more, just for that kinda fear that they can AND will get to you when they are angry. I think it is funny how they kind of act like the weeping angels from Dr. Who, where they stay still if you look at them, but then start rapidly traveling closer to you to get you, and how all of it can be completely avoided by wearing a pumpkin on your head.

Tee hee, I bought it during alpha. So anyways, I can't wait to see what the endermen can actually do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back