Suggestions

An idea for a CTF level:
Scrambled Sector:
A strange space-themed level where the 2 bases and space in between are not symetrical at ALL. The two bases have completely different layouts, and the land between is loaded with weapon rings and it's very large. It can go last.
You do realize there's not much stopping you from making this yourself, right

A strange space-themed level where the 2 bases and space in between are not symetrical at ALL. The two bases have completely different layouts, and the land between is loaded with weapon rings and it's very large. It can go last.

That idea (IMO) just doesn't work. The whole idea of having CTF levels with perfect symmetry is to ensure neither base design has a advantage over the other (harder to reach flag, more available weapons, more traps).

Asymmetrical stages can work, it's just that even if they are perfectly balanced (which is near impossible to do, I might add), the losing team might feel cheated because they might think that the reason they're losing is that the map's unbalanced.

Possible, but it's not worth the effort in the slightest.

I also think that asymmetrical CTF maps are an interesting idea. Balancing the teams is probably quite hard, but also doesn't even need to be completely perfect, I would say. Other asymmetrical issues like control lag are already taking away the perfect balance. Also, the three main characters are not perfectly balanced, too - recent changes to the maps aim to fix this somehow, but it will never be perfect.

One could even think of weird setups like "Team Red with an arsenal of weapon rings and team-only random monitors* vs. Team Blue, almost ring- and weaponless but with a nearly unreachable flag - Choose your destiny"

What about creating an official contest for nicely balanced asymmetrical CTF maps? The results might actually be worth playing - there probably just needs to be a motivation to create such a map.

* Edit: I just remembered that team-only random monitors do not exist. However, the only random monitors on the map could be placed near the red team respawn point.

Last edited:
I thought about having some sort of "survival" or "arena" (or "last man standing") gamemode, where it's your normal match fight but if you die, you don't respawn, and the winner is the last player that didn't die, more like "last man standing". And also you don't score points, see below.

To make the gamemode a bit less boring for everyone (once someone dies they are forced to watch people but they're unable to play!), a timer would start counting from 5 minutes since the start of the round, then when that countdown reaches 0 all players that haven't died will start losing rings at a rate of 1 per second, until someone with 0 rings dies because 0 - 1 = -1.
If after a minute from the ring loss stage nobody dies, then the number of rings being lost per second is doubled and doubled until everyone dies.

Then, once one player is left, after a few seconds that player is awarded some points (based on how much people he killed, how fast the round went, (if applicable) how much time did he survive on the ring loss stage, possibly other stuff) then everyone is respawned and sent to die again, starting another round on that map.

I think I can code something like that in Lua. Like affecting respawn times and setting them to HIGH values, then if one player is left let everyone be respawned.

A "nolaseranim" command; would prevent lasers from blinking rapidly, and only show either as solid or 50% transuclency. The purpose is to help on slower computers, as the Genesis styled blinking effect only really works when FPS is both consistent and full. Defaults to off, or the original appearance of SRB2.

We've actually been discussing changing how lasers display altogether in 'dev. I think the last idea was that they'd flicker between 70-80% opaque and 30-40% opaque. The current blink is an eyesore, anyway.

I miss when you could see the inside of the laser's FoF. It made getting a feel for depth so much easier.

Techno Hill Zone buoyancy sludge suggestion re Knuckles and his climbing ability.

63dTIk9.png

("full control" in the last panel excludes movement back down into the goop)

I'd prefer it if Knuckles could climb down walls unconditionally. Increases his exploration options.

I'd prefer it if Knuckles could climb down walls unconditionally. Increases his exploration options.

Hide and seek pro, hide just above your enemy, find emblems on 0.1 plus 5 minus 2 multiplied by 0 on extra high ceilings (DSZ pun), experience the upside down camera mode that 2.2 brings as a new feature with Knuckles....... I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about combination rings? (In match and ctf)

Bomb + Rail = MlgSniper (LightSBomb)
Rail + Scatter = PentaR
Automatic + Bomb = A-Bomb
Bomb + Bounce = 3TBomb (When you throw this C-ring, bomb is bouncing 3 times and explodes)
Rail + Bounce = Thunder Rail

Another rings:

Ice ring (You can freeze your enemy)

More to come

Automatic + Bomb = A-Bomb

I dare you to make an enemy that uses A_TurretFire and Bomb Rings as projectiles. You will be at 1/35 FPS in the matter of second.

Else as long as the MLGSniper does pretty sounds, I totally agree with this idea.

Make the objecttype parameter optional for all Lua hooks where it appears. That way, for example, I can have every enemy perform a certain action upon being damaged using MobjDamage without adding a ton of hooks or resorting to doing something fancy with MobjThinker. (If there is an easy way to do that, please let me know, because I actually do need to do it.)

You could just use for loops to go through all the object types you want...

Code:
// note: NOT IMPLICITLY DEFINED
local function myFunc(mobj)
	// insert contents here
end

// specific object types method:
do
	// create a list of object types you want to apply your hook function to
	local list = {
		MT_OBJECTTYPE1,
		MT_OBJECTTYPE2,
		MT_OBJECTTYPE3} // etc...

for _,i in ipairs(list) // iterate through list of object types
		addHook("hookname", myFunc, i) // i is each object type in the list
	end
end

// specific object flags method:
do
	for i = 0,#mobjinfo-1 // iterate through object type definitions (#mobjinfo-1 because mobjinfo[#mobjinfo] does not exist in reality)
		if mobjinfo[i].flags & MF_ENEMY // is the object type a type of enemy? (for example)
			addHook("hookname", myFunc, i) // i is an object type for an enemy (obviously, I hope)
		end
	end
end

....otherwise yeah, at some point we should get to making the parameter optional.

Make the objecttype parameter optional for all Lua hooks where it appears. That way, for example, I can have every enemy perform a certain action upon being damaged using MobjDamage without adding a ton of hooks or resorting to doing something fancy with MobjThinker. (If there is an easy way to do that, please let me know, because I actually do need to do it.)

It already is. Some of the hooks just don't seem to work with it omitted though.

I think that super sonic should jump more higher. Also, make the sparkles appear rapidly like the old games.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 6, Members: 0, Guests: 6)

Back