Fixed Introducing delicious NUKEWATER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Mystery

Moderators
1. Get a nuke
2. Pop the nuke and pause simultaneously while the screen is "whited out"
3. Switch to any map with water

And anybody who was in range to see the screen flash will be treated to water like this (screenshots not completely accurate):

srb20221.png

srb20222.png

DISCLAIMER: Not intended for public consumption. Bodily contact, or even the mere creation of NUKEWATER may result in unfathomable radioactive horrors and the mental retardation of the server host. (Although the effect is pretty wild in volcano maps)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this should be added on...
srb20002.png

After nuking the water and switching levels, sectors with lighting such as this on THZ2 will be like this.

*EDIT*
Take a look at Egg Rock Zone 2 after you nuke the water, especially the Gravity Flip area.

Last edited:
Maybe it's affecting the colormaps? You should make a test wad that tries out a bunch of different effects to narrow down what is being altered by the glitch.

This definitely looks like a colormap issue to me. It's weird, though...why would this kind of thing affect the way colormaps are rendered?

Teleports, Recycler and the Armageddon flash cause the palette to temporarily switch to an alternate one, FLASHPAL.

FLASHPAL was not updated to 2.0 and remains a brightened version of the original Doom PLAYPAL. I think what we're seeing here is the first noticeable side effect. (Normally the flash is so quick, you can't really notice everything looks wrong.)

On an unrelated note, why is FLASHPAL a separate lump, and not just a subset of PLAYPAL? Instead, we're still carrying the old damage/invincibility/gravity palettes from Doom for no discernible reason.

Maybe it's affecting the colormaps? You should make a test wad that tries out a bunch of different effects to narrow down what is being altered by the glitch.

I think it only affects areas with colormaps. Because I objectplaced a nuke and did the glitch in that red pulsing area in THZ2, and the same thing happened when you do it in water.

srb20017.png

This is a colormap fog, right? As you can see... it has been corrupted by the nuke glitch. (And when the gravity flips, the area changes to a dark purple like area.)

srb20020.png

This ERZ2 laser trap also falls victim to the glitch.

srb20015x.png

The area with the end sign is in ERZ2 has a orange color map, which, of course, is glitched.

*EDIT*
srb20024.png

Yea, it only affects color maps it seems, I am in Deep Sea Zone 1, and there are some spots with no colormap, and seeing as they don't have a color map, they look fine, but yea, as you can tell, this whole room is nothing but a white void. (Unless your near the wall, where it becomes blue.)

Last edited:
This is an odd bug but I must question this.

First. You need to have cheated to be allowed to even -change- the stage. Which means you aren't exactly playing the game normally to begin with. Not only that, but why would you pause the instant you used the nuke, and then change the stage? This is a really odd glitch/bug I will agree, but the way to get it just seems really silly and kind of a waste of time to spend fixing it. I don't know, that's just me.

This is an odd bug but I must question this.

First. You need to have cheated to be allowed to even -change- the stage. Which means you aren't exactly playing the game normally to begin with.

Not exactly cheating if you do any of this...

1. Host Mutiplayer then get the Armageddon Shield in GFZ1, then nuke the water, then switch to a different map, and there ya go, glitched colormaps. Not sure if anyone who joins will see it...

2. Unlock level select, get the Armageddon Shield in GFZ1, then nuke the water, then use Level Select, and switch to a different level that has colormaps, then there ya go, glitched colormaps.

I'm sure there are more ways, such as getting lucky in Match/CTF/Race to obtain a Armageddon Shield in a map that has water that doesn't hurt you/Colormaps, which of course you need to be a Host/Admin to be allowed to switch maps.

Last edited:
Not exactly cheating if you do any of this...

1. Host Mutiplayer then get the Armageddon Shield in GFZ1, then nuke the water, then switch to a different map, and there ya go, glitched colormaps. Not sure if anyone who joins will see it...

2. Unlock level select, get the Armageddon Shield in GFZ1, then nuke the water, then use Level Select, and switch to a different level that has colormaps, then there ya go, glitched colormaps.

I'm sure there are more ways, such as getting lucky in Match/CTF/Race to obtain a Armageddon Shield in a map that has water that doesn't hurt you/Colormaps, which of course you need to be a Host/Admin to be allowed to switch maps.

My point being. I don't see anyone really wanting to deliberately wanting to do this.

... and I mean before this topic existed. Also besides this person.

Maybe there is no point to doing it. Maybe you would have to be doing it deliberately. But it's still a glitch, right?

I think the intermission screen might reset it, but it's something to test out.

EDIT: I just tried it with EXITLEVEL and it works fine.

Last edited:
This bug is already being used on rp servers. Everybody f12s the player with the nuke, and he does the stuff, and they all go to DSZ!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back