My First Ever Character .WAD: Help Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axonic

I remember wanting to make my own SRB2 Character since I was just a smol child, and now I'm trying to start creating characters by recreating the Tails Doll, but I would love some advice from others (such as readers like you) to make sure I don't get too many mistakes.

For starters, I'm picking the Tails Doll because it's a simple character. It is a slow character with weak acceleration and poor handling, it can't spindash, and unlike its living, fleshy and adorable counterpart, hit can't fly. Instead, the Tails Doll hovers in mid-air for a certain amount of time before falling to the ground at a slower speed than other characters.

I'm sure there's already a Tails Doll .WAD for SRB2 somewhere around this site, but even if I don't release it, I still want to give it a try. Besides, it's the easiest character that I can think of creating for this game.

Now, on what do I need help? Well, for starters, I need some sprites to use as a base. I was thinking about using Tails' sprites, but I don't know how to get the sprites of Vanilla objects. Secondly, I don't know how others create sprites for their own characters. Do they create each sprite individually or do they have them all in one image and then they separate them? And what are the recommended sprite sizes for characters?

I suppose I can accomplish the coding part with the help of the SRB2 Wiki, but if I need further advice, I might update this thread.

I'd also love to hear thoughts and opinions on my choice of recreating Sonic R's Tails Doll for SRB2.

P.S.: I'm not so sure if this was the right place to post this thread. It seemed like the most appropriate I.M.O. I just don't want my first thread to end up being deleted or somethin' like that.

Update: I give up.

I've loaded up the .WAD, but it crashes the game.

Here's the code in MAINCFG:

Character
PicName = CHRCDOLL
SKINNAME = tails_doll
Status = 1
PlayerText = First appearing in Sonic R, this doll was designed by Dr. Robotnik to surprise the blue blur and his pals. It has rough movement, making it challenging to controll. Unlike the real Tails, Tails Doll can't fly, but it can hover in mid-air for a certain amount of time.

And here's the code in S_SKIN:

name = tails_doll
face = DOLLLIFE
charsel = CHRTDOLL
realname = Tails_Doll
hudname = T.DOLL
normalspeed = 32
acceleration = 55
accelstart = 200
thrustfactor = 3
ability = CA_FLOAT
ability2 = CA2_NONE
startcolor = 160
prefcolor = Orange

I didn't have Vanilla Tails' sprites, so I borrowed those of TailsCD and used them as placeholders.

Of course, when I began creating this character, I wasn't thinking it'd be easy. But now I'm just here confused because I don't know why I can't even test it.

Maybe it's too soon to do so, but I just want to give up on this now. It's too much work for me.

B.T.W. despite the fact that in the PlayerText I mentioned the ability to float for a limited amount of time, I don't know how to give that ability a time limit.

Last edited:
I'm doing so as I make the .WAD.

... But I'm still in Chapter 2.

I just checked Chapter 3, and now I know of my very first mistake. Woops.

Thanks for the advice though.

Last edited:
I searched the errorlog.txt file and didn't find anything.

The log only shows me this at the very end:

Sonic Robo Blast 2 v2.1.19 (May 28 2017 12:27:09 22232832)
$addfile tails_doll.wad
NOTICE: Game must be restarted to record statistics.
Added file tails_doll.wad (204 lumps)
Loading main config from tails_doll.wad

But I don't see anything telling me about an error.

Hm, what format are the character's sprites in the WAD? They should be "Doom Gfx", the game tends to crash with any other graphic format (such as PNG). The Sprites section of the custom character creation tutorial should explain how to convert them to the correct format if that hasn't already been done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back