Halo 3: ODST

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll throw in my two cents.

The combat feels a lot more like Halo/CE, with hijacking included. It's a helluva lot easier to die even on normal. The game also makes you use your resources a bit more than the other Halo games (I'm usually having to switch out my weapons more often due to a lack of ammo).

The campaign, is really cool, it gives off a sort of "survival" feel, being stranded in the city, all by your lonesome. I only ventured into the game for about an hour so far.

The music is pretty awesome overall, I liked the little sad tune it played after I found the first beacon.

I'm going try out Firefight later and see what I think of it.

So far, I'd give this game an 8.5; far better than Halo 3 was in my opinion.

I've heard they screwed up with the health system.

If you get hit, it heals back. But you have "stamina" if you keep getting hit. You get hit forever. So only a small part of your health is regenerated. And t oheal the rest, you need to find med-packs.

(Which I heard are very rare)

Do you actually expect them to have the whole city made of health packs? there may have been many health packs, but they were either picked up by the master chief or blown apart from the space jump from halo 2, which is where this game takes place around.

My brother got a copy, so I might have to give this a run. Halo with less casual bull**** seems promising enough.

Do you actually expect them to have the whole city made of health packs? there may have been many health packs, but they were either picked up by the master chief or blown apart from the space jump from halo 2, which is where this game takes place around.

Its STILL a game. Health packs shouldn't even be on the ground. Nor should plasma swords and guns. >_>

Its STILL a game. Health packs shouldn't even be on the ground. Nor should plasma swords and guns. >_>

Your STILL playing as a human, meaning health packs are crucial to your survival. They want you to get used to playing underpowered than overpowered for the challenge.

Also I don't understand the last part of your sentence. I agree that the plasma sword should of been unusable as well, but guns not being on the ground? I like to see someone get through one level (not the first) just using a pitiful pistol and no melee.
The point of surviving these conflicts in halo are to use the most effective weapon to give yourself an advantage, being human crafted or alien. Seeing as (and this was mentioned by X-alted) that you will have a surplus of ammo that depletes quickly forcing you to switch to a side arm, I believe improvising with a plasma rifle is better than throwing your empty pistol or SMG at an enemy in hopes of giving it a concussion.

You know that those weapons probably came from dead enemies and humans. So actually, they should be on the ground. The health packs could've come from the same thing.

The health packs are at their own little kiosks. Think Half-Life. As for the plasma swords/guns, you get them off of fallen enemies.

Oh, they are?

You know that those weapons probably came from dead enemies and humans. So actually, they should be on the ground. The health packs could've come from the same thing.

Ugh, not necessary. Games don't have to use logic.(I bet Bungie would probably just say its a game instead of using logic) :<

436400cocks.png

I haven't tried it yet, but damn. I guess I won't be having any games of GTA4 with my friends for the next 3 weeks.

Ugh, not necessary. Games don't have to use logic.(I bet Bungie would probably just say its a game instead of using logic) :<

There has to be atleast some logic in a game, otherwise it would make no kind of sense at all. Look at Mario, Sonic, all the other games that have famous main characters. There is logic in those games too. No game has no logic.

That contradicts an earlier post of yours in this topic.

On the subject of the health system, it's simliar to that of the original Halo, you have an overshield (or "stamina") that regenerates after escaping fire, underneath this you have your health, which does not regenerate autmotically, to replenish the health meter you pick up health packs from medical kiosks, military outposts, fallen comrades etc.

Last edited:
Being a game doesn't instantly give a game rights to be completely illogical.
Things should at least make <i>some</i> sort of sense.

I was actually confusing the game with other games that simply have funs laying on the ground. Like quake.

"That contradicts an earlier post of yours in this topic."
Duh, that was my point lol. :<

I was actually confusing the game with other games that simply have funs laying on the ground. Like quake.

I would say, 90% of the Health Packs are in kiosks, well 10% can be found spread out on the ground. The city is practically ruined, so there's some logic on why some health packs might not be in their kiosks. Anyways, I completed the game a few days ago, and my opinion from last post still remains. I really wish we got some ODST online (besides Firefight/Co-op), instead of Halo 3's again.

The difference between Halo 3 and ODST health system is explained below.

Instead of the Chief's damage-absorbing energy shield, the game uses a stamina mechanic. After taking damage, the screen flashes red; the player regains stamina by resting. If the player receives more damage past their stamina threshold, their health takes a permanent hit. You restore permanent health via the use of medpacks scattered around the game environments.

Almost the same as the first one except now it's stamina and you need to find medpacks.

I got the game yesterday. So far I've found it exceptionally fun, it plays a lot like halo 1. You can't duel wield and so far, from what I've seen, you can't board enemy craft. You actually have to look for health, and the enemies aren't super easy to kill anymore. I haven't finished the campaign yet, but it's been really fun so far. Firefight mode is a blast, especially with friends and with the new skulls mechanic. Also, ODST doesn't have any new multiplayer aside from firefight. However, it comes packaged with a second disk containing most every Halo 3 multiplayer map in existence, which is nice for someone who doesn't have Halo 3, and only liked the multiplayer within it anyway. ;D

from what I've seen, you can't board enemy craft.
You can, but it's generally impractical unless you manage to catch them in the right context, especially if you're solo. Sometimes you're better off just shooting them out of their vehicles instead.

In hindsight though, I might've done myself a lot of good if I just disabled the engines with a Plasma Pistol charged shot instead.

and the enemies aren't super easy to kill anymore.
I personally find this a HUGE problem as far as some enemies are concerned. Enemy shields have gotten ridiculously strong to the point of rendering the majority of the weapons roster completely useless (I swear to god I used up the entiretly of my Carbine ammo to take down one bloody brute on multiple occasions) - and that's before you get to the ones which have freaking overshields that recharge in less than a second after they've drained (actual reasoning not included due to spoilers lolololol). For the most part I had to resort to the infamous "noob combo" just to complete the game, and this is before I've tried the game on Legendary (I played Heroic before anyone asks).

Don't even get me started with Hunters. Seriously.

You can, but it's generally impractical unless you manage to catch them in the right context, especially if you're solo. Sometimes you're better off just shooting them out of their vehicles instead.

In hindsight though, I might've done myself a lot of good if I just disabled the engines with a Plasma Pistol charged shot instead.

I personally find this a HUGE problem as far as some enemies are concerned. Enemy shields have gotten ridiculously strong to the point of rendering the majority of the weapons roster completely useless (I swear to god I used up the entiretly of my Carbine ammo to take down one bloody brute on multiple occasions) - and that's before you get to the ones which have freaking overshields that recharge in less than a second after they've drained (actual reasoning not included due to spoilers lolololol). For the most part I had to resort to the infamous "noob combo" just to complete the game, and this is before I've tried the game on Legendary (I played Heroic before anyone asks).

Don't even get me started with Hunters. Seriously.

I can endure a hunter no matter what, it's just the brutes that are going to be the pain. Their more swifter than a hunter and twice as annoying.

One thing:

The pistol is awesome.

It's like a fast firing, silenced sniper with a bit of nerf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back