Strange Missing Textures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jellybones

Lawful Neutral
Whenever I go into my stage, the other side of the wall seems like it has a missing texture..
srb20000-18.png

But when I move closer to it, it is normal.
srb20001-10.png

This happens to the four walls of sector 1. All the other walls look fine. And, I did texture the buggy walls in SRB2DB, and checked for missing textures, so I don't know what I am doing wrong.

It might be that your room is too big. Sometimes, when you make an enormous room, you run into unexplained glitches. Try shrinking it down and see if that improves anything.

Also, is that OpenGL Mode? Check what it looks like in Software Rendering; sometimes there's a glitch in one mode that isn't in the other.

fawfulfan said:
It might be that your room is too big. Sometimes, when you make an enormous room, you run into unexplained glitches. Try shrinking it down and see if that improves anything.

You mean going past the block map limit? My stage doesn't go past it:
map.png

Also, is that OpenGL Mode? Check what it looks like in Software Rendering; sometimes there's a glitch in one mode that isn't in the other.

I did check it in both modes. Same problem.

No, I'm not talking about going past the blockmap limit. In fact, I can see right from your map that I'm correct--the room IS too big. You see, just because you're not violating the blockmap doesn't necessarily mean that the size won't cause problems. With a room that big, the program will be unable to properly render the opposite wall if you're far away.

Also (this is not something you did, I'm just telling you in case this ever comes up) You DON'T want to even build CLOSE to the blockmap. If you get too near the blockmap, Things don't work properly. This has happened to me twice.

The way you build your map indicates that it might be a viewfieldproblem but the fact that it happens in OGL and software mode indicates that it is not a viewfieldproblem.

From what you said it sounds like you checked all linedeffs for missing textures. However sometimes depending on if your thokbarrier sector has a defined ground or ceiling texture, some missing textures will not be displayed as "missing" even though they are.

It might have to do something with overlayed sector borders, too. They usually cause errors but are often not displayed as errors when you ask doombuilder to check.

To be able to say more you would have to look inside the map in detail. Maybe you should provide a dl link so that someone can look why the errors appear or (keeping in mind that mappers often do not want to show their unfinished material) send someone who knew a little more about it a dl link.

Jellybones69 said:
So now I have to size it down..? Can I avoid doing that?
And there are way bigger levels than this, and I have never seen it happen to those.
Actually it is not a question of surface size but a question of the "rendered viewfield"'s size. SRB2 will try to render everything that is not bounded by a thok barrier even if you usually can not see what it tries to render.
This means, for example, that even two rooms that are placed in one line, that are not connected directly and sperated by walls can cause errors if inbetween them is "not nothing".
"Nothing" is everything behind the thokbarrier. Here the rendering process stops because there is nothing more to render.
This is the reason why you always should make you barrier shape your level and not just make one big square...

EDIT: No doublepost but he deleted his old one. :-/

Morph said:
This:
shapingxk7.png

^___^

Okay, but my level is in the shape of a square. And so is my thok barrier. It's hard to see that in the picture I posted though.

EDIT: @CHROME: That's one complicated level.. o.O

A lot of the space in your map looks like its not needed, maybe you can slpit parts of the map up by adding more thok barriers.

At your edit: Its just the complete Elven Peaks.

Chrome said:
A lot of the space in your map looks like its not needed, maybe you can slpit parts of the map up by adding more thok barriers.

At your edit: Its just the complete Elven Peaks.

The map isn't done, those empty spaces will be filled.

It was just an example but you are right... This is no solution for your problem. However without a downloadlink we can not say more. :|

There are plenty of reasons why it might not work... :-/

You need to add thok barrier walls where ever your map has uneeded space to avoid some of these errors.

Like, for example, if you make a wall that reaches the ceiling, make that a thok barrier.

Well...
What should I say. Linedef 5, 6, 7, 72, 104, 106, 120, 205 have missing textures.

The viewfield bug is occuring, too, but only if you are standing in one corner of the room and turn your view across the longest distance.

Also my Doombuilder did not classify this map as a SRB2map, which might have something to do with the fact that I am using normal Doombuilder, but maybe some of your db-configurations are broken, too.

Morph said:
Well...
What should I say. Linedef 5, 6, 7, 72, 104, 106, 120, 205 have missing textures.

The viewfield bug is occuring, too, but only if you are standing in one corner of the room and turn your view across the longest distance.

Also my Doombuilder did not classify this map as a SRB2map, which might have something to do with the fact that I am using normal Doombuilder, but maybe some of your db-configurations are broken, too.

My SRB2DB config is fine, I checked. I think it is because you use normal Doom Builder.

So, I can fix it by texturing the textureless linedefs?

It IS.
Morph is totally wrong. There are no missing textures.
And how do I know it?Because of this:
SRB2Thing.png

Red:As you can see, no missing textures were found.
Blue:Just to point out that.
Oh, aslo, there are too many rings on the stage. Get a Yellow Shield and you'll be the king of rings.
Well, for your problem, have you tried to split up both the stage walls and the thok barrier's walls?That's the only I got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back