Would SRB2, being based on a DOS game, be compatible with DOSBox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibri

(Forgive me if I have placed this in the wrong forum.)
SRB2, as you all know, is made with a heavily edited Doom Legacy engine.
The original Doom was a game made to be played on computers that support MS-DOS.
(I will not explain what MS-DOS is as it will make the post too long and susceptible to TL;DRs. If you must know what MS-DOS is, look it up and click on the very first link found.)
One of the many functions of it was to load up and play games like Doom. For its time, many games like Doom were state of the art. It was also used to install the earliest versions of the most common OS in the world, Windows.
Today, MS-DOS is no longer present in its entirety to modern computers, but now as a full product, used to bootstrap, troubleshoot, and for those old DOS games some may have lying around the house. Traces of MS-DOS are still present, however, they are strictly used for one task; starting up Windows.
Many people looking to play their old DOS games have, by now, already found a solution; DOSBox.
Which brings us to my question. Forgive me if I have gone far off topic.
If SRB2 is based on an engine designed to run a game made for MS-DOS, would an emulator like DOSBox be able to run SRB2?

There's so much wrong with that reply I don't even know where to begin.

Very early versions of SRB2 were for DOS. Pretty early on in the process (2002-2003, IIRC), the game was ported to be a proper Windows game and the DOS support was dropped. The "look" of the game has nothing to do with the operating system, as I've played many games with a retro look that have never ran on DOS. This one happens to have run on DOS at one point in time, but that has nothing to do with the graphical style.

No. The DOS port of SRB2 ceased being maintained back in Demo 3-4 or so.

What about the ones in Alam's folder here: "http://alam.srb2.org/SRB2_trunk/Dos/"? While the mainline SRB2 binary doesn't support DOS, there are still other unsupported, but relatively current builds elsewhere. Besides, it should also be possible to still build it from source if I'm not mistaking. Most of the older code was just commented out rather than purged, so shouldn't it be possible to build the DOS port even once 2.1 comes out?

As for why the graphics look the way they do Nibri, you can always try a different rendering mode such OpenGL if you don't like the blockiness, but be warned that this is also unsupported and quite buggy. If you decide to take a look at OpenGL mode, I recommend for you to take a look at the community build (SRB2CB) as it's currently a little less buggy than mainline (for offline use).

Last edited:
I said "ceased being maintained", not "impossible to compile a build for yourself". Just don't come to us when it breaks =P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back