• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Scrolling Flats & You - A guide to make this crap work

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're like me, you want to know how scrolling stuff works -- but no guides out there really actually tell you how to do it. Quoting the SRB2 Linedef Special guide,

Linedef length indicates speed and direction.

That doesn't tell you much, does it? No, it really does not.

First of all, make a control sector. If you don't know how to do this -- go away, learn the basics of SRB2 editing, and then come back. So, right, control sector. Give it a tag, etc. We tag the sectors we want to scroll just as we would if we were colormapping them.

Since I am scrolling water, the linedef type for this tagged linedef will be "Scroll Sector's Ceiling". Now, how do we tell the flat what direction and what speed to scroll?

scrollingsectors.gif

Depending on which linedef you tagged, decides on the direction of scrolling. The arrows I have marked here detail which direction is which. In my example image, the ceiling will be scrolling south. You can also take a corner of the linedef and move it to get diagonal scrolling as well.

The speed of scrolling is dependant on how long the linedef is. This is where WadAuthor's Grid setting comes in really handy - the default grid setting for WadAuthor is 64 "units" or whatever you'd call them. That means your flat would scroll at a speed of 64. The longer the linedef is, the faster the flat will scroll.

Chances are, this is the same way conveyor belts work, too.

I hope this helps!

Just so everyone knows, floor over floors don't scroll graphically in OGL. They work fine, though.

And I can't figure out why they won't scroll. I put in code that I thought might fix it, but they still don't move. *shrug*

I'm not horribly motivated to learn the guts of the hardware rasterizer.

Re: Scrolling Flats & You - A guide to make this crap wo

BlazeHedgehog said:
If you're like me, you want to know how scrolling stuff works -- but no guides out there really actually tell you how to do it.

You sure about that?

It's not finished, but it covers more than your guide does. Your diagram showing directions is only necessarily correct if all the linedefs are one-sided, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back