• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

This just might work...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lostgame

Anyone who works on the game has to read this,

Why not make an SRB2 special sector option that is a slope? You could make the main textures the height and width and stuff! Tell me, please why you cannot do this, and if you can, WHY HAVEN'T YOU ALREADY?

It'd make a nice addition to V 1.10...

ZDoom has slopes, Doom Legacy does not. Doom Legacy has a lot of neat features. Hence, we use Doom Legacy. We can't just add slopes trivially because they have to be rendered by the graphics engine. Trust us, if it were easy to make, we would have done it already.

Mmm... linear algebra....

vector cross products... echelon forms.....

I'm learning about all that cheese right now in skool.

Mystic hit the nail squarely on the head, lostgamemaker. It's not an issue of representing slopes in the map; that could be done pretty easily. It's a matter of rendering the slopes, making the physics work, and going back and changing a hell of a lot of code that assumes floors and ceilings are flat. Hard stuff. I do have a text on linear algebra around here somewhere, if I could ever get around to reading it.

Hotdog003, I think anyone who read that whole thing deserves a medal. I just came up with a way to do it, not simply suggesting that it be done.

P.S. Nice avatar.

pfft, you dont need slopes to have a snowboard race!

If you orient the camera properly, you can make it look like you're snowboarding down a slope.

Yeah, Skifree didn't have slopes! :P *decked*

It's completely different of course, but I'm sure you get the idea.

I think the problem is not showing slopes, because put enough steps into a starcase, and it effectively looks to the human eye to be a slope. The problem is the physics(spelling error prob. Don't kill me), meaning gravity, acceleration and the like. It would be very cool, but the best we can do is some sort of setting that would emulate that, meaning something like..."As long as a thing is in this sector, and is touching floor, and is not marked deaf, then increase speed by x amount in y direction." Hey, it could be possible. There is my 2000 gil on the subject

Sonicandtails218 said:
I think the problem is not showing slopes, because put enough steps into a starcase, and it effectively looks to the human eye to be a slope.

Not true. The slope in the inside part near the end of GFZ2 looks totally phony. Even looking from the top down, the texture is visibly distorted and wobbles. If you add more stairs than that, you're going to start punching holes in the framerate, which for me already dips a little near that part of the map.

What i'm saying, a441, is that although it would kill anyone's framerate, is that is you put enough steps, and screwed with the textures a bit, it would look like a slope. After all, graphics are just pixels, and although an "o" looks round, it is really blocky. (loses another 2000 gil)

What I'm saying is it wouldn't. It would look distorted, and the light levels wouldn't be right because of how walls are drawn differently from floors.

Mmmm... Doomsday hasn´t got slopes too... And has lots of cool things... They aren´t that necesary... I think is better to finish what hasn´t been done yet :?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back