• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Rocky Mountain Zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lostgame

To make up for my idiocy with mine maze zone, I've started rocky mountain zone, and it's about 9999 times better already. I wanted to know what you'd like to see in it. I'd do a poll, but I'm too lazy. Just tell me.

Well, there are only two textures for Rocky Mountain I think, but how about making some rapids at the bottom of the mountains.

EDIT: Better yet, send out a demo of the level, then people could see what they think needs done.

Thanks, SSC. I used lava instead because the next level is Red Volcano. What I've accomplished so far is here:

http://tails.50free.net/rocky_mountain.wad

Try it-You'll like it, it's short now, but cool. Just don't try going off the regular road. There's not that many secrets, actually I don't think there are any. You go off the road, you WILL die. If you don't, tell me, I need to fix it.

As for the textures-I don't believe in using textures that are level-specific. You'll see many textures (maybe) intended for Mine Maze, and various others.

It's version 1.08 only-some textures will screw up on lower versions.

It´s very good to be one of your firsts maps... I have seen some routes I wish you will fill them... And look the edge of the level, you can walk through it :? And framerate is low... I think there is for all those spikes... Remove some of them, they don´t do anything special there. Level ends inside the mountain... Doesn´t it? I like it ^_^ Next time make more platform zones, I thought in Rocky Mountain there were lots of challenges about that ;) Keep up the good work

ROCKY MOUNTAIN:

Emerging from the mines, you come across a huge mountain. While Sonic must find a way to scale this, Tails and Knuckles can use their abilities to the fullest. Be careful not to enjoy the scenery too much, as there are plenty of falling platforms and obstacles.

Not a bad start. A few suggestions:

1) Set rings to Deaf. This makes them hover a little bit over the ground. They look a lot better that way.
2) Take out those pointless floor spikes along the side of the mountain. They're killing the framerate.
3) In several places you seem to underestimate the power of the springs. There's a yellow spring at a jumpable height from another platform, and there's a red spring where a yellow one would suffice. Test the springs to make sure they don't go too high. In general, jumping can get you up 100 fracunits, yellow springs can get you up 416, and red springs can get you up 1024.
4) There are some sector closedness errors here (sectors are supposed to be closed polygons, some of yours aren't). It's probably because of linedefs that have the wrong front/back sectors. Check the raw linedef data and see if you can fix that. (Ctrl+K in WadAuthor will show a list of errors; the "Sector x is not closed" errors are what I'm talking about.)
5) It looks like there's only one path through the map so far. Adding multiple paths will increase the level's replayability a lot.

I mostly like the design so far, though. It's very nicely laid out.

No. You can jump up to 100, and pull yourself up onto a ledge an extra 24.

Thus, 124 is the absolute maximum for reaching another platform.

Act 2

Act 1 is almost done, I'm going to make act 2 almost completely vertical before act 3 is the boss ontop of the mountain (which will be a challenge, I promise). I'm fixing the problems with the level's sectors, thanks for the imput. :D Act 1 will be done soon so wait in suspense! Thanks a441 for all the help, as well as Knuckles MetalMind.

SSNTails said:
No. You can jump up to 100, and pull yourself up onto a ledge an extra 24.

Thus, 124 is the absolute maximum for reaching another platform.

Funny bug regarding this - you can pull yourself up on two different ledges in the same jump. So if there's a stair 64 units up and another stair 64 units above that, it's possible to jump both at once. My recent Carbon Catwalk map is a good one for demonstrating this effect.

It's okay, I never really liked the concept of RMZ myself, but AJ still hasn't said what, if anything, he's replacing it with.

Why not try to make your own stage next time instead of an srb2 one?

i think the reason LGM is making levels after planned SRB2 levels is obvious. Read his sig, and check up on the Sonic 2 Beta. He is making lost levels no longer lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back