2014, the Year of 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm guessing a C++ Rewrite is out of the question.

Wasn't Zdoom made with C++, why didn't you upgrade back in 2000?

I don't know if Zdoom is written in C++, but it wasn't as mature back then as it is now. You have to realize a lot of open source projects started out pretty small, so Zdoom didn't have proper netcode back then, if I'm remembering older posts on this forum correctly. Zdoom would be an obvious choice now, but not in the past.

Monster Iestyn: I meant RVZ2's original tune (the same one heard in beta quest from SRB2 the past), I know that BMZ2 used a MFZ remix, and im also fairly certain thats not going to be used for RVZ2.

Bluecore, I am sorry but everything you have been posting on this thread. Is just not completely right.

SRB2 is completely coded in C. Not C++ or Objective-C. If the game was moved to C++ or Objective-C, the game would just not function well unless somebody wants to put lots of time into coding it and getting it to work. In which I don't think nobody gonna do that. Because the game works and functions just perfectly. The netcode is quite understandable. Its not perfect, its a huge mess. And its just something that not even that important. If you had a look into the netcode your self, you would understand why it has not changed in so many years. Its a complete mess, and not worth fixing it up. But be my guess if you wanna change and fix up the netcode.

As for the ping limit idea you had in mind, Its a terrible idea, if a user over the sea wanted to play SRB2 online, and decided to host. He might be limited to 2 joiners only. While he could have more then 2. Its a terrible idea, and it would not work well at all on this game. But a ping limit command is possible. It will kick anyone who ping is over what the host input into the console. So that is something. Its not the host problem to cater to everyone needs. They host the server, and they choose the option. If you think its unfair that they are lagging terribly. Then just leave and join another server and wish the best for the next one.

As for the operation system stuttering the game for certain players. Keep this in mind, I used to play SRB2 on Windows XP with only one core, and 256MB of ram and to top it all off, I had a Intel graphic card in it, that was so outdated that it could not even run the original The Sims game properly.

But besides that point, That Windows XP I use could run SRB2 flawlessly, even with those specs. The operation system is not the blame. And to even add a bigger example. I am running a HP laptop with 8GB of ram, quad core and a Radeon graphic card, and it still runs this game flawlessly even with no stuttering what so ever. I've own every Windows release since Windows 95. And I've played SRB2 on every single one of them. Once again the operation system is not the blame. So those who think it is, Need to think that it is the server you join. If you host a game, do you notice any stuttering? No I don't think so. Its the servers it self. Even the greatest servers with a ping of 50, will stutter. Its something you must get used to. If you still can't live with it, then just go pick up SRB2CS and open its source code up, and take a look though it. And see if you can continue what LXshadow wanted to complete. Because nobody gonna take time into coding a netcode that will run fine for users. Its just so unorganized that its not even needed. Its just a huge mess.

Plus, its pretty much to late to move SRB2 to another version of Doom. It would cause more problems then what it needs. Its best to just leave it where it should be.

As for the operation system stuttering the game for certain players. Keep this in mind, I used to play SRB2 on Windows XP with only one core, and 256MB of ram and to top it all off, I had a Intel graphic card in it, that was so outdated that it could not even run the original The Sims game properly

Everything you just said, Except the Above Quote, was just a reiteration of everyone else posts, So commenting on the Quote.

Like I said Before.

Bluecore said:
The OS is not what that matter is, I have the Same problem Running Windows XP 64-Bit Edition. Haven't tried a 16-bit computer, nor do I have one at the moment, But I can say Srb2 should only be played up to a 32-bit comp.

And I'm going to put all my money down, and say that PC was not, 64-bit.

Srb2MBRules said:
Think before you post and use some common sense.
Thank You =3

Btw, If you're willing to spend money, Intel is not that bad of a Chip Maker.
Just go get an I7 4770M and you should be fine.

Everything you just said, Except the Above Quote, was just a reiteration of everyone else posts, So commenting on the Quote.

Like I said Before.

And I'm going to put all my money down, and say that PC was not, 64-bit.

Thank You =3

Btw, If you're willing to spend money, Intel is not that bad of a Chip Maker.
Just go get an I7 4770M and you should be fine.

I never said they we're a bad chip maker, but the Intel chip I had was just god awful. What can I say, it was a gateway computer built back in 2001. It could not even run the original Sims, It was made mostly for business instead.

But the real point is, I mention more then just Windows XP. I mention that I use all kinds of Windows operations systems to run SRB2. Including Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8. And never experience this so called stutter.

operations systems.

Dude. T_T

Bluecore said:
The OS is not what that matter is, I have the Same problem Running Windows XP 64-Bit Edition. Haven't tried a 16-bit computer, nor do I have one at the moment, But I can say Srb2 should only be played up to a 32-bit comp.

*in case you can't read quotes*
The OS is not what I am talking about, It's the Compute's Bits amount, mmkay?

Saying Windows (*Insert Name Here*) alone, means nothing because they range from 16, 32, & 64 Bit installations.

Good Night, I'm going to bed, before I die...

It's the Compute's Bits amount, mmkay?

x64 user here. Never had any problems.

And speaking of using common sense on the board, I'm assuming you're posting under full awareness that 64-bit Windows installments support a 32-bit instruction emulator system that is designed to eliminate the kinds of problems you are describing. We're using x64 systems, and it looks like your PC is the problem.

Regarding the function of the netcode, forgive me if I've interpreted it wrongly, but does it speed up or slow down user's individual games to match tics? 'Cause if it slows down/freezes to match tics there's your problem. Instead, the game should calculate frames ahead--or at least take a median, freezing some and speeding others--to resync.

But then again, I'm very easily reading wrong. I don't C (ha, ha) very well and I'm using the wiki documentation mostly to sort things out.

Last edited:

It could be that your computer is filled with random crap and you might need to defrag it. Also, XP is pretty outdated. Instead of testing it on a 16-bit computer, why not you get a Windows 7 or 8 upgrade instead of throwing money at something just to prove a point.

Honestly, considering the widespread nature of the issues, I think it's pretty clear that there is a bug involved here, but it's not as simple as people want to make it out to be. It seems completely random who does and doesn't have the issues, so it's not a trivial fix like testing it on a specific version of Windows or something like that. If someone can nail down the conditions that cause the issue to occur it's a lot more likely to get fixed. It's hard for us to fix something we can't even see happening on our end.

Would it be helpful if I posted some specs (and if so, what info do you think you'd need)? I believe it also happens on my laptop too, maybe I can dig that up as well.

One thing that's bugging me now: since THZ slime is no longer harmful, what has happened to the Grimmy Water gimmick? Has it been completely eliminated from oficial maps or will it be retextured in other places where it appears to differentiate it from normal slime?

I really hope it doesn't get scrapped, I've enjoyed the idea of damaging water with secrets and paths under it ever since discovering this game.

EGZ2 uses this texture:

GOOP09.png

Then not, it won't be eliminated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back