Z FREE : Wrong ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fizz

what do you do when that happens? how to fix? and why does that happen?
iHPK37I.png

Last edited:
Tell us what you were doing at the time when that happened?
i put some lua scripts, got rid of the blockmap lump, nothing much.
maybe in the middle of the building process i messed up with the sectors? i remember trying to build an entrance/escape for a place and built a square sector, hmm.
i load the map on zone builder, works, then i type MAP (MAPNAME) and then it types the Z_FREE : Wrong ID
on doombuilder it says map has no sectors, but that's weird, because i haven't changed anything, the level worked before that, why doesn't it now?

When loading it on opengl level loads fine, resetting 25 times and nothing happening.
when loading it on the original srb2win.exe, level loads, but after resetting map 5 times it gives Z_free wrong ID.
another thing : it also happens when changing to different maps and not just resetting to itself.
If you guys need to see it visually i can send a sample.

---------- Post added at 02:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 AM ----------

well this appeared in one random run of the tries :
Z_CheckHeap 420: block 2856 have the wrong ID
erm, how do i find that block exactly?. whats Z_CheckHeap 420?

sorry for all these questions but im kind of new to these terms.

Last edited:
well thats weird, i just tried literally 60 map resets on opengl and the game works 100% no crashes no problems, is it an optimization problem with software mode?

Since you seem to be getting this issue with a custom map, could you post the WADs being added to the game? Z_Free issues indicate that the game crashed trying to free some block of memory, which usually means something made an out-of-bounds memory write to corrupt one of the datasets holding memory management info. That could either be a serious bug on our part, or an issue with the WAD you're loading (indicating some way in which we need to better handle errors).

For the record, "Z_CheckHeap 420" means it's the Z_CheckHeap being called from Z_FreeTags. Just in case it helps to know, though I can't see how myself.

Whoops, forgot to inform you that I HAVE been testing the beta version of your map you linked last. Sorry about that!

The errors I got with the map did seem very strange indeed ...until I compiled a custom exe with memory debugging enabled, which has just been telling me there's problems with the memory relating to sectors.

THEN I loaded up the map in Zone Builder, and it told me one of the sectors in the map was unused and was removed. This might be what's going on, possibly.

I haven't tested the maps in the updated link yet, but if they have the same errors it may have an unused sector too I imagine. =V

EDIT: I can't seem to reproduce the crashes in CDCITY.wad alone so far, huh. It also doesn't have an unused sector according to Zone Builder.

Last edited:
well the story about this map its a map i made 4 years ago and somehow i decided to touch it 4 years later, i don't know why, but i did, i was 12 so i guess i messed up alot, and thats weird i didn't touch the sectors at all that much, just reshaped some entrances, weird...

anyway not gonna touch that map again because it's too messed up in memory lol, but i guess it will serve for nostalgia reasons for me and my friends.

Last edited:
Hm, just an update on debugging the issue (since it seems a good idea to check what's up anyway), I've just learned the unused sector isn't the cause of the crashes after all. That is, after making a copy of your map that has been saved with the unused sector removed.

Welp, I'm back to square one then I guess.

Hm, just an update on debugging the issue (since it seems a good idea to check what's up anyway), I've just learned the unused sector isn't the cause of the crashes after all. That is, after making a copy of your map that has been saved with the unused sector removed.

Welp, I'm back to square one then I guess.

i'm so confused.

Don't worry, I was confused too myself, lol.

See, the deal with this map is that it apparently exposed some memory-related problems, one of which at least we've now patched up for the next version.

If you wanted to know what the REAL issue in your map was, it was to do with some Solid, Invisible FOF linedefs having an upper texture of "#1". This it turns out, after a few things we didn't account for, made some stuff write to memory in places they shouldn't be written. I don't know if this is the whole reason why your map has been crashing, this would be one of the reasons at least if not. =V

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back