• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Spriting Question (Noob question warning)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'm am working on my first character wad with Camo man and I'm not sure what file I should save my sprites as to put them in XWE.
Oh and by the way I'm using photoshop CS to make the sprites.
:oops: If any one has an answer to this question please post! :|

You'll make me SMILE! :mrgreen:

Go to the how to make a char topic, and go to stars. Under character wad it says something about the frames. All the listed frames are ones you will need.

Normally, BMP's are used. The last time I imported a PNG, the sprite looked messy post conversion (That said, that was a while ago)

TheDarkArchon said:
Normally, BMP's are used. The last time I imported a PNG, the sprite looked messy post conversion (That said, that was a while ago)
Thank you sooooooooooooo much but would a photoshop psd file work or should i stick with bmp? :mrgreen:

srb2.srb is SRB2's main iwad. It contains everything except characters, music, and... weapon and NiGHTs Sonic graphics.

I suggest you open it in XWE and export any image from it to get the palette. The palette is really stored in "PLAYPAL" but XWE only exports it as a certain type of palette, which may not be what you need...

What? You don't know what an iwad is? Or a wad at all? Think of it as a zip file. Except without compression. Or folders. Or lowercase letters. Or names larger then 8 letters long. Or anything useful at all, really.

Actually, what I do is extract a player sprite as a BMP, and then open it in Paint Shop Pro, which automatically gives me the SRB2 palette to work with.

And typically, you should only save as .psd or .pspimage for drafting and for maintaining seperate layers. Because they're proprietary formats, they aren't good for importing into other programs or uploading to the web.

FoxBlitzz said:
Actually, what I do is extract a player sprite as a BMP, and then open it in Paint Shop Pro, which automatically gives me the SRB2 palette to work with.

And typically, you should only save as .psd or .pspimage for drafting and for maintaining seperate layers. Because they're proprietary formats, they aren't good for importing into other programs or uploading to the web.
By the way how big (in pixels) should it be.
Thanks for all your help I'll post a screen when I'm done one. One last thing though (I know i'm gettin ahead of myself but) what is a very good file host.
Thank you all of you for helping :mrgreen:

The size is 70x70, which is what you would get if you extracted the player sprite from the WAD.

FoxBlitzz said:
The size is 70x70, which is what you would get if you extracted the player sprite from the WAD.
Thank you for all of your help Foxblitzz. Nova and I have a lot of work ahead of use but thanks to you we know what to do! 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back