r543
Default Playable Sonic by r543

Ok, i started working on it and here is a sprite:

What should i change ?
r543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013   #2
ManicTH14
The Underground Wad Editor

Honestly that looks pretty realistic nice detail and everything i think you should keep the sprite as it is.
ManicTH14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013   #3
TheDoctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicTH14 View Post
Honestly that looks pretty realistic nice detail and everything i think you should keep the sprite as it is.
My thoughts exactly. I think it looks epic, keep it the same.
TheDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013   #4
MrDonoB

Default Dis Gon B Gud

Wow, Keep it like it is! I can't wait for this.
MrDonoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013   #5
Sparkz
Advanced FOFing Concepts

Looks fantastic but when I zoom in I can see transparent pixels around his neck & quills. It makes him look fluffy.Other than that, you have great pixel work. Awesome shading. Keep it up!!!
Old 02-24-2013   #6
sonicfreak94

I think you're all crazy and that the shading needs a lot of work. Sonic is not a pillow. His eyes and muzzle also need to be rounded. Additionally, his torso shouldn't be overlapping his muzzle; it's the other way around... unless you put Sonic's face behind his body o_o'

Here's an example where left is the original, and right is touched up:

(Here's 1x size if you need/want it.)

My shading isn't the best either, but I think it looks better than pillow shading, honestly. (And I rounded some stuff out a bit, of course)
sonicfreak94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #7
Larztard

Looks alot like Sonic from his recent 3D games. I like it but use the touch up that sonicfreak94 made. It won't look ugly.
Old 02-25-2013   #8
Ice
Pretty chill guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicfreak94 View Post
I think you're all crazy and that the shading needs a lot of work. Sonic is not a pillow. His eyes and muzzle also need to be rounded. Additionally, his torso shouldn't be overlapping his muzzle; it's the other way around... unless you put Sonic's face behind his body o_o'

(Here's 1x size if you need/want it.)it.

My shading isn't the best either, but I think it looks better than pillow shading, honestly. (And I rounded some stuff out a bit, of course)
Sonicfreak knows his shit, son. I definitely think the one on the right is better.
Otherwise, neat job! This style of sonic is usually only ever done in 3D-model form. Good to see someone making some decent sprites out of it.
Old 02-25-2013   #9
TSDude
Lack of tea

This is awesome, looks like the modern sonic in STH360.
Old 02-25-2013   #10
Larztard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSDude View Post
Actually it looks more like a Sonic Unleashed/Colors/Generations idle stance. In those games, Sonic's feet were perfectly straight and facing straight towards the player (like in the sprite above) while in Sonic 06, one foot is farther away from the other foot and they are facing diagonal from the player (if you were facing Sonic). Sorta like this:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Larztard; 02-25-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Larztard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #11
Deadpool The Hedge..
Marvel And DC Fan and Other

This sprite look's pretty nice it look's kinda similar to sprites I made. I know my sprite needs more shading. I drew my sprite's awhile back.

Here's are some of my sprites
Spoiler:

It's not really as good as I thought, but it look's alright, it was in the beta stage's at the time.

But honestly use SonicFreak94 edit looks more modern.

Last edited by Deadpool The Hedge..; 02-26-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Deadpool The Hedge.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #12
r543

I'm finally back and was surprised with all the feedback I got from this.
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicTH14 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
My thoughts exactly. I think it looks epic, keep it the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDonoB View Post
Wow, Keep it like it is! I can't wait for this.
Thanks for your feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkz View Post
Looks fantastic but when I zoom in I can see transparent pixels around his neck & quills. It makes him look fluffy.Other than that, you have great pixel work. Awesome shading. Keep it up!!!
What do you mean with "fluffy" ? I think it will look good in game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicfreak94 View Post

(Here's 1x size if you need/want it.)

Hi, I know you from Blitz Sonic.(Not sure if you know me because I didn't do many videos but I have almost every stage or character).
I never did 3d shading, so I don't know how to make it look good.(I can sprite and shade in 2d, but I never worked with 3d sprites).
I used the original sonic sprite, which has a white dot in the middle of the head, as a base sprite for this. I think that the outline needs to be dark like that. I already edited the eyes and muzzle a bit, not sure if they look better now. A early version of this sprite had the top eye pixels green, but I thought that it looked too bright.
I don't know on what to do with the shading on the side sprites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larztard View Post
Looks alot like Sonic from his recent 3D games. I like it but use the touch up that sonicfreak94 made. It won't look ugly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
Sonicfreak knows his shit, son. I definitely think the one on the right is better.
Otherwise, neat job! This style of sonic is usually only ever done in 3D-model form. Good to see someone making some decent sprites out of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSDude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by larztard View Post
Actually it looks more like a Sonic Unleashed/Colors/Generations idle stance. In those games, Sonic's feet were perfectly straight and facing straight towards the player (like in the sprite above) while in Sonic 06, one foot is farther away from the other foot and they are facing diagonal from the player (if you were facing Sonic). Sorta like this:
Spoiler:

It looks like the modern one because it's based off the su wiips2 model. Twilighzoney ripped the model with a special converter(someone started to work on a converter, but that one is cancelled now), so most of the rig was working. The only problem was the hands. The SU WII model has like 5 different hands for every action. The converter didn't create model groups, so all of the hands were on one part. It took some time to fix up the hands of the model, but now it's useable. I created animations with that model, so I can have easy 45 degree frames, and recolored the texture with srb2 colors(that didn't work well, so I'm reshading and coloring the complete sprite again).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool The Hedge.. View Post
This sprite look's pretty nice it look's kinda similar to sprites I made. I know my sprite needs more shading. I drew my sprite's awhile back.

Here's are some of my sprites
Spoiler:

It's not really as good as I thought, but it look's alright, it was in the beta stage's at the time.

But honestly use SonicFreak94 edit looks more modern.
I like your sprites, makes me think of one low poly sonic model that had the same colors like this one.
Old 03-22-2014   #13
STHE123O
Little Monster

Really like it so far! Good work.
STHE123O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #14
Maximus Universal
dat dere kiirby

I cannot wait until this wad is completed, this captures the "Modern Sonic" feel more than Sonicre.wad and Sonicce.wad, Both of which are outdated of course.
Old 03-23-2014   #15
r543

Updates !
I didn't work on srb2 for a long time, that's why there wasn't a update for this. I've read the posts and tried to make the sprite look better.(I didn't want to create pillowshading, but srb2 uses parts of that on the sprites too.)
The palette got changed a bit because I didn't like the light blue, but I changed it back now so you can see the shading a bit better:

Here are the new updated Idle sprites. Tell me what you think about them.
Old 03-23-2014   #16
Terra
Needy child

Some areas of the sprites look pillow shaded. Also, you should have asked sonicfreak94 if you were allowed to use his touched up sprite, and then base the rest of the frames from that.
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014   #17
r543

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic fan2000 View Post
Some areas of the sprites look pillow shaded. Also, you should have asked sonicfreak94 if you were allowed to use his touched up sprite, and then base the rest of the frames from that.
I have no idea on how to create that "light effect" on the 45 and 90 degree frames. I've changed the coloring a lot and it isn't pillowshading anymore.
Old 03-23-2014   #18
Terra
Needy child

On the fourth sprite his middle spike is too thin and his left spike seems crooked.
Old 03-23-2014   #19
r543

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic fan2000 View Post
On the fourth sprite his middle spike is too thin and his left spike seems crooked.

I changed the shading again, does this one look better now ?
Old 03-23-2014   #20
Terra
Needy child

It looks much better, through the mouth area in that sprite needs to be a bit more round.